University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

Oxford Graduate Application 2012/13

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3980
Hey guys,

one, probably dumb, question.
Is the water from the tap in Oxford good? Can you drink it or is it better to buy bottled water?

Thanks in advance,

toni
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
Reply 3981
Original post by to_ni
Is the water from the tap in Oxford good? Can you drink it or is it better to buy bottled water?

Yeah, tap water in Oxford (and as far as I know the rest of the UK) is safe. The only reason to buy bottled water is if you're on a day out and you can't access a tap or a water fountain.
Reply 3982
Original post by QHF
Yeah, tap water in Oxford (and as far as I know the rest of the UK) is safe. The only reason to buy bottled water is if you're on a day out and you can't access a tap or a water fountain.

Thank you very much for the info. I heard that the water in London is not good, that´s why I wanted to inform myself.

One more question... does anybody know whether Linacre college has an orchestra or whether it´s possible for students who´s college doesn´t have an orchestra to join an orchestra of another college?

Regards

toni
Reply 3983
Hi guys. I'm planning to apply for a PhD in Materials at Oxford. I'm currently in the process of choosing a college. Preferably one with good food and beautiful garden. I've already looked at their websites. But they all look really nice. Anyone with first-hand experience? Thanks!
Reply 3984
Original post by kraken23
Hi guys. I'm planning to apply for a PhD in Materials at Oxford. I'm currently in the process of choosing a college. Preferably one with good food and beautiful garden. I've already looked at their websites. But they all look really nice. Anyone with first-hand experience? Thanks!

Have you checked which colleges support your course? As far as I know Material Science is not supported by all colleges but a few I know are Oriel, Wolfson, Linacre, St. Peter, Corpus Christi, Champions Hall.... Although with regards to the last one I am not quite sure.

I think Linacre is a nice one because it´s all graduates and has nice facilities. Nonetheless, I guess that´s just my opinion.

Best

toni
Anyone from St Edmund Hall? Any advice, information I should know etc? Also, woud be great if someone knew what the graduate atmosphere is like, and if the MRC is active? - Cheers :smile:

Yeah, forget food, make sure the college you choose is interested in your field of study, otherwise they will simply reject you. Also try not to choose the most oversubscribed ones, like Magdalen, otherwise they will also likely reject you and you might end up getting stuck with something not nearly as nice as you would like.

Once you are offered college - this is it, you can not change it any more, so if you are rejected by your first choice you can only hope for the best. On the other hand if you make your first choice wisely and select a college that is not too oversubscribed and has interest in your field you are more likely to get in.
Reply 3987
Original post by Student 01
Anyone from St Edmund Hall? Any advice, information I should know etc? Also, woud be great if someone knew what the graduate atmosphere is like, and if the MRC is active? - Cheers :smile:

I'm not from St Edmund Hall yet, but I'll also be part of it next year! Nice to see another incoming person. :smile: I'm actually doing English as well, the 1550-1700 strand.
Original post by Fayre
I'm not from St Edmund Hall yet, but I'll also be part of it next year! Nice to see another incoming person. :smile: I'm actually doing English as well, the 1550-1700 strand.

Ah fantastic! Btw, have they got back to you with your IT info yet? I've only just got my accommodation sorted with them.
Original post by to_ni
Thank you very much for the info. I heard that the water in London is not good, that´s why I wanted to inform myself.

One more question... does anybody know whether Linacre college has an orchestra or whether it´s possible for students who´s college doesn´t have an orchestra to join an orchestra of another college?

Regards

toni

The water in London is fine! You can drink tap water anywhere in the UK.
Reply 3990
Original post by Student 01
Ah fantastic! Btw, have they got back to you with your IT info yet? I've only just got my accommodation sorted with them.

Yeah, I mailed in my student contract about a week ago and received an email with my IT info soon afterward. It was quite a quick turnaround after I sent it in. There's some interesting stuff to look at on Weblearn, but nothing crucial yet. (Just stuff from last year, which is helpful, but nothing for this year.)
Original post by Fayre
Yeah, I mailed in my student contract about a week ago and received an email with my IT info soon afterward. It was quite a quick turnaround after I sent it in. There's some interesting stuff to look at on Weblearn, but nothing crucial yet. (Just stuff from last year, which is helpful, but nothing for this year.)

Gosh, there being a bit rubbish with me as I've sent it a month ago and received nada. Good to know that they actually have a move on it though.
Original post by Fayre

Ah, have you guys got the 2011-12 outline of the course online?
Reply 3993
Original post by to_ni
Have you checked which colleges support your course? As far as I know Material Science is not supported by all colleges but a few I know are Oriel, Wolfson, Linacre, St. Peter, Corpus Christi, Champions Hall.... Although with regards to the last one I am not quite sure.

I think Linacre is a nice one because it´s all graduates and has nice facilities. Nonetheless, I guess that´s just my opinion.

Best

toni

Hi Toni. Thanks for your reply. Yeap I've already checked what colleges accept my course. I've narrowed it down to these colleges: Corpus Christi, Exeter, Hertford, Lincoln, Mansfield, Oriel, Queen's, St Anne's, St Edmund Hall,Trinity. Do you if these colleges have good food and nice gardens? I'm really picky when it comes to food. :eating:
Reply 3994
Original post by janjanmmm
Yeah, forget food, make sure the college you choose is interested in your field of study, otherwise they will simply reject you. Also try not to choose the most oversubscribed ones, like Magdalen, otherwise they will also likely reject you and you might end up getting stuck with something not nearly as nice as you would like.

Once you are offered college - this is it, you can not change it any more, so if you are rejected by your first choice you can only hope for the best. On the other hand if you make your first choice wisely and select a college that is not too oversubscribed and has interest in your field you are more likely to get in.

Hi janjanmmm. Thank for your reply. I've already checked
These is the list of colleges that accepts my course: Corpus Christi, Exeter, Hertford, Lincoln, Mansfield, Oriel, Queen's, St Anne's, St Edmund Hall,Trinity.Are they any good in terms of food and gardens? I know that you can't change it after you've been offered. That's why I'm trying to find one that really suits me. Any idea? Thanks.
Hi janjanmmm. Thank for your reply. I've already checked
These is the list of colleges that accepts my course: Corpus Christi, Exeter, Hertford, Lincoln, Mansfield, Oriel, Queen's, St Anne's, St Edmund Hall,Trinity.Are they any good in terms of food and gardens? I know that you can't change it after you've been offered. That's why I'm trying to find one that really suits me. Any idea? Thanks.

Did you look here?

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Oxford_College_Pros_and_Cons
Reply 3996
Hi Toni. Thanks for your reply. Yeap I've already checked what colleges accept my course. I've narrowed it down to these colleges: Corpus Christi, Exeter, Hertford, Lincoln, Mansfield, Oriel, Queen's, St Anne's, St Edmund Hall,Trinity. Do you if these colleges have good food and nice gardens? I'm really picky when it comes to food. :eating:

Hey ...

In your list Linacre is missing :biggrin: It´s a Grads only college. It is known to have great food. That´s one of the things the college is very proud of. Beside the fact that it´s a ´green´ college. Moreover it´s situated opposite the University parks.

I am about to join the college in October. Can´t wait to go there. Hopefully the accommodation is fine. Anyone else joining Linacre this year???

Regards

toni
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3997
Original post by to_ni
Hey ...

In your list Linacre is missing :biggrin: It´s a Grads only college. It is known to have great food. That´s one of the things the college is very proud of. Beside the fact that it´s a ´green´ college. Moreover it´s situated opposite the University parks.

I am about to join the college in October. Can´t wait to go there. Hopefully the accommodation is fine. Anyone else joining Linacre this year???

Regards

toni

I prefer to go to a college with undergrad and grad students. So Linacre is not on my list. I did a little research on the internet, I think Trinity might be good for me. I heard the chefs there are good.
Reply 3998

Thank you so much! Didn't know about this earlier.
So I visited my college yesterday and I absolutely hated it. I hated it so much that it makes me want to not go to Oxford. So I'm asking if anyone has any experience or knowledge of if it is possible to change colleges. I'm not doing this becauce I want to change to one of the big, famous ones. I'll change to ANY other college or PPH. I'll take anything. Does anyone know if it's possible?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending