Scroll to see replies

Oops! I found the address :smile:
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
Reply 4321
Original post by Sei
Can anyone clarify this for me please ?

I'm an international student and have been in Eng for 4 years. I did my undergraduate at Liverpool John Moores University (only graduate (BSc(Hons) with a 2ii (58%) bloody hell, I wish I studied harder), then I just finished my Master at Oxford Brookes University and looks like I'm going to graduate with a distinction for my thesis and at least a high Merit (68%).

So, do you think I stand a chance to get into Oxford for a DPhil at all ? I have a good research proposal for my DPhil though...

Also do they consider your MSc more than BSc result ?

I read the requirement for DPhil Zoology is a high 2i for bachelor degree but they didn't even mention about master degree.

Thanks a lot

Sure give it a try. In my college accommodation is a guy who just started his DPhil in Zoology I could ask him about the entrance requirements. But I think that your proposed results sound pretty good.. The interview will make up a great part of your success anyway. So you can even improve your chances at interview

Give it a go dude!

Best,

toni
Reply 4322
Original post by Sei
Can anyone clarify this for me please ?

I'm an international student and have been in Eng for 4 years. I did my undergraduate at Liverpool John Moores University (only graduate (BSc(Hons) with a 2ii (58%) bloody hell, I wish I studied harder), then I just finished my Master at Oxford Brookes University and looks like I'm going to graduate with a distinction for my thesis and at least a high Merit (68%).

So, do you think I stand a chance to get into Oxford for a DPhil at all ? I have a good research proposal for my DPhil though...

Also do they consider your MSc more than BSc result ?

I read the requirement for DPhil Zoology is a high 2i for bachelor degree but they didn't even mention about master degree.

Thanks a lot

BTW you mentioned that you did your undergrad degree in the UK too. So maybe you could help me on that one...
I am currently working (with my brother) on his UCAS application but I am not quite sure from which age on I have to add his modules and grades. It doesn´t make sense to me to ad all grades from the age of 11 on because that are uncountable grades and modules. So is it enough to tell them the grades from your actual year and the year before?

Would appreciate your help.

Best

Best
Reply 4323
Original post by to_ni
Sure give it a try. In my college accommodation is a guy who just started his DPhil in Zoology I could ask him about the entrance requirements. But I think that your proposed results sound pretty good.. The interview will make up a great part of your success anyway. So you can even improve your chances at interview

Give it a go dude!

Best,

toni

Hey thanks. So there will definitely an interview then ? Some told me they have interview and some said not. Also I will be back home (in Vietnam) so I don't know if they going to interview me through phone or skype ? scary. I saw the entry requirement for DPhil Zoology is a high 2i for Bachelor but they didn't say anything about the result of an MSc degree. Hmn.

Is your brother going to do a Bachelor or Master ? for the graduate application you just need to fill in your result from undergraduate only. But I'm not sure what do you have to do with application for undergraduate course. The guideline on their website for undergraduate application must explain it.
Reply 4324
Original post by Sei
Hey thanks. So there will definitely an interview then ? Some told me they have interview and some said not. Also I will be back home (in Vietnam) so I don't know if they going to interview me through phone or skype ? scary. I saw the entry requirement for DPhil Zoology is a high 2i for Bachelor but they didn't say anything about the result of an MSc degree. Hmn.

Is your brother going to do a Bachelor or Master ? for the graduate application you just need to fill in your result from undergraduate only. But I'm not sure what do you have to do with application for undergraduate course. The guideline on their website for undergraduate application must explain it.

Yeah there will be an interview and in your case I would guess that it will be a skype videocall. In general, I would prefer a skype videocall, if possible, because it´s always good to see the guys who are talking to you. It´s simply easier to interact. I had both phone and video-calls and video-calls are definitely better.

Thanks for your help. My brother is applying for undergrad (Chemistry). And the UCAS website just sucks :wink: There is no sufficient help provided for international students wit different qualifications and that´s why I am not sure what to fill in.

With regards to the Master´s just drop them an email and explain your situation. They will probably answer your questions pretty fast and in a kind manner. I think they´re also best to check your chances. At least my department was willing to inform me about all the things I needed to know. So don´t worry and drop them an email.

Best,

toni
Original post by ColinClout
I don't know when the last time I had to think this much about what to wear was! During undergrad I wore shorts, jeans, t-shirts and jumpers depending on how cold it was but I'm guessing that turning up to faculty drinks or formal hall in flip flops, cargo shorts and a t-shirt probably won't go down too well. Do guys tend to wear suits under their robes for formal hall or just nothing too scruffy? Any other English grads planning to go to faculty drinks on the thursday? Shirts and shoes?

Formal hall varies - if it's just an ordinary dinner, people wear all sorts of things under their gowns. But some dinners are smarter than that. Best to err on the side of caution the first time and see what others are wearing.

Original post by londonbridge
Is internet free of cost for graduate students living in the College accommodation houses? mine is located near botely road....... Do they monitor our browsing data or something like that?

Yes, in college housing, internet is free. They will usually have some rules about data, so if you are streaming or downloading a lot they may notice.
Original post by ColinClout
I don't know when the last time I had to think this much about what to wear was! During undergrad I wore shorts, jeans, t-shirts and jumpers depending on how cold it was but I'm guessing that turning up to faculty drinks or formal hall in flip flops, cargo shorts and a t-shirt probably won't go down too well. Do guys tend to wear suits under their robes for formal hall or just nothing too scruffy? Any other English grads planning to go to faculty drinks on the thursday? Shirts and shoes?

Hi - I'll be going to the faculty drinks.

And yes am likely to be wearing shoes. :tongue:
If you're going to neg me at least post why? Don't be shy :tongue:
Hi there,

I am planning to apply to a MSt programme in Geography at Oxford. So far I have decided on two majors; environmental change management and water science and policy management. My first choice is the ecm programme which is very competitive so I am thinking of applying to the second programme as well about which I think I have a stronger chance of getting in because my bachelor work is closely related to it.

I was wondering if I apply to both programmes will it have a negative impact on the overall application process that is, it shows my indecision about what to choose ?
Original post by canreadwillread
Hi there,

I am planning to apply to a MSt programme in Geography at Oxford. So far I have decided on two majors; environmental change management and water science and policy management. My first choice is the ecm programme which is very competitive so I am thinking of applying to the second programme as well about which I think I have a stronger chance of getting in because my bachelor work is closely related to it.

I was wondering if I apply to both programmes will it have a negative impact on the overall application process that is, it shows my indecision about what to choose ?

I dont think so - it's pretty common practice, and it's always good to have a back-up!
Thanks for your input :smile:
Yeah I was thinking the same but wasn't too sure about it.
Reply 4331
Hello, I am a student at Cambridge and have a conditional offer from Oxford to study for a DPhil starting in October of this year. One of the conditions of this offer is an academic condition, that I achieve at least a 65 on my current MPhil in Cambridge. However, I will only receive an official transcript of this degree in November! The deadline to send the official documentation to Oxford is August 31st. All that my department can do is to send a letter detailing all of results for my MPhil. Also, they can only send this letter near the end of September. Has anyone been in this situation before? Is it possible to get around this problem?

Cheers
Reply 4332
Original post by tbh12
Hello, I am a student at Cambridge and have a conditional offer from Oxford to study for a DPhil starting in October of this year. One of the conditions of this offer is an academic condition, that I achieve at least a 65 on my current MPhil in Cambridge. However, I will only receive an official transcript of this degree in November! The deadline to send the official documentation to Oxford is August 31st. All that my department can do is to send a letter detailing all of results for my MPhil. Also, they can only send this letter near the end of September. Has anyone been in this situation before? Is it possible to get around this problem?

I think you should contact the faculty who've given you the offer. Your situation can't be unique and I'd be very surprised if they don't have some kind of workaround, and they're not going to yank your offer away again just because you raise a perfectly legitimate problem.
Anyone else getting restless for results day now? Ahhhhh I want to know if I'm going to Oxford! :nutcase:
Reply 4334
Original post by kittyb99
Anyone else getting restless for results day now? Ahhhhh I want to know if I'm going to Oxford! :nutcase:

I won't know my results until the end of July. So I'm currently still too mired in thesis writing to think that far ahead. By mid-July, I'll be as insanely nervous as you.

Good luck to everyone receiving their results soon!
Original post by kittyb99

Definitely! Although I feel really stupid being so nervous about it, as my offer conditions are very nice (I just need a 2:1). But despite that I still can't help but worry!

My results day is on the 26th of this month though so I'll know then whether Oxford is a certainty. When's yours? Hope you haven't got too much longer to wait!
Original post by llacerta
Definitely! Although I feel really stupid being so nervous about it, as my offer conditions are very nice (I just need a 2:1). But despite that I still can't help but worry!

My results day is on the 26th of this month though so I'll know then whether Oxford is a certainty. When's yours? Hope you haven't got too much longer to wait!

It's just the slight sliver of worry that makes the wait agonising, mmm? I am going slightly crazy lol. And mine is the 26th too, but they don't tell us until like 4pm, so a whole day of throwing up before they put us out of our misery! Excited? :smile:

And yes, good luck to everyone :smile: We can do this :biggrin:
Original post by DeMoomin
I won't know my results until the end of July. So I'm currently still too mired in thesis writing to think that far ahead. By mid-July, I'll be as insanely nervous as you.

Good luck to everyone receiving their results soon!

Wow, that is rather late! Is that for undergraduate results? (Sorry, can't remember if you are going on to a Masters or DPhil :tongue:)

Damn, should have multi-quoted...
Reply 4338
I just realised, this is the the thread from last year. Who resurrected this zombie? Also, my results will come late because I'm doing my Masters in Germany and they just have a different rhythm. Now to hop over to the 2013/14 thread!
Reply 4339
Original post by janjanmmm
Congratulations!
I also got an offer for MPhil REES two weeks ago, perhaps will see you there! It seems like the first year the courses for MSc and MPhil are exactly the same.

Hi, is it possible to see your personal statement, if you don't mind? I am struggling with mine at the moment and really wanted to see the good oxford personal statement for REES:smile: Or could you give some advice?
I will be very thankful for your help :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending