The Student Room Group

Actual content of law degrees

Hi there,
basically i've just decided to have a gap year as i didnt want to go to my first choice (bath) to do german and italian.I would prefer to do something which is a bit more vocational or that I already have interest in already,so that narrows it down to German and Law or German and History.I got AAA in my A levels in Geography,German and History so could apply for both realistically at 'so called top' institutions.While with history degrees,the universities show exactly what units and what these offer on their websites,I have yet to find out what exactly I would do during a law degree,I know most law with languages degrees are 60% law and 40% languages,however very little beyond this on the law side.So are there any websites or books or prospectuses,anything which would give me an idea of what I would be doing during a law degree to give me a better idea please.
thanks
del_piero030405
Hi there,
basically i've just decided to have a gap year as i didnt want to go to my first choice (bath) to do german and italian.I would prefer to do something which is a bit more vocational or that I already have interest in already,so that narrows it down to German and Law or German and History.I got AAA in my A levels in Geography,German and History so could apply for both realistically at 'so called top' institutions.While with history degrees,the universities show exactly what units and what these offer on their websites,I have yet to find out what exactly I would do during a law degree,I know most law with languages degrees are 60% law and 40% languages,however very little beyond this on the law side.So are there any websites or books or prospectuses,anything which would give me an idea of what I would be doing during a law degree to give me a better idea please.
thanks

These would be the modules if you took straight law at Cam - not sure which would be replaced by language ones.
Secondly, law at uni is not 'a bit more vocational' - it is a purely academic discipline until you choose your career path. Writing about you want to do law because it is a vocational course will see your UCAS application binned in record time. If you want a vocational course, take business.

As for the content of a law degree there are 7 compulsory moduels (if you want to become a solicitor/barrister which I guess from your vocational reference you may wish to be) which, at this stage, you can probably guess the basics of but have no idea what they actually contain at degree level. They are:

Contract
Tort
Constitutional
Land (property)
Criminal
European Union
Equity and Trusts

Then you typically have a chocie of a variety of options to fill up the rest of the thre (or four, with a language) years (although the third year would probably be abroad anyway). Typically you get a choice of such things as company law, insolvency etc. but also options such as mental health law, legal theory, some policy related modules and the likes of dissertations. Basically, you can take a combo of whatever takes your fancy, so at the time you can say "what do I prefer? what am I likely to do well in?" and choose accordingly between black letter, theory, policy and dissertations.

Good luck with the application process.
Reply 3
Another example of the options which you can take (on top of the foundations):

http://www.ucl.ac.uk/laws/prospective/undergraduate/index.shtml?llb_hons

Latest

Trending

Trending