The Student Room Group
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

Oxford Graduate Application 2012/13

Scroll to see replies

Original post by happyphoenix
Finally got my letter in post today for the English 1800-1914 Mst. - it was a rejection! :frown: Sad, sad times. Trying not to feel too sorry for myself... looks like I'll have to try again for PHD next year *sigh*

So sorry, happyphoenix! Keep your chin up
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
Finally got my letter in post today for the English 1800-1914 Mst. - it was a rejection! :frown: Sad, sad times. Trying not to feel too sorry for myself... looks like I'll have to try again for PHD next year *sigh*

Really sorry to hear that. All the best with your other applications (and next year's Oxford DPhil!).

I'm sorry to hear that :frown: But you'll go to another amazing university and you 'll do great and next year you can reapply :smile: What is your second choice?
Thanks so much guys for the lovely comments :smile:

My second choice is Queen Mary, University of London, where I'm at now just finishing up my degree.

Oxbridge isn't the be-all-and-end-all I know, but I did fall in love with Oxford after going to the open day and would love to study there one day, but who knows... all we can do is do our best and stay positive :smile: I really want to end up working in academia so am determined to realise that dream whatever, Oxbridge or not :smile:
Reply 2204
Thanks so much guys for the lovely comments :smile:

My second choice is Queen Mary, University of London, where I'm at now just finishing up my degree.

Oxbridge isn't the be-all-and-end-all I know, but I did fall in love with Oxford after going to the open day and would love to study there one day, but who knows... all we can do is do our best and stay positive :smile: I really want to end up working in academia so am determined to realise that dream whatever, Oxbridge or not :smile:

QMUL is an outstanding college. Had I not gotten into Oxford I might well have gone there. Their History department in particular is superb.
Reply 2205
Original post by ScreenwriterX
This is my first post here, and ARRRRGGGHHH! I'm on pins and needles waiting for my decision for the M.St. in English and American Studies. I noticed on thegradcafe that everyone who has posted his or her results for English has received an acceptance. I may be overanalyzing this, but I can't help to wonder that the acceptances are being delivered first, followed by the waitlisters, and then the rejections - the last category in which I'm starting to believe I'm going to be included. I know that some people have posted that Oxford sends out rejections and acceptances simultaneously, but now I'm filled with self-doubt.

Questions:

1. To those of you who have already heard that are not in the UK, did you hear by e-mail or snail mail? If by e-mail, what time of the day are these usually sent out? Any rejections...or all acceptances at this point?

2. To those of you who have received funding, did you find out early, or were you some of the last people to hear from your department about your acceptance and scholarships?

I've been checking my e-mail obsessively, calculating the time difference between the UK and US Central Time Zone. Sheesh. I think I'll die waiting for this!

As I already said, I got my offer for Mst English and American via email at 8.30 pm on Friday, and my name is middle-ish in the alphabet (they might be working in alphabetical order).

I did specifically request this, as I live in Denmark, and still have not received the physical letter itself, so there is definitely still hope for you! Good luck and keep your chin up :smile:
Reply 2206
Original post by Scout-
Yes, and what a darn exasperating wait it is! I have been having nightmares for weeks now, eating way too many potato chips, and I am ready to bite the heads off even mildly irritating people. :eek: I'm not always Buddha-like but this shakiness of the nerves is making me kind of wish that I could sleep tonight and wake up only a week later by which time IR department's "late March" will have arrived. :unimpressed:

Which programme have you applied for?

I have applied for a MPhil in International Relations.

I really understand how stressed you can feel. People keep asking me if I feel alright because it seems I am going to cry at any moment. But well if I have to wait one more week I may start to cry for real ...
Got my rejection letter in the post today.

I'm really devastated. As I'm sure you all did, I spent hours and hours on the application, and my £50 application fee came out of my food budget for October. Had I got in, it would've been the best £50 I ever spent! Not sure what more I could have done to maximise my chances - I have a first class degree in English, a year working as SU officer, lovely referees and a painstakingly written research proposal.

I think it's that my research proposal ('problematic' or censure-inducing sexuality in modern American literature) is too contemporary/doesn't match up to Oxford or Cambridge lecturers' fields but I kind of want to shout, well if you don't take one a student studying this unusual new area, how do you expect to be ahead of the curve?! I suppose they'd argue that they are at the forefront of research in Renaissance/Modernist/Romantic literature and have that covered in such a world leading manner to be able to leave late C20th developments to Sussex or Warwick. I predict I'll come up against this dichotomy at PhD level too.

I've got offers elsewhere but there's no denying the cachet of Oxbridge. Thanks for your support and good luck to everyone en route to dreaming spires.
Reply 2208
Just came home to my D.Phil in History rejection.

I really can't complain, I get to choose between Cambridge and Exeter.

Best of luck to all those still waiting.
Reply 2209
Original post by AmericanLit
Got my rejection letter in the post today.

I'm really devastated. As I'm sure you all did, I spent hours and hours on the application, and my £50 application fee came out of my food budget for October. Had I got in, it would've been the best £50 I ever spent! Not sure what more I could have done to maximise my chances - I have a first class degree in English, a year working as SU officer, lovely referees and a painstakingly written research proposal.

I think it's that my research proposal ('problematic' or censure-inducing sexuality in modern American literature) is too contemporary/doesn't match up to Oxford or Cambridge lecturers' fields but I kind of want to shout, well if you don't take one a student studying this unusual new area, how do you expect to be ahead of the curve?! I suppose they'd argue that they are at the forefront of research in Renaissance/Modernist/Romantic literature and have that covered in such a world leading manner to be able to leave late C20th developments to Sussex or Warwick. I predict I'll come up against this dichotomy at PhD level too.

I've got offers elsewhere but there's no denying the cachet of Oxbridge. Thanks for your support and good luck to everyone en route to dreaming spires.

I really dont know what oxford looks for. My brother got AAAA in A levels , 89 % in undergrad from Reading uni , 80 % in post grad from reading uni , a year of placement in one of the top 3 uk companies ,, and he got rejected,, he didnt even had to write a research proposal , it was DPhil advertised in oxford university website ,, I am really loosing my faith in oxford
Reply 2210
Original post by engm
I really dont know what oxford looks for. My brother got AAAA in A levels , 89 % in undergrad from Reading uni , 80 % in post grad from reading uni , a year of placement in one of the top 3 uk companies ,, and he got rejected,, he didnt even had to write a research proposal , it was DPhil advertised in oxford university website ,, I am really loosing my faith in oxford

From what my personal tutor who went there told me, in MSt applicants they already look for PhD potential, i.e. defined research interests and potential thesis topic, which is focused and viable.

I am sure your brother was a worthy candidate, though I guess for Oxford grades aren't everything, and they do say, that for PhD applicants they encourage things like teaching and past research that one did of one's own volition.

Similarly, they also base it on who they have that can supervise one's project, so if your brother was interested in something really non-oxonian, therein might lie the problem. At the end of the day, you just never know and it is worth re-applying.
Reply 2211
Gosh, I feel like such an idiot not remembering which college I put as my first choice! Just thought I'd share that. Now I am desperately trying to retrace my decision making steps, which leave me with around 7 options, which isn't terribly helpful. Sigh. :frown:
Original post by misha j.
Gosh, I feel like such an idiot not remembering which college I put as my first choice! Just thought I'd share that. Now I am desperately trying to retrace my decision making steps, which leave me with around 7 options, which isn't terribly helpful. Sigh. :frown:

if you go to embark you can access your application and it will have your college choice.
Reply 2213
Original post by *Corinna*
if you go to embark you can access your application and it will have your college choice.

I tried but it doesn't work, but maybe I'll try in another browser...
Original post by engm

let me just tell you with absolute certainty that my stay at Oxford has made me realise that the "the best take the offers" belief is simply NOT true. I personally have an offer, and funding for my masters, so it's not coming from a bitter rejected applicant. I simply have seen people with no critical abilities getting offers and others with brilliant minds not getting them.
Reply 2215
I tried but it doesn't work, but maybe I'll try in another browser...

Ah, it worked in Safari (but not in firefox)...apparently I put Merton. And here I was hoping I put down Christ Church so I could pretend to be Harry Potter. :rolleyes:
From what my personal tutor who went there told me, in MSt applicants they already look for PhD potential, i.e. defined research interests and potential thesis topic, which is focused and viable.

I am sure your brother was a worthy candidate, though I guess for Oxford grades aren't everything, and they do say, that for PhD applicants they encourage things like teaching and past research that one did of one's own volition.

Similarly, they also base it on who they have that can supervise one's project, so if your brother was interested in something really non-oxonian, therein might lie the problem. At the end of the day, you just never know and it is worth re-applying.

I don't think many applicants, at least in the Humanities, have teaching experience. And it doesn't really matter at this stage. You get it whilst you do your PhD. Also how can one do research on their own volition. Most people come out of their masters.
Reply 2217

Right on the money. Except the stuff about teaching and research experience. I have no experience in either and still got a place. The guidance for applicants is not superfluous. Most of the Masters courses at Oxford are intended to prepare a student for further research, although obviously those skills can be applied elsewhere.

If the grades are fine then it comes down to research proposal, written samples of work and statement of purpose/research proposal.

I have read samples of written work which earned superb grades at other Universities but where, upon inspection, it appears to have been written by a complete dunce.

Also, considering in advance whether your research interests *fit* with those of any prospective supervisors is a huge deal.

My grades are pretty good (not superb by any means), but I spent an inordinate amount of time on a research proposal, and made sure there was somebody at the University willing to supervise it before I applied!
Reply 2218
Original post by *Corinna*
let me just tell you with absolute certainty that my stay at Oxford has made me realise that the "the best take the offers" belief is simply NOT true. I personally have an offer, and funding for my masters, so it's not coming from a bitter rejected applicant. I simply have seen people with no critical abilities getting offers and others with brilliant minds not getting them.

Truly agree that ONLY ' Best takes the offer' may NOT necessarily be true because my brother's classmate who had 2.1 undergrad and 2.2 postgrad got a place for a PhD last year in oxford. Even he was shocked when he got the offer. I think we need a little bit of luck as well.
Reply 2219

Dont you think its unfair to expect all of these(teaching experience, publications etc ) from a recent graduate who wants to go straight for a Phd?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending