The Student Room Group

What to buy on your first shopping trip at Uni?

Couldn't find a more specific board :smile:

First years, what are you planning on buying on your first trip to the shops 'away from home'? Returning students, what did you buy? Try and make a general list (e.g don't bother putting down stuff you like personally, list stuff most people should want/need)

Crate of beers
Pasta
Tinned tomatoes
Couple of long life ready meals (for 'emergencies')
Any utensils not provided in your accommodation

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I think generally, alot of food and drinks :smile:...
When I move to London in two and a half weeks, I'm going to have to buy bed linen first, then some groceries. After that, probably some adapters for my electronics.
Reply 3
food drink and cleening stuff everything else im buying before i go.
Reply 4
does everyone go food shopping on moving in day?
Reply 5
Food and Drink, pasta, rice staples, cooking oil, Tommy sauce, tinned goods. My dads buying it so just enough to keep me in my first month. I'll get him to buy fruit and veg because after that i'll be too skint to afford it.
Don't people just buy stuff and take it with them to save doing it when you get there? :s-smilie:
Reply 7
i'm getting some food and that before i go. well my mum as ordered it from tesco to come to my house on the thursday night, and i move in on the saturday! i guess I'll probs have to buy stuff like milk, bread and stuff that goes off quickly on the day i move in, but it probs just be a quick nip down to the union shop, rather than a full tesco shop!
Reply 8
I have a mental list of stuff which is enough to get sorted for 24 hours. I'll get a crate of beer, a couple of bottles of wine, some pasta, some pre-made pasta sauce (I'd normally make my own but for the first night there are some perfectly decent pre-made ones) Some bread, butter, ham, cheese, eggs and milk. I'd probably get some flour as it will be needed in all sorts of things you might want to make.
Reply 9
Booze - probs some spirits as most people will bring beers!
Pasta
Cheese
Bread
Marge
Marmite
Tea
Milk
Sugar

everything to get me through the first few days until I've settled in really!
Reply 10
I've just bought a insulated mug so i can take tea to lectures, yummy.
Reply 11
trousers
Reply 12
Cereal.
Reply 13
And milk.
I did £49 shop when my parents dropped me off and had unloaded the car.
Reply 15
nando's sauce
Reply 16
yeah hopefully my parents will take me for a shop when they drop me off. a food shop would be ace........il get some berries and meat...the expensive stuff i wont be able to afford after my parents leave me! pasta and tinned stuff is good too for when you dont have any fresh food about.
Dried herbs and spices
Salt
Pepper
Milk
Butter
Eggs
Tinned tomatoes
Cheese
Ketchup
Bread
Mayonnaise
Soy sauce
Noodles
Pasta

You need the basics like these before anything else...
Reply 18
Guess im the only one that doesn't like pasta :eek:
Cold pasta is proper student food! :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending