The Student Room Group

To those who took a gap year, reapplied and got in..

In my school, having to take a gap year is seen upon as 'failing' first time round which is in someway true for some people but at first i thought, 'i'm going to try my best to get in this year but if i don't i'll take a gap year' and convinced myself i'll re-apply. But talking to people at school made me think how depressing it would be: all my friends would be off to uni studying what they've always wanted to do and i have to take out a year and re-apply when there's still a chance i could get rejected from every uni again! even though i messed up my ASs, i'm trying really really hard to get my As this year but it just doesn't seem good enough?

Does anyone else/did anyone else feel like that but yet got into medicine in the end?

And also, how does it/did it feel to be a year older than everyone else in your year when you get in 2nd time round.:s-smilie:

Thank you for reading and sorry about really long post!
Reply 1
Im in the same position as you and feel the same way.
Reply 2
Hey! Gap year isn't seen as failing, in fact if you look at the prospectuses unis actually like people taking a gap year. It's a way to get some experience in the outside world and its a great way of making a couple of pennies ;-) I didn't get in either first time round, 4 straight rejections which I think were based upon my GCSE (A*A*AABBBBB) and not my predicted grades (AAAA). Now I'm flexing, gaining work experience and a job at the same time. The chances of getting in 2nd time round is greater I suppose because you already have the grades in hand but resitting limits your chances big time. Nevertheless, its worth a shot in the end and even if you dont get in you can go into another field or go for biomedical sciences and give med another shot (with greater chances of getting in of course). So don't look at a gap year as a "failed" thing, its more of an advantage and you probably have greater chances of getting in like this! Resit some modules and work hard to kill off those A2's!
it's definately not for failures - the fact you are considering it shows how commited you are. My brother had to take a gap year cos he got 4 rejections the first time around, he worked hard got 4 A's and reapplied and he got 3 unconditional offers. He used the year to get a job, more work experience and he did an extra A level. Even if it turns out that you don't get 3 A's in it, and you end up resitting some modules to get your grades up and reapply it's not failing - you are commited and you should have great respect for yourself for not giving up in what you want to do.
Reply 4
I'm taking a gap year and sure I feel abit left out to an extent cuz alot of my friends are off to university. But what keeps me going is the fact that this time next year hopefully I'll be going to do the course I want to do! I'm not too worried about the year difference because I do have friends in the year below etc.. If you think about it, it isn't your friends/peers who decide your life it's you! Screw them if they think a gap year is a waste of time, I'm personally learning TONS of info now because I'm working in medical environments.. I'm learning so much that I'm having difficulty writing it all into my PS!

Latest

Trending

Trending