University of Oxford
Oxford

Oxford Graduate Application 2012/13

Scroll to see replies

Reply 780
Original post by Xristina
Oh no!! Was it pembroke? :frown:
What's your second choice?
Also I didn't know that Cambridge notifies us if we get rejected by our first college. In Oxford you never know until you get a college offer (from your choice or another one)

Yeah it says 'Unsuccessful at Pembroke College, seeking College membership.'

Fitzwilliam is my 2nd choice; I just went with the most modern and laid-back looking one as I don't like the sort of posh private school atmosphere of the older Colleges in Durham. I know that's a massive generalistion but I had to base my choice on something xP also Fitz seems to have a Nespresso maker in the MCR ; )
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
Hello

I applied by the 20th of Jan deadline (for the DPhil in English), and was wondering if anyone else hasn't received the email confirming their application is complete yet? I've received the one saying my app has been submitted, but not the confirmation from grad admissions. Realise I'm probably worrying for nothing, but thought it couldn't hurt to check.

Cheers :biggrin:
Original post by Zenobia
Yeah it says 'Unsuccessful at Pembroke College, seeking College membership.'

Fitzwilliam is my 2nd choice; I just went with the most modern and laid-back looking one as I don't like the sort of posh private school atmosphere of the older Colleges in Durham. I know that's a massive generalistion but I had to base my choice on something xP also Fitz seems to have a Nespresso maker in the MCR ; )

Ha there is one in Christ church as well but it's not free. It's only like 20p per coffee though.
Original post by marshmallow88
Hello

I applied by the 20th of Jan deadline (for the DPhil in English), and was wondering if anyone else hasn't received the email confirming their application is complete yet? I've received the one saying my app has been submitted, but not the confirmation from grad admissions. Realise I'm probably worrying for nothing, but thought it couldn't hurt to check.

Don't worry About it. I am already at Oxford for my MSt and I know at least five people who still haven't got it. Including me.
Original post by Xristina
Don't worry About it. I am already at Oxford for my MSt and I know at least five people who still haven't got it. Including me.

Cheers - thought I was probably worrying over nothing! Just remember receiving the confirmation very quickly last year when I was applying for the MSt, but then again I didn't apply anywhere near as close to the deadline as I did this time :redface:
Reply 785

I was just worrying about the exact same thing - I applied for the English MSt before the 20th deadline (only just though, I submitted on the 19th!), and like you I still haven't got a confirmation email from Graduate Admissions... but I reckon if more than one of us is still waiting, they're probably just busy sorting through everything! :biggrin:

I had a slightly different question to ask in here as well: I know us 20th-deadliners should expect to hear from Oxford whether we were successful or not in late March, but does anyone have any idea when we'll hear if we were successful (/on the reserve list) in getting AHRC funding? :confused:
Original post by Ms Kooky

I had a slightly different question to ask in here as well: I know us 20th-deadliners should expect to hear from Oxford whether we were successful or not in late March, but does anyone have any idea when we'll hear if we were successful (/on the reserve list) in getting AHRC funding? :confused:

Last year when the offers came out for the English MSt there was a paragraph near the end of the letter which told you if you had been successful/unsuccessful/were a reserve for the AHRC funding.
Reply 787
Last year when the offers came out for the English MSt there was a paragraph near the end of the letter which told you if you had been successful/unsuccessful/were a reserve for the AHRC funding.

Thanks a lot, that's really helpful to know. I'm glad it shouldn't be too long a wait, as whether or not I get some funding will probably determine if I can take up a place or not, hah! :colondollar:
Reply 788
Hello

Hi :smile: I submitted my application for the DPhil in English on the 18th & received the grad admissions email on the 20th. I shouldnt worry though, since quite a few applicants seem to be still awaiting theirs. Maybe your app was caught up in the crush in the last couple of days of the deadline?
Original post by strivingon
anyone got reply from politics/IR?

IR don't start considering applications until the deadline in January, regardless of when you apply, and no one will hear until at least March. I suspect politics is the same, although they are different admissions departments.

On colleges, you won't hear if you're rejected, you will only hear once you've got a place somewhere. And that can take some time.
Reply 790
I was just accepted to the MSt in Modern British and European History. Very happy.

However: I only have until 17 February to reply. Does anyone know if I'll hear back regarding what college I will be placed in, or what kind of financial package, if any, I can expect? I am comparing this offer to that of Cambridge and it seems that I won't have enough time to determine which might give me funding before I am required to respond.

Another question: I have applied to the same college which my supervisor is a member of (unbeknownst to me at the time of application). Does this make it more likely that I will be placed at this college?

Thanks, and good luck to all!
Original post by lkk27
I was just accepted to the MSt in Modern British and European History. Very happy.

However: I only have until 17 February to reply. Does anyone know if I'll hear back regarding what college I will be placed in, or what kind of financial package, if any, I can expect? I am comparing this offer to that of Cambridge and it seems that I won't have enough time to determine which might give me funding before I am required to respond.

Another question: I have applied to the same college which my supervisor is a member of (unbeknownst to me at the time of application). Does this make it more likely that I will be placed at this college?

Thanks, and good luck to all!

It depends really on which college you applied to, how popular that one is, and how quickly they decide. It may be that you get into your first choice college, and hear very quickly, but if you don't it may take a while. I'm not sure that the supervisor will make a difference, but I'm not certain. In terms of funding offers, that depends on the funding that you have applied for.

Do you have to pay a deposit for the course? I think that it's not unusual for people to accept a place and later decline due to lack of funding.
Reply 792
Original post by Swayum
Submitted my application to Oxford's Master in Financial Economics - 3rd ever application to Oxford...

Supposed to hear back on the 10th, will be one of straight rejection/straight offer/interview.

What is their PS requirement? 1 pager on anything?
Reply 793
Original post by neuro11
when did you hear last year?? and what was the reason of rejection??scholarship??

i wrote Magdalen as preference (without searching enough) and now i wish i would better not done this

What Xristina said! I didn't get a college offer until mid-June, so you could be in for quite a wait. Magdalen is lovely - you won't regret asking to go there!
Reply 794
Original post by LSEfreak
What is their PS requirement? 1 pager on anything?

1000 words on 5 year goals.
Original post by QMHistoryguy
I would just ring them. Oxford seem allot more personable than the Cambridge department I had contact with. did you also specify a preferred college? If not I wouldn't worry as they will just stick you where they can fund you anyway.

Thanks for the help. I actually sent them an e-mail few days ago, and they fix it within 5 minutes! I was really impressed.
Reply 796
Original post by Little Jules
It depends really on which college you applied to, how popular that one is, and how quickly they decide. It may be that you get into your first choice college, and hear very quickly, but if you don't it may take a while. I'm not sure that the supervisor will make a difference, but I'm not certain. In terms of funding offers, that depends on the funding that you have applied for.

Do you have to pay a deposit for the course? I think that it's not unusual for people to accept a place and later decline due to lack of funding.

Thanks for your answer!

I do not have to pay a deposit for the course. I will go regardless of what kind of funding I'm offered - I'm willing to take out the tuition in U.S. student loans (I am a U.S. citizen). I just wanted to know if perhaps I'd hear back in time to compare what Cambridge might offer me, and make my decision based off of that, but it seems like I won't have enough time to do that.

Worcester is my first-choice college, but I'm not sure if it's very competitive for graduate admissions.
Original post by lkk27
Thanks for your answer!

I do not have to pay a deposit for the course. I will go regardless of what kind of funding I'm offered - I'm willing to take out the tuition in U.S. student loans (I am a U.S. citizen). I just wanted to know if perhaps I'd hear back in time to compare what Cambridge might offer me, and make my decision based off of that, but it seems like I won't have enough time to do that.

Worcester is my first-choice college, but I'm not sure if it's very competitive for graduate admissions.

I wouldn't say it's the most competitive, but it is definitely up there. I think the whole thing with Emma Watson has made it even more popular, although she is only there for a year.
Reply 798
No idea if it's true but I heard some gossip from Worcester that she might be staying on next year.
Reply 799
Original post by cyberpoet
No idea if it's true but I heard some gossip from Worcester that she might be staying on next year.

Staying on as what, though?:confused: If she hasn't finished her undergraduate degree yet she can't stay on for an MSt, and as far as I'm aware, JYAs can't just extend their stay for a year.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending