The Student Room Group

If i Decline a grade and DO NOT resit any units, do i lose the grade?

I got a D in one of my AS subjects, im declining everything and relying on predictions due to uni and 'looking good' on the ucas form. This AS i will not take further, but i just want to keep it hidden for the unis, they all want a pass in your 4th AS, and mine is a pass. But i wasn't planning on retaking any units, my teacher says if you decline a grade and do NOT re-sit a unit, you will lose the grade. Is this true?

This site touches on it with the diagrams, but im still unsure. Can someone please let me know ASAP.

Thanks alot! :smile:
T_Bag
I got a D in one of my AS subjects, im declining everything and relying on predictions due to uni and 'looking good' on the ucas form. This AS i will not take further, but i just want to keep it hidden for the unis, they all want a pass in your 4th AS, and mine is a pass. But i wasn't planning on retaking any units, my teacher says if you decline a grade and do NOT re-sit a unit, you will lose the grade. Is this true?
Yes - you won't get an AS certificate for it. Therefore the grade does not exist. Therefore you won't have to list it in your UCAS application.
Reply 2
Mustard-man
Yes - you won't get an AS certificate for it. Therefore the grade does not exist. Therefore you won't have to list it in your UCAS application.

But say i do want to show unis i did a 4th AS, but not show the grade of course and make it 'pending', will I have to retake a unit now in order to keep the D? On the upside one unit might get it up to a C :biggrin:
T_Bag
But say i do want to show unis i did a 4th AS, but not show the grade of course and make it 'pending', will I have to retake a unit now in order to keep the D? On the upside one unit might get it up to a C :biggrin:
If you put the AS grade as pending, then they may think that you've just taken up an extra AS in your second year of A-level studies. Unless it was mentioned in your reference by your teacher...

If you want to cash-in your AS grade next year by resitting a unit, then make sure your exam officer enters the AS cash-in code, not the A2 one.
Reply 4
Mustard-man
If you put the AS grade as pending, then they may think that you've just taken up an extra AS in your second year of A-level studies. Unless it was mentioned in your reference by your teacher...

If you want to cash-in your AS grade next year by resitting a unit, then make sure your exam officer enters the AS cash-in code, not the A2 one.

Oh im declining everything, so it should seem fine, but in the A2 section it wont have A2 pol.
Reply 5
I'm declining my AS grade, if I resit a unit of my AS I'll be able to cash it in as normal with my A2s at the end of the year?
thanks.
Reply 6
yes nitasha that should be fine.
I'm not sure about this, so really I'm asking a question out of curiosity more than anything else, but would it not be possible to just apply to re cash in your grade in the next session with your original marks and say you'd changed your mind about resitting? That way the unis wouldn't see your D when you first applied, but they'd see it when they got all your results from UCAS in August of Year 13, so they'd know you'd satisfied the 4th AS requirement. I'm sure it must have happened before that someone declined their grade because they intended to resit, but then changed their mind because they had too much work or something.

nitasha.: Yes, that's fine, just make sure your exams officer cashes in your AS at the same time as your A2s.
Reply 8
I think new rules have come into place that you no longer have to decline?
M_P
I think new rules have come into place that you no longer have to decline?
They come into place for the Jan 2007 exam session.

http://thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=6074436&postcount=2

kellywood_5
I'm not sure about this, so really I'm asking a question out of curiosity more than anything else, but would it not be possible to just apply to re cash in your grade in the next session with your original marks and say you'd changed your mind about resitting? That way the unis wouldn't see your D when you first applied, but they'd see it when they got all your results from UCAS in August of Year 13, so they'd know you'd satisfied the 4th AS requirement. I'm sure it must have happened before that someone declined their grade because they intended to resit, but then changed their mind because they had too much work or something.
Late cash-in right? I was thinking of that, because last time I had to do one on results day. But months after it? Not sure tbh... What you said does make sense, nonetheless ;yes;
Reply 10
mustard man so if someone is reapplying to medicine after failure to get in unis can see module scores?
Reply 11
kellywood_5

nitasha.: Yes, that's fine, just make sure your exams officer cashes in your AS at the same time as your A2s.

So how do i go about doing that kelly? If it helps, im doing all my other real retakes privately somewhere out of school in Januaray, but if i did the 'fake retake', my school does it in July... so maybe after my ucas is sent in Jan or something i can say oh btw i dont't want to retake? ...but im very scared of losing my precious D, it is a pass damn it lol.

Latest

Trending

Trending