The Student Room Group
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

Oxford Graduate Application 2012/13

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1780
Original post by Marat
Nice, thanks for the info! It actually feels better to know when it will happen even if it's later on, rather than living with the idea that I might get that email 'any minute now'.

Have you applied for any other similar programs? My other choices are LSE's European Studies (Research) and the slightly different UCL's Global Governance and Ethics. But I can't really make myself start any proper comparisons before I know 'the Oxford decision'.

Yes, it's certainly helpful to know an approximate date!

Even though I'm not that excited about it because I'm quite sure that I will accept my offer from the Hertie School of Governance for a Master of Public Policy anyway. But it will still be interesting to know :-) My other application was also in a broader area for a Master in Political Science at the CEU in Budapest. I've also considered the LSE programme, their EU programmes look good! But I didn't apply because I much preferred my other choices.

Congrats for your offers! Do you know anything more specific about the degree at Oxford (reputation, people studying there etc.)?
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
Reply 1781
Original post by jver
Yes, it's certainly helpful to know an approximate date!

Even though I'm not that excited about it because I'm quite sure that I will accept my offer from the Hertie School of Governance for a Master of Public Policy anyway. But it will still be interesting to know :-) My other application was also in a broader area for a Master in Political Science at the CEU in Budapest. I've also considered the LSE programme, their EU programmes look good! But I didn't apply because I much preferred my other choices.

Congrats for your offers! Do you know anything more specific about the degree at Oxford (reputation, people studying there etc.)?

Nice coincidence, I didn't mention that I also got an offer from Hertie, but it was my plan B if the UK unis I like rejected me. Congrats on Hertie, Berlin will be wonderful (I basically did the application for Hertie because of Berlin).

Eh, what I've heard from my supervisor is that Oxford might not be as focused on graduate students in comparison to LSE, and LSE might have better research training, otherwise he reckons they're both equally respectable for social sciences degrees. An Oxford friend has replied that it's rather the case that LSE focuses more on graduates relative to the fact that they don't pay attention to their undergrads. Otherwise I haven't decided which degree I like better, and haven't really been able to find lots of comparisons between Oxford and LSE online (just a few and usually for a different type of degree)
Offers are on their way everyone - I had an email from my department today saying mine (with funding) was in the post - so, so, so, so, so HAPPY! Especially as they turned me down for undergrad, and now I have an offer at Ox & Cam. Just over the moon!
Original post by Venus_In_Furs
Offers are on their way everyone - I had an email from my department today saying mine (with funding) was in the post - so, so, so, so, so HAPPY! Especially as they turned me down for undergrad, and now I have an offer at Ox & Cam. Just over the moon!

for what department is that? So, they also told you you got funding at the same time? That's cool! Congratulations!
Reply 1784

Congratulations. What did you apply for?
Original post by *Corinna*
for what department is that? So, they also told you you got funding at the same time? That's cool! Congratulations!

English. Thanks :biggrin: I think I only got an email as they've asked to set up a phone interview for a scholarship on Friday. Just waiting for the letter now! Good luck to everyone :smile:
English. Thanks :biggrin: I think I only got an email as they've asked to set up a phone interview for a scholarship on Friday. Just waiting for the letter now! Good luck to everyone :smile:

but if you have an interview for the scholarship, then how do you know you already have it?
Reply 1787
Original post by Marat
Nice coincidence, I didn't mention that I also got an offer from Hertie, but it was my plan B if the UK unis I like rejected me. Congrats on Hertie, Berlin will be wonderful (I basically did the application for Hertie because of Berlin).

Eh, what I've heard from my supervisor is that Oxford might not be as focused on graduate students in comparison to LSE, and LSE might have better research training, otherwise he reckons they're both equally respectable for social sciences degrees. An Oxford friend has replied that it's rather the case that LSE focuses more on graduates relative to the fact that they don't pay attention to their undergrads. Otherwise I haven't decided which degree I like better, and haven't really been able to find lots of comparisons between Oxford and LSE online (just a few and usually for a different type of degree)

Thanks for your comments!
Hehe, that's really a nice coincidence :-) A pity it's only your plan B....

Mhm...it would be nice to get some personal insights from someone doing the degree in Oxford. But as to the LSE focussing on their graduates, that's definitely true I think. This was one of the main reasons why I didn't go there for my undergrad.

Wow! That's fantastic! Hope the interview goes smashing. I think I saw in earlier posts that you applied for the MSt.

Well, I guess this is the first glimmer for the rest of us waiting to hear from English. Here we go!

Hey congrats!! All the best for the interview :smile:.

I'm waiting to hear from the same dept too - nail-biting stuff.
Reply 1790

Congrats!!

Not going to lie though, now I'm nauseous. I hadn't expected anyone to hear anything from the English department until next week.
Reply 1791
I got my offer from Philosophy for the DPhil on Thursday - SO happy! :smile:

However, without funding I quite probably can't afford to go, so I'm still SO nervous!

A friend whose boyfriend goes to Oxford said that if I'd been nominated for consideration in the second round for the Clarendon, they'd have told me in the same email as the initial offer of a place in the programme (because that was the boyfriend's experience last year - he's not in Philosophy but in another Humanities department).

Does anyone know if this is true of all departments??

Also, has anyone heard anything at all from Ertegun?
Reply 1792
Original post by hannahcy
I got my offer from Philosophy for the DPhil on Thursday - SO happy! :smile:

However, without funding I quite probably can't afford to go, so I'm still SO nervous!

A friend whose boyfriend goes to Oxford said that if I'd been nominated for consideration in the second round for the Clarendon, they'd have told me in the same email as the initial offer of a place in the programme (because that was the boyfriend's experience last year - he's not in Philosophy but in another Humanities department).

Does anyone know if this is true of all departments??

Also, has anyone heard anything at all from Ertegun?

There is not a "rounds" system for Humanities Clarendon scholars - the "rounds" system is for Social Sciences scholars.

Clarendon scholarships for humanities students are decided next month.
Original post by *Corinna*
but if you have an interview for the scholarship, then how do you know you already have it?

I realise that sounded a little self-contradictory, apologies! Well, the email said: 'we're going to offer you a place and funding'. Then went on to say they'd potentially like to nominate me for a specific, separate thing (not sure I can say what it is?), so I assume they're different?

Not sure. I don't have much info, just a short email! Still, exciting.
Reply 1794

WOW CONGRATS, so so jealous! But thanks so much for letting the rest of us know, my nail biting has increased enormously now, soon I won't have any hands left.
Thanks everyone, I'm so happy! Wishing everyone luck for the week ahead :smile:
Reply 1796
Congrats to those receiving offer and really jealous of anyone getting funding :frown:
Did anyone receive an offer from the Blavatnik School (master of public policy) ???
Anyone got reply from International Relations :confused:
So anxious
Reply 1799
Just received a conditional offer for the BCL Programme. So happy! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending