The Student Room Group
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

Oxford Graduate Application 2012/13

Scroll to see replies

Man, everything was going so great. Loan approved, Signed on, Uni e-mail and now my landlord last minute has said I cant live there as I havent actually signed anything and his nephew needs somewhere to stay. If anybody knows of anything please let me know. Also I dont have facebook (it wasnt allowed in my old job really) so if somebody could post on the gradpage with my email maybe that would be awesome
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
Original post by sll1
where did you get the 2nd october date from? :smile: I've seen it before but can't remember where...

found it... it's in the reading list e-mail, right?

Hi - yes it's in the cover letter for the course details/options form.

:smile:
In the unlikely event that someone on a history related graduate course is willing to share a statement of purpose then that would be invaluable...

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by Dat_Ngyuen
Man, everything was going so great. Loan approved, Signed on, Uni e-mail and now my landlord last minute has said I cant live there as I havent actually signed anything and his nephew needs somewhere to stay. If anybody knows of anything please let me know. Also I dont have facebook (it wasnt allowed in my old job really) so if somebody could post on the gradpage with my email maybe that would be awesome

Let me know if you're interested & I'll PM you the email address:

Still available for GRADUATE STUDENTS ONLY:
2-bed flats and houses for couples at Summertown House and Court Place Gardens.
Single rooms sharing a 2-bed flat with one other are available at Summertown House.
If you are interested please reply to this email. Please note you must be a FULL-TIME GRADUATE STUDENT.
You must also complete an application form for University housing. If you have not done this already the form can be found at http://www.admin.ox.ac.uk/accommodation/graduate/howtoapply/
Regards

Graduate Housing
Reply 4284
Does anyone have any idea when your essay deadlines are going to be (English students). On last year's info document it says C course: 10th week thursday. So I'm wondering if these are set dates... I also would love to know our schedules!
Reply 4285
Original post by cyberpoet
Let me know if you're interested & I'll PM you the email address:

Still available for GRADUATE STUDENTS ONLY:
2-bed flats and houses for couples at Summertown House and Court Place Gardens.
Single rooms sharing a 2-bed flat with one other are available at Summertown House.
If you are interested please reply to this email. Please note you must be a FULL-TIME GRADUATE STUDENT.
You must also complete an application form for University housing. If you have not done this already the form can be found at http://www.admin.ox.ac.uk/accommodation/graduate/howtoapply/
Regards

Graduate Housing

Aren´t this the houses which are only available until July next year because they will be renovated or something like that afterwards???

Just curious
Reply 4286
Hey guys,

one more question. Where do you plan to make your bank accounts? Which bank do you think gives out the best deal...

Any advise is much appreciated.

Cheers,

toni
Original post by to_ni

Re: Cambridge Postgraduate applicants 2012

Hey guys,

One question... Has anyone ever sent anything of value to his/her college to pick it up there? I am talking about a computer screen which my parents will send to the main college adress upon my arrival. They will send it through courier service hence I guess the receptionist will have to sign up before getting my package. The package will arrive on Friday and unfortunately I am not in college on that day. The college receptionist told me that she will store it for me over the weekend and that I'll get a note when I have to come to pick it up on Monday. It's the best option because otherwise I will have to buy a new one which is wasted money imo....nonetheless i am a bit worried that it might get stolen over the weekend. Do you know whether colleges will lock the place were they store packages?

Any advice is much appreciated. Sry for any typos ... I am in a hurry...

Best

So you're busy sending things to both Oxford and Cambridge colleges?!

Are you planning to open bank accounts in both places as well?
Reply 4288
Lloyd's has an account that has a couple strong advantages, it lets you store in pounds, dollars and/or euros and it accepts wire transfers with no fee. The minimum balance is fairly low at £2500 or $3500; on the website it says more, but I found them to be more lenient with students.
When do oxford grad students (Arts/humanities) typically wrap up their studies/thesis. Bit worried there is going to be some dorment time on my 12 month contract over the summer.
When do oxford grad students (Arts/humanities) typically wrap up their studies/thesis. Bit worried there is going to be some dorment time on my 12 month contract over the summer.

if your masters is 9 months in duration (as are most) then your thesis is usually due around the end of May/early June. My university card expired in the end of June so by that point everything was finished (exams, results etc). So yeah, some people with 12 month contracts (you mean accommodation right?) have a few months extra.
Original post by *Corinna*
if your masters is 9 months in duration (as are most) then your thesis is usually due around the end of May/early June. My university card expired in the end of June so by that point everything was finished (exams, results etc). So yeah, some people with 12 month contracts (you mean accommodation right?) have a few months extra.

Yeah accommodation. Bit concerned about the extra few months. I know most of my friends hung around in july and I know some of them moved back home and just forked out the remaining months rent even if they werent there.
Yeah accommodation. Bit concerned about the extra few months. I know most of my friends hung around in july and I know some of them moved back home and just forked out the remaining months rent even if they werent there.

A friend of mine managed to rent it to someone. That's also an option.
hey guys, the bus that starts from Heathrow airport will drop me off at the Gloucester Green station (10 mins walk from my College). Should I have to drag all of my luggage to the porter's lodge to get the key from him? or will there be any cab facilities? Kindly suggest me some useful tips !!!
Original post by *Corinna*
A friend of mine managed to rent it to someone. That's also an option.

Yeah thats when the agency suggested. Im definitely going to look into that. Can it believe its freshers week so soon. :s-smilie:
Original post by 10dulkar01
hey guys, the bus that starts from Heathrow airport will drop me off at the Gloucester Green station (10 mins walk from my College). Should I have to drag all of my luggage to the porter's lodge to get the key from him? or will there be any cab facilities? Kindly suggest me some useful tips !!!

Hi - there's a good cab stand at Gloucester Green. Which college are you going on to?
Hi - there's a good cab stand at Gloucester Green. Which college are you going on to?

Thanks Cyberpoet !! :smile: I am going to Pembroke !!!
Original post by ucla_jk
Lloyd's has an account that has a couple strong advantages, it lets you store in pounds, dollars and/or euros and it accepts wire transfers with no fee. The minimum balance is fairly low at £2500 or $3500; on the website it says more, but I found them to be more lenient with students.

Account eligibility

To be eligible you need a gross annual income of £50,000*. For joint accounts at least one of the applicants needs a gross annual income of £50,000*.

Alternatively you can also be eligible if you have £25,000* to deposit (solely or jointly) with Lloyds TSB International within 3 months of opening your account.

* or currency equivalent.

You also need to make an initial deposit into your account within 30 days of opening.

http://www.lloydstsb-offshore.com/international-current-accounts/

I am also not so crazy about keeping $3500 on the account at all times to avoid 30 dollars monthly fee. At some point I may actually need to use these money, and 30 dollars seem like insane price to pay.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by 10dulkar01
Thanks Cyberpoet !! :smile: I am going to Pembroke !!!

Ah not too far at all despite the annoying one-way road systems!

I'll just be across the road at Christ Church. All the best :smile:.
Ah not too far at all despite the annoying one-way road systems!

I'll just be across the road at Christ Church. All the best :smile:.

Thanks again Cyberpoet !! cheers :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending