The Student Room Group

OCR 21st Century GCSE Science - P4 P5 P6 - 16th June 2017

Scroll to see replies

In the cgp revision guide it keeps saying learn the formulas but they do give the formulas at the begginging of the paper don't they?
Original post by tanisha04
In the cgp revision guide it keeps saying learn the formulas but they do give the formulas at the begginging of the paper don't they?

Yep.

Posted from TSR Mobile
predictions anyone
Original post by Lily 565
predictions anyone

As we've seen in this year's additional Chemistry paper yesterday, OCR seem to be simply reproducing questions. For this reason, I'd highly recommend you try as many past papers as possible before tomorrow.

In terms of predictions, however:

P4:
(Almost every six mark question in this module revolves around forces. In particular, we could see:
a question that assesses knowledge of the relationship between KE and GPE;
a question about safety features of modern vehicles - cause and correlation and explanation;
a question about friction - identify overriding/resultant forces (and calculate quantitatively) as well as other forces, such as a reaction force - types of friction(?);
a question targeted at the lower grades, explaining the motion of a car according to a velocity-time graph (i.e. identifying areas in which a vehicle is stationary, accelerating and at a constant speed.)

P5:
a question comparing the similarities and differences between a motor and a generator (as seen before);
a question solely on the theory behind a generator or motor or transformer - perhaps with data analysis;
a question about series circuits or parallel circuits or both (as seen in last year's paper);
a question about electromagnetic induction - explanation of factors and stating its applications: transformers and generators.

P6:
a question about Rutherford's scattering - conclusions with regards to the nature of a nucleus (an atom consists of mostly empty mass; positive and a tiny nucleus located in centre) with explanation;
a question about half-life - which isotope is more practical in a given context - the danger of highly active isotopes;
a question comparing energy production by nuclear fission and nuclear fusion - which is more practical by stating advantages and disadvantages;
a question solely about nuclear power stations that use a process of nuclear fission - incorporation of the key words: chain reaction, control rods, coolant, fuel rods;
a question comparing the three types of ionising radiation: alpha, beta and gamma.

I believe that at least half of the topics cited above have a high chance of coming up for each module.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by CandidateZero
As we've seen in this year's additional Chemistry paper yesterday, OCR seem to be simply reproducing questions. For this reason, I'd highly recommend you try as many past papers as possible before tomorrow.

P4:
(Almost every six mark question in this module revolves around forces. In particular, we could see:
a question about safety features of modern vehicles - cause and correlation and explanation;
a question about friction - identify overriding/resultant forces (and calculate quantitatively) as well as other forces, such as a reaction force - types of friction(?);
a question targeted at the lower grades, explaining the motion of a car according to a velocity-time graph (i.e. identifying areas in which a vehicle is stationary, accelerating and at a constant speed.)

P5:
a question comparing the similarities and differences between a motor and a generation (as seen before);
a question solely on the theory behind a generator or motor or transformer - perhaps with data analysis;
a question about series circuits or parallel circuits or both (as seen in last year's paper);
a question about electromagnetic induction - explanation of factors and stating its applications: transformers and generators.

P6:
a question about Rutherford's scattering - conclusions with regards to the nature of a nucleus (an atom consists of mostly empty mass; positive and a tiny nucleus located in centre) with explanation;
a question about half-life - which isotope is more practical in a given context - the danger of highly active isotopes;
a question comparing energy production by nuclear fission and nuclear fusion - which is more practical by stating advantages and disadvantages;
a question solely about nuclear power stations that use a process of nuclear fission - incorporation of the key words: chain reaction, control rods, coolant, fuel rods;
a question comparing the three types of ionising radiation: alpha, beta and gamma.

I believe that at least half of the topics cited above have a high chance of coming up for each module.

candidatezero and themightybadger got our backs lol - thank you for this!

P4:

P5:
a question comparing the similarities and differences between a motor and a generation (as seen before);

P6:

I'd say these are relatively firm predictions, although I find static electricity coming up quite likely. Look at the six marker in the first P456 paper for reference.

Edit: friction is likely to come up. Motor effect is very likely (e.g. what it is and its uses). For P6, I recommend disposing nuclear waste.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by TheMightyBadger
I'd say these are relatively firm predictions, although I find static electricity coming up quite likely. Look at the six marker in the first P456 paper for reference.

Edit: friction is likely to come up. Motor effect is very likely (e.g. what it is and its uses). For P6, I recommend disposing nuclear waste.

In simple terms could you explain to me what the motor effect is as someone explained earlier on in the thread and it still confuses me
I am dreading this exam. I don't have a very good teacher and he only taught us a little bit of P5, so I've had to rely on the revision guide :frown:
Original post by LlamaLikeEllie
I am dreading this exam. I don't have a very good teacher and he only taught us a little bit of P5, so I've had to rely on the revision guide :frown:

same omg!! :frown: and i'm doing P7
Original post by LlamaLikeEllie

same my teacher was terrible we didn't learn anything i hope the exam goes well tomorrow but its additional physics so i doubt it :frown::s-smilie:
Original post by mem123
In simple terms could you explain to me what the motor effect is as someone explained earlier on in the thread and it still confuses me

That would be me. I apologise. I will try to explain it more clearly:

The motor effect is where a current-carrying wire experiences a force in a magnetic field. If you imagine a rectangular coil of wire, there are two arms which have current flowing in opposite direction. Therefore, according to Fleming's Left Hand Rule, there will be forces on each arm of the coil in opposite directions, so as to produce anti-clockwise or clockwise motion. The tricky part is when the coil makes a half turn, which if you imagine, the current begins to flow in the opposite direction. Again, according to the rule, this would mean that opposing forces would act and the coil would simply spin back and forth. We therefore use a split-ring commutator which reverses the electrical brushes on each arm of the coil to reverse the change to the direction of the current - meaning that opposite forces continually act on each arm to produce clockwise or anti-clockwise motion. This allows a motor to be useful in appliances such as fridges and washing machines, in tyres of electrical cars and trains or simply in DVD players.
(edited 6 years ago)
That would be me. I apologise. I will try to explain it more clearly:

The motor effect is where a current-carrying wire experiences a force in a magnetic field. If you imagine a rectangular coil of wire, there are two arms which have current flowing in opposite direction. Therefore, according to Fleming's Left Hand Rule, there will be forces on each arm of the coil in opposite directions, so as to produce anti-clockwise or clockwise motion. The tricky part is when the coil makes a half turn, which if you imagine, the current begins to flow in the opposite direction. Again, according to the rule, this would mean that opposite forces would act and the coil would simply spin back and forth. We therefore use a split-ring commutator which reverses the electrical brushes on each arm of the coil to reverse the change to the direction of the current - meaning that opposite forces continually act on each arm to produce clockwise or anti-clockwise motion. This allows a motor to be useful in appliances such as fridges and washing machines, in tyres of electrical cars and trains or simply in DVD players.

Thanks i sort of get it dw its not your explanation thats bad its just me im not great at physics lol as you can tell and basically have not had a teacher for the past 2 years... also if it just asks what is a motor what would i say.
Original post by mem123
Thanks i sort of get it dw its not your explanation thats bad its just me im not great at physics lol as you can tell and basically have not had a teacher for the past 2 years... also if it just asks what is a motor what would i say.

It is a device that results in a rotation, and consequently causes objects to spin in a direction.
Original post by nish2910
same omg!! :frown: and i'm doing P7

We got taught about 1/3 of P7 too. And most of that was him just talking at the front for 10 minutes, and then giving up some worksheet for the rest of the lesson whilst he goes to talk to his favourites at the back. This is usually about 1/3 lesson through as well, as he spends about 20 minutes just doing the date and getting his powerpoint up.
Exam done; I thought it was okay, I wouldn't say it was as good as chemistry or biology however.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I found it really hard. Does anyone know if there are threads for the 7s so we can do prediction and stuff? Well done to everybody for whom this was their last exam, extremely jealous of you.
Reply 56
That was hard ngl
And I didn't even see that current was in mega amps in the second 6 marker
Reply 57
alright i guess. was it two sequences of half life? unofficial mark scheme would be appreciated
Original post by kilner
alright i guess. was it two sequences of half life? unofficial mark scheme would be appreciated

That's what i got
Reply 59
was i right to work out the rate of decelleration from 40-80 seconds for the first 6 marker? as well as commenting on speed etc?

also the friend was wrong, yeah? each lamp would be 4A

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending