The Student Room Group
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

Oxford Graduate Application 2012/13

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1980
Original post by Athena
Heh, the person on the 2009/10 stats used to use TSR...

*racks brains* sjuthani?
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
Original post by cyclops
The other day I told one of my mates that I received an offer from Oxford. He said that postgraduate applications to Oxford, especially the masters, were not very competitive. I was given a link to admissions statistics, and honestly I was a bit shocked.

http://www.ox.ac.uk/about_the_university/facts_and_figures/graduate_admissions_statistics/index.html

My response was "If most applicants are very good, then admission statistics don't tell much." He doubted me, "Is that a fact or a hypothesis?"

By the way, he's Harvard-educated. And I am not sure if I want to get back at him. *sighs*

Once you're at interview, assuming they interview the same number, then your chance is roughly equal each year. However, if more people apply then the chance of getting an interview necessarily decreases.

As for whether it's competitive, I think it's reasonably certain the answer is yes. When you get told that the department you're applying for rejects half the applicants before interview, you know things are getting tough. At the interview I was told that there were three days of (I would guess, based on the timing) 14-16 people. Crazy stuff!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1982
Original post by Rams
Can I just say 'ditto, ditto' ? I had a talk with my Dad just yesterday about a loan, and he said I could use some property in my parents name as collateral to take out a loan. And this for a second masters - I already have a masters which could earn me good money, but (for no logical reason and out of pure interest) I want to pursue another masters. By taking a massive loan. To eventually work in a field which pays peanuts.

Oh, and I should also add that I will most probably come back to India where I will earn in rupees, while my loan is in pounds, so that makes the problem about 80 times worse. Everything about this screams madness. Gah!

I have just realised how awful my English is when I'm sleepy. By loaning, I mean securing a loan. Well, they are two very different things lol.

Hey, you still have a chance to work in the UK after graduation (subject to visa rules). This may not be ideal, but at least it could greatly ease your financial burdens. Just a thought. :smile:
Reply 1983
Original post by Whiternoise
Once you're at interview, assuming they interview the same number, then your chance is roughly equal each year. However, if more people apply then the chance of getting an interview necessarily decreases.

As for whether it's competitive, I think it's reasonably certain the answer is yes. When you get told that the department you're applying for rejects half the applicants before interview, you know things are getting tough. At the interview I was told that there were three days of (I would guess, based on the timing) 14-16 people. Crazy stuff!

I got my offer back in January, and my department doesn't normally interview Masters applicants. The process was by and large a black box to me, and before I knew it, I got an offer. At my department, for every two applicants, they make one offer. While I cannot deduce much from the statistic, and cannot reasonably assume ceteris paribus to make comparisons with the American system, I can take this as an indication of risk which is worth investigation. I refuse to trust the brand of Oxford and prefer consulting other relevant data and evidence. Hope this makes sense. :smile:
Anyone got reply from Mphil in International relations?:smile:
@strivingon: have you been interviewed yet?
Reply 1986
Original post by Moliyadi
@strivingon: have you been interviewed yet?

There is no interview process for MPhil IR. At least, their website does not state so. :s-smilie:
Reply 1987
Original post by cyclops
I refuse to trust the brand of Oxford

This is sensible, I think. I like the place, and I'd trust a surprising amount of the people, but the university as a whole is a big system set up to work in its own self-interest, regardless of what its employees do, like any other university. I wouldn't trust it any further than I could throw it.
Original post by Scout-
There is no interview process for MPhil IR. At least, their website does not state so. :s-smilie:

Have u got reply from IR?:smile:
Reply 1989
Original post by cyclops
I got my offer back in January, and my department doesn't normally interview Masters applicants. The process was by and large a black box to me, and before I knew it, I got an offer. At my department, for every two applicants, they make one offer. While I cannot deduce much from the statistic, and cannot reasonably assume ceteris paribus to make comparisons with the American system, I can take this as an indication of risk which is worth investigation. I refuse to trust the brand of Oxford and prefer consulting other relevant data and evidence. Hope this makes sense. :smile:

Just listen to yourself...:rolleyes: 'Risk'? What you're talking about here is nothing more than the possibility that some of the people on your course may not be quite as brilliant as you. And even if that's the case, what of it? Oxford does have a reputation to lose, so they can't afford to lower their criteria for admission so much they'll take anything with a pulse, even for undersubscribed courses. So you'll never wind up in a situation where your coursemates are so dim it will actually affect your own performance and your enjoyment of the course. The 'worst'-case scenario is that you end up outshining your coursemates by a bit - but surely that's what you were hoping to do anyway?
Sorry if I'm sounding a little aggressive here... Obviously I realise that it's a lot of money so you don't want to decide rashly, and I'm actually not one of the people who subscribe to the idea that offer-holders ought to be unquestioningly 'grateful' and turning down an Oxford offer borders on sacrilege. But for one thing, it's pretty obvious that your dilemma can't be solved by comparing application statistics and success rates, bcause you'll never be able to determine the quality of applicants to assess the true 'risk' of having a coursemate whom you consider less than brilliant - that risk will apply wherever you go, and even a ridiculously low success rate isn't a foolproof safeguard against that. And for another, going on about it at such length is a wee bit tactless towards those applicants who were unsuccessful... There were several of those posting only on the previous page, and there may be more who didn't even want to post about their rejections. I'd imagine the last thing they'll need now is a successful applicant deliberating for months whether the course and the people on it might not actually be beneath him.:erm:
Reply 1990
Original post by hobnob
Just listen to yourself...:rolleyes: 'Risk'? What you're talking about here is nothing more than the possibility that some of the people on your course may not be quite as brilliant as you. And even if that's the case, what of it? Oxford does have a reputation to lose, so they can't afford to lower their criteria for admission so much they'll take anything with a pulse, even for undersubscribed courses. So you'll never wind up in a situation where your coursemates are so dim it will actually affect your own performance and your enjoyment of the course. The 'worst'-case scenario is that you end up outshining your coursemates by a bit - but surely that's what you were hoping to do anyway?
Sorry if I'm sounding a little aggressive here... Obviously I realise that it's a lot of money so you don't want to decide rashly, and I'm actually not one of the people who subscribe to the idea that offer-holders ought to be unquestioningly 'grateful' and turning down an Oxford offer borders on sacrilege. But for one thing, it's pretty obvious that your dilemma can't be solved by comparing application statistics and success rates, bcause you'll never be able to determine the quality of applicants to assess the true 'risk' of having a coursemate whom you consider less than brilliant - that risk will apply wherever you go, and even a ridiculously low success rate isn't a foolproof safeguard against that. And for another, going on about it at such length is a wee bit tactless towards those applicants who were unsuccessful... There were several of those posting only on the previous page, and there may be more who didn't even want to post about their rejections. I'd imagine the last thing they'll need now is a successful applicant deliberating for months whether the course and the people on it might not actually be beneath him.:erm:

Hear hear. :wink: And adding my own two cents - I don't think the OP ought to decide whether to go to a university or not solely on the basis of the brilliance of the potential classmates. Surely, one of the main reasons why all of us here want an Oxford education is because it offers top-notch professors and research facilities?
Reply 1991
Original post by strivingon
Have u got reply from IR?:smile:

No, not even a peep from the admissions office yet. I hope next week brings some good news. :s-smilie:
(edited 12 years ago)
I got in!!! :smile: Masters english 1550-1770, offer came in post last night but I was away. WOOOOO so so happy right now! Good luck to everyone still waiting
Original post by Scout-
No, not even a peep from the admissions office yet. I hope next week brings some good news. :s-smilie:

I hope so
:biggrin:
Reply 1994
Original post by Athena
Can't remember his TSR username - something to do with farm animals maybe - but he's a Wadhamite :smile:

Not him, then. sjuthani was at Teddy Hall.:smile: The only Wadhamite I remember (apart from you, obviously) was someone called Popa Dom who had a sig featuring a quote from Wadham toilet graffitti...
Original post by hobnob
Not him, then. sjuthani was at Teddy Hall.:smile: The only Wadhamite I remember (apart from you, obviously) was someone called Popa Dom who had a sig featuring a quote from Wadham toilet graffitti...

Tasteful:cool:
Original post by Scout-

Original post by strivingon
I hope so
:biggrin:

The MPhil in IR does not interview, but also no one ever hears from them before the date they give in late March.
Reply 1997
Original post by Mutley1985
Well said buddy! These guys appear to me to be a bunch of pseudo-intellectuals posturing before arriving at Oxford. Ofcourse they are thrilled, it's an incessant quest, I feel, to perhaps vociferously demonstrate that they are the 'analytical sort' Oxford is looking for. Whilst perhaps these questions need to be asked, I would have thought the stage to voice such concerns would have been before submitting applications rather than after receiving an offer. FYI- I was rejected the other week for an MPhil.

My girlfriend however, was accepted. So I'm both thrilled and disappointed .

If you think I am one of those pseudo-intellectuals, you are mistaken. Actually I am one of idiots. There is so much that I do not know (that's why I keep asking), and I commit logical fallacies from time to time (that's why I am increasingly sceptical - and doubt even my own judgment). I can accept that much, but never a pseudo-intellectual.

Regarding your proposition regarding asking the question before vs. after receiving an offer, I doubt your rationale. Suppose you are a vegetarian, and you've just realised that the flight booking form does not ask about your food preferences. Now you wonder if the flight serves vegetarian food.

Is voicing your concerns after you book an air ticket appropriate? Can one be allow to have questions coming up to their mind a little too late (not ideal) but still not too late to cancel the booking?

I'm sorry to hear that you do not get the offer. The other day I received a funding rejection (not Clarendon, and I don't have much hope for receiving Clarendon funding). So on the same day, I made a loan application with a local bank, undoubtedly the largest debt in my life, with my parents' house at risk (as a collateral). The admissions statistics freaked me out a bit, for one cannot be careful enough in making such possibly suicidal investment. Hope I didn't offend you or anyone by being insensitive and posting such questions. If I did, you have my sincere apologies.
Still waiting.... Come on QEH, hurry up!
Reply 1999
Has anyone heard from the Engineering Science Department regarding DPhil ???

The silence makes me crazy...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending