The Student Room Group

Help Please

I really need some input from an outsider's perspective as I'm going out of my head back and forth with options.

Basically I'm waiting to hear about a fantastic job opportunity, but if it doesn't come about I'm left with this option....

An HND at college (it's Mon, Tues, Weds, inside the hours 9.30 to 4.15, maybe earlier finish if they can work it - provisional timetable), the "job" as a volunteer position (probably one day a week and the odd meeting, 90% school term times) and 30 points of an OU Foundation Degree.
Second year of the HND, the 60 point Foundation Degree. Then third year finish the Foundation Degree and hopefully, by then the job is paid work.

The jobs been offered to me, I've been doing it as a volunteer for a while, but there's a chance they may decide I need to be qualified or working towards to be paid for it.

I've spoken to an OU Careers advisor and he seemed to think it was silly to do two qualifications at the same level, but people have two degrees or do seven A Levels so I'm not really sure where he's coming from.

The Foundation Degree will also give me a professional qualification (JNC).

But, am I taking on too much?

Background, I have 1 A*, 5 A, 3 B at GCSE and didn't attend school from November of Yr11 so self taught. I have a D in AS Law (also self taught as I stopped attending lectures) and ABB at A Level (predicted D's again very low attendance around 35% due to health problems). Health problems now sorted.

Any input would be massively appreciated. Hope I've posted this in the right place (have posted in OU too but wanted a range of opinions/input)
I don't really understand this whole foundation degree thing, but your GCSE's and A levels are really good and with extenuating circumstances (your health) you could get into a great uni to study something...of course only if that appeals to you.
Reply 2
I can't really go away to a traditional university unfortunately. Family problems and disability means I can't really look after myself.
Reply 3
Whats the options an HND or the foundation degree and job, or both?
Reply 4
I'm not sure if both are actually an option, I think it's up to my university. But does it seem like too much work?

Is it pointless to take max four years and at the end of it have a foundation degree and an HND? Should I just do one or the other?
Reply 5
I would do one or the other. I think the HND would be better, but if your getting a professional qualification from the foundation degree then thats probably best.

They both have a similar standing, both at the same sort of level, so do what you think you will enjoy the most. i think its pointless doing both.

With those grades, i'm sure you could do a BA (Hons) degree or something, with JNC accreditation instead of foundation level.

Some unis may let you do distance learning, so you may not have to use OU, it might be worth looking around.
Yes you could try a distant learning or open Uni course =]
Reply 7
Thanks, I hadn't even thought about distance learning at a regular university, have no idea how the practicalities of that would work.

However, I took your advice and looked up the BA(Hons) equivalent of the FD as I think at the moment at least it's where my heart lies. And they actually offer it at Marjons which is only about 60 miles from me. So I emailed them and the woman replied this morning asking for some more information from me and she's going to email me the timetables tomorrow :smile: Fingers crossed there's a space and a way around this somehow.

Thanks again
Reply 8
Thats good! :biggrin:
Reply 9
I have an interview Friday :smile:

Any ideas about information around changing universities?

Latest

Trending

Trending