The Student Room Group
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

Oxford Graduate Application 2012/13

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1580
Original post by janjanmmm
Which screen are you f5-ing? Is there a particular page you can look up the results I am not aware of? I thought they only communicate it by e-mail.

Yes I was f5-ing my email account :P I could wait for it to show up, but that way it takes about 5 minutes longer ......... Well, tomorrow will be even worse probably :biggrin:
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
Original post by Humberto
Yes I was f5-ing my email account :P I could wait for it to show up, but that way it takes about 5 minutes longer ......... Well, tomorrow will be even worse probably :biggrin:

Wow, this is intense! :smile:
Try to come down, no use to have a heart attack over this!
Original post by HLS
You are quite welcome. What have you applied for?

M.Phil in Modern British and European History. I have already been offered a place actually, but I really need the funding unfortunately. How about you?
Original post by HLS
Economic & Social History. There is so little funding around for this course, and that which there is (ESRC) is not very well targeted so you have PhD and MSc applicants competing for the same funds. Unlike the AHRC, they do not have dedicated Research Preparation Masters funding, which is a pretty stupid idea.

This is the only funding I might conceivably get. The chances of getting Departmental/Clarendon funding are so remote as to not be worth considering.

That said a partial scholarship from a College would help massively.

Have you applied for the 3+1?
Had my interview today. It was okay, there was one maths question that I just could flat-out not answer. Apart from that it was pretty okay I think.
Reply 1585
Original post by lureynol
I do Imperial History. I'm also applying as an overseas student, which means the competition for money is insanely intense.

I suppose we should just concentrate all our hope on getting in.

My sympathies - where are you applying from? I liked the look of the Imperial History course, and have studied the subject in my undergrad, but the quality of my (possible) supervisor in Econ History was the deciding factor in the end.

Original post by QMHistoryguy
M.Phil in Modern British and European History. I have already been offered a place actually, but I really need the funding unfortunately. How about you?

I presume you are either an international student, are a 'Home/EU' student but applied for the earlier deadline, or are one of the fortunate few who has already been made aware of the outcome?

The MPhil is the two year course? I presume you plan to go on to a PhD?

I can go without funding (it will be a stretch!), but it would involve taking on substantial loans.

Have you applied for the 3+1?

I think I have! There was no box etc to indicate on the application form that you are seeking the funding, so I presume it is akin to the Clarendon fund in that you are automatically considered by the Department.
Original post by chipper
in other news, pinkpenguin your signature is awesome.

:five:
Reply 1587
So I got a conditional offer to Oxford yesterday, subject to my getting 67% in my BA, and was over the moon. But now I'm worried in case the minor subject of my degree (in which I already have my final grade) would drag down my overall percentage and mean I miss out on my place (I applied for a masters in the subject in which I'm majoring in).

I contacted the department and they said that while their condition remains 67% across the degree, they occassionally relax the condition if excellent quality is shown in one or two other areas of the degree. Just wanted to ask if anyone has any experience of this happening before? And whether, if I were to get 68/69% etc in my major subject, but my minor result dragged the overall mark below 67%, my offer would be rescinded?

Much obliged for any help!
Original post by Mandras
So I got a conditional offer to Oxford yesterday, subject to my getting 67% in my BA, and was over the moon. But now I'm worried in case the minor subject of my degree (in which I already have my final grade) would drag down my overall percentage and mean I miss out on my place (I applied for a masters in the subject in which I'm majoring in).

I contacted the department and they said that while their condition remains 67% across the degree, they occassionally relax the condition if excellent quality is shown in one or two other areas of the degree. Just wanted to ask if anyone has any experience of this happening before? And whether, if I were to get 68/69% etc in my major subject, but my minor result dragged the overall mark below 67%, my offer would be rescinded?

I don't know the answer to this but I think you're worrying a little early - you haven't even missed the offer yet. Why not concentrate on keeping it that way? If it were me then the possibility of missing my Oxford offer would keep me more in line than discovering there might be some wiggle room (of course, everyone is different)

There will undoubtedly be people who 'know someone' that took up their place despite missing their results by a small margin but I would think that leniency changes year on year and is very much dependent on how well the competition does in such circumstances :smile:

Just my opinion :wink:

p.s. congrats on the offer!
Reply 1589
Original post by Mandras

Congratulations on your offer!

What subject did you apply for?

I would expect "excellent quality shown in one or two other areas of the degree" would probably require better marks than circa. 69%.
Original post by HLS
My sympathies - where are you applying from? I liked the look of the Imperial History course, and have studied the subject in my undergrad, but the quality of my (possible) supervisor in Econ History was the deciding factor in the end.

I presume you are either an international student, are a 'Home/EU' student but applied for the earlier deadline, or are one of the fortunate few who has already been made aware of the outcome?

The MPhil is the two year course? I presume you plan to go on to a PhD?

I can go without funding (it will be a stretch!), but it would involve taking on substantial loans.

I think I have! There was no box etc to indicate on the application form that you are seeking the funding, so I presume it is akin to the Clarendon fund in that you are automatically considered by the Department.

Yes I got my application in on the 2 September! (bit of a keeno). I do want to progress onto a Phd yes... and thankfully the two year course delays the dreaded writing of the doctoral proposal!
Reply 1591
Original post by HLS

The USA, New York City to be precise. I applied directly into the DPhil, as I already hold an MA from a university here. We'll see what happens there though - I applied to the PhD at Cambridge as well, and was eventually offered a place in the MPhil first.
Reply 1592
Yes I got my application in on the 2 September! (bit of a keeno). I do want to progress onto a Phd yes... and thankfully the two year course delays the dreaded writing of the doctoral proposal!

I had to go straight at it - come up with a proposal for the full PhD even though I'm applying to the MSc - in order to be considered for ESRC funding.

I really do hate this. For ESRC funding you have to compete with the people who've already done the MSc, who will always have the upper hand because they've done the research training already! I put many months of work into my proposal and I bet it's still not good enough for funding.

Original post by lureynol
The USA, New York City to be precise. I applied directly into the DPhil, as I already hold an MA from a university here. We'll see what happens there though - I applied to the PhD at Cambridge as well, and was eventually offered a place in the MPhil first.

I might yet apply to Cambridge, but I think Oxford is probably much better for Economic History. Certainly the course seems to be better designed - there are more advanced papers to choose from, for instance.
Reply 1593
Original post by devils_nose
I don't know the answer to this but I think you're worrying a little early - you haven't even missed the offer yet. Why not concentrate on keeping it that way? If it were me then the possibility of missing my Oxford offer would keep me more in line than discovering there might be some wiggle room (of course, everyone is different)

There will undoubtedly be people who 'know someone' that took up their place despite missing their results by a small margin but I would think that leniency changes year on year and is very much dependent on how well the competition does in such circumstances :smile:

Just my opinion :wink:

p.s. congrats on the offer!

Thank you! I applied for the MSt in Ancient History. That is undoubtedly a good way of looking at it, I really like having a target to aim for but am just worried in case my minor subject means I have to do unrealistically well if I'm to take up this offer.

Out of interest, what happens if I don't meet the 67% requirement, have no 'get-out-of-jail cards' and can't take up the spot they've offered me? Do they have enough time to re-assign the place or does it go empty?
Original post by Mandras
Thank you! I applied for the MSt in Ancient History. That is undoubtedly a good way of looking at it, I really like having a target to aim for but am just worried in case my minor subject means I have to do unrealistically well if I'm to take up this offer.

Out of interest, what happens if I don't meet the 67% requirement, have no 'get-out-of-jail cards' and can't take up the spot they've offered me? Do they have enough time to re-assign the place or does it go empty?

I have no idea if they oversubscribe their masters courses - I just assumed they would in the same way they do for undergrad (although to a lesser extent perhaps).

I guess missing your offer is part of the risk of applying for postgrad as you don't get the same safety net as you do when applying for undergrad. If they don't let you in then you can have another go next year? It won't hurt your chances of getting a place to have a year out at all.

I think you'll make your offer though :smile:
Reply 1595
Original post by devils_nose
I have no idea if they oversubscribe their masters courses - I just assumed they would in the same way they do for undergrad (although to a lesser extent perhaps).

I guess missing your offer is part of the risk of applying for postgrad as you don't get the same safety net as you do when applying for undergrad. If they don't let you in then you can have another go next year? It won't hurt your chances of getting a place to have a year out at all.

I think you'll make your offer though :smile:

Yeah I wasn't sure myself - I have til August 31st to reply which doesn't leave them an awful lot of time to fill the spot if I turn it down?

Thanks for the confidence! If I do miss it then I've already been lucky enough to get an unconditional offer to UCL, so I shouldn't be complaining at all really. Thanks for the assistance :smile:
Reply 1596
Hi Everyone!

Have applied for the MSt in Philosophy of Physics, deadline early Jan.
Was wondering whether anyone has heard back yet (positive or negative)?
This wait is killing me!!
Reply 1597
Original post by furjac
Hi Everyone!

Have applied for the MSt in Philosophy of Physics, deadline early Jan.
Was wondering whether anyone has heard back yet (positive or negative)?
This wait is killing me!!

Likewise, the wait is awful! Good luck with your application.
Applied for the B.Phil in Philosophy, just received conditional offer & open-day-invitation via e-mail.
Reply 1599
Ahh, some philosophy offers just went out according to the grad café results. I didn't receive an e-mail yet, hope it doesn't mean bad news :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending