The Student Room Group
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

Oxford Graduate Application 2012/13

Scroll to see replies

Original post by to_ni
Hey guys,

I have one question which is really confusing me. How does insurance at University work. Is every student insured with the University/College or do you have your own insurance as well. I mean in my homecountry you can make your own student insurance because only then the study time counts for your retirement....

Best

toni

You are insured against certain things, but not everything. Check with your college.
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
Reply 4261
Regarding the pub night - I (finally) made a fb event. No pressure to add, but if I get a sense of the numbers I can have them rope off an area. I hope it'll be one of those cool velvet ropes... but I digress.

Pub Night - New Postgrads

Thanks!
I didn't even know they had an international student thingymebob. Then again I am not international but I do like beer it is possible that I shall venture an appearance though might need to bring a tent.
Is it normal to have not received the single-sign on details yet?
Original post by Dialetheism
Is it normal to have not received the single-sign on details yet?

Not really, no. You should get it withing couple of weeks of submitting signed university contract.
Original post by janjanmmm
Not really, no. You should get it withing couple of weeks of submitting signed university contract.

That confirms my suspicions. Thanks
hey guys, when do all the main freshers activities start, any one know? In London most unis start fresher activities next Monday, so if anyone knows would be helpful :smile:
Original post by Student 01
hey guys, when do all the main freshers activities start, any one know? In London most unis start fresher activities next Monday, so if anyone knows would be helpful :smile:

As Week 1 of term starts 7th of Oct, perhaps week 0, the 1st onwards, is Freshers?
Reply 4268
My first freshers day is Sunday 30th September
Reply 4269
this is the official english graduates at oxford group:
http://www.facebook.com/EGOOxford
Reply 4270
Hey guys,

One question... Has anyone ever sent anything of value to the college to pick it up there? I am talking about a computer screen which my parents will send to the main college adress upon my arrival. They will send it through courier service hence I guess the receptionist will have to sign up before getting my package. The package will arrive in Friday and unfortunately I am not in college on that day. The college receptionist told me that she will store it for me over the weekend and that I'll get a note when I have to come to pick it up on Monday. It's the best option because otherwise I will have to buy a new one which is wasted money imo....nonetheless i am a bit worried that it might get stolen over the weekend. Do you know whether colleges will lock the place were they store packages?

Any advice is much appreciated. Sry for any typos ... I am in a hurry...

Best
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by fadingwinters
As Week 1 of term starts 7th of Oct, perhaps week 0, the 1st onwards, is Freshers?

Btw, this will sound silly, but when exactly, do we have enrollment?

Generally freshers activities start at the beginning of 0th week, the week before teaching starts, but some MCRs organise activities before then, as international students often arrive earlier.

Original post by to_ni
Hey guys,

One question... Has anyone ever sent anything of value to the college to pick it up there? I am talking about a computer screen which my parents will send to the main college adress upon my arrival. They will send it through courier service hence I guess the receptionist will have to sign up before getting my package. The package will arrive in Friday and unfortunately I am not in college on that day. The college receptionist told me that she will store it for me over the weekend and that I'll get a note when I have to come to pick it up on Monday. It's the best option because otherwise I will have to buy a new one which is wasted money imo....nonetheless i am a bit worried that it might get stolen over the weekend. Do you know whether colleges will lock the place were they store packages?

Any advice is much appreciated. Sry for any typos ... I am in a hurry...

Best

I once had a tv delivered to college. It was all fine. Things should be secure there.

What do you mean by enrollment? Your college and your course will give you dates for things that they expect you to attend. Generally, you should be there at the start of 0th week.
Original post by Little Jules
Generally freshers activities start at the beginning of 0th week, the week before teaching starts, but some MCRs organise activities before then, as international students often arrive earlier.

I once had a tv delivered to college. It was all fine. Things should be secure there.

What do you mean by enrollment? Your college and your course will give you dates for things that they expect you to attend. Generally, you should be there at the start of 0th week.

Thanks for the quick response. Usually a university asks you to 'enroll' which means you are registered with the university, almost every university in London does this so when my friends were stating their enrolment dates for next week, I got super worried that I had no idea when/how I was to enrol (register, confirm place etc) at Oxford.

Hi - there's induction at the faculty for English MSts on 2nd Oct and college registration in 0th week (date provided by your college).
Original post by cyberpoet
Hi - there's induction at the faculty for English MSts on 2nd Oct and college registration in 0th week (date provided by your college).

Fantastic, cheer for that :smile:
Reply 4276
Original post by KMaine
I don't know if there is a definite answer to this question. I prefaced the writing sample by including a cover page where I stated the name of the work, the date of completion, the nature of the excerpt (e.g. pages x-y of chapter z), and I also provided 3-5 sentences describing the thesis from which I took the excerpt. With regards to the excerpt itself, I didn't truncate it. I simply looked for a coherent argument. I picked up where the argument began and ended where it ended.

I think they are trying to form an idea of your writing style and structure as well as your research approach and how you incorporate scholarly sources into your work. However, I encourage you to include at least one sample that that reads from beginning to end. My advisor who used to teach at Oxford said this is very important.

In my country there is no undergraduate thesis. What I'm supposed to do for my essay? I'm a health related student but what to develop my career in eHealth.
Reply 4277
Original post by apotoftea
I've used an excerpt of my UG dissertation and an excerpt from an essay that relates to my research area.

In my country there is no undergraduate thesis. What I'm supposed to do for my essay? I'm a health related student but want to develop my career in eHealth.
Reply 4278
Write an essay on how you see yourself contributing to the field of eHealth? Maybe how your reading of papers around the subject has influenced or changed your approach?
Reply 4279
Original post by cyberpoet

where did you get the 2nd october date from? :smile: I've seen it before but can't remember where...

found it... it's in the reading list e-mail, right?
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending