The Student Room Group

Which university is better for getting job in F1.

I have received offers from the University of Bath's Automotive Technology (MSc) and Brunel University's Automotive and Motorsport Engineering (MSc). Still, I don't know which is more advantageous for me to enter the world of Formula One.
Which course do you think is better?
Original post by moburin
I have received offers from the University of Bath's Automotive Technology (MSc) and Brunel University's Automotive and Motorsport Engineering (MSc). Still, I don't know which is more advantageous for me to enter the world of Formula One.

bath is more respected and also russell group but i have no clue about the specific course
Original post by moburin

Look around the F1 sites and see where their current employees have got their degrees from. I suspect there won't be much difference.
Reply 3
Original post by 17277282kiosk
bath is more respected and also russell group but i have no clue about the specific course

Bath isn't in the Russell group - but being in the Russell group isn't really that important.

list of Russell group universities https://russellgroup.ac.uk/about/our-universities/
Both are very good for motorsport.

F1 as a graduate role typically requires deep knowledge &some experience in the role you are applying for - your experience here will matter far more then if you were at Brunel or Bath, what type role are searching for?
Reply 5
Original post by mnot
Both are very good for motorsport.

F1 as a graduate role typically requires deep knowledge &some experience in the role you are applying for - your experience here will matter far more then if you were at Brunel or Bath, what type role are searching for?

Thank you for replying.

I want to work on propulsion systems for race cars. Engine.
Reply 6
Original post by moburin

The Brookes Motorsport Engineering [MEng} is the best did you apply for that?

Bath is more respected because of the placement scheme.
Original post by moburin
Thank you for replying.

I want to work on propulsion systems for race cars. Engine.

Propulsion is difficult, currently the only options for jobs in English speaking offices are Mercedes HPP (Bracknell) or RedBull powertrain (Milton Keynes). These roles are very competitive. Alpine/Ferrari/Audi in 2026 will all also have PU career’s however non are English speaking areas or offices. Honda/AM also coming online however I am not sure whether they will be based in Japan or UK.

If you want to work on ICE then having experience on a dyno will be a huge huge CV boost. A lot of who they hire outside of ICE on powertrain is now electrical control, electrical systems & performance engineers. Id say make sure you get some thermodynamic strengths on your CV, ideally practical engine development or dyno testing however if not even CFD related to engine development would be useful. Showing a demonstrable interest in the field will really strengthen the resume.
(edited 4 months ago)
Original post by moburin

Where is it in which country
Original post by moburin

@moburin firstly, apologies for slow response but I had to consult an academic colleague who provided me with the following reply to your query. Secondly, congratulations on your offers.

The University of Bath has a rich history of preparing engineering students for success at the highest levels of the automotive and motorsport sectors. This is built on a mix of: top-ranking teaching programmes, industry-linked project work via our IAAPS research networks, practical experiences in our labs and workshops, and extra-curricular opportunities such as Formula Student.

To be successful in F1 (or any engineering domain for that matter) requires expertise with engineering fundamentals and problem-solving skills; this can be achieved by a range of course routes, Adrian Newey being a good example of this (read ‘How to Build a Car’ if you’ve not already done so).

Our new Automotive MSc courses are designed to provide stepping-stones between student ambition, and the new opportunities brought about by the quest for sustainable net zero-carbon transport solutions (for both road and racing cars). This challenge requires the rapid development of new and more advanced powertrain and mobility systems; if you have these new skills, the world is your oyster.

From the new Automotive MSc course, we’ve had students go to the following high-profile companies Lotus, JLR, Ricardo, JCB and MAHLE. Similarly, our undergraduates have gone on to work for Alpine F1, Aston Martin, Ilmor, McMurtry and Williams. You could try reaching out to some of our alumni students who have studied with us on Linkedin for more insight.

I hope this helps with your decision making

Caroline UOB Official Rep - staff
Hi!

You might be interested in also considering Cranfield University.

Several F1, MotoGP and Formula-E teams (and others which must remain confidential) as well as the motorsport regulators, race car and subsystem designers work closely with Cranfield on both open and confidential projects.

Our Motorsport MSc students assist the British Racing Drivers' Club (BRDC) with respect to the British F1 Grand Prix at Silverstone. We are a member of the Motorsport Industry Association (MIA) and are supported by the Motor Sports Association. The Advanced Motorsport Engineering MSc programme is linked to AVL through AVL's University Partnership scheme. Students have access to AVL Boost software. The course is accredited by the Institution of Mechanical Engineers (IMechE), the Royal Aeronautical Society (RAeS) and the Institution of Engineering and Technology (IET) for fulfilling further learning requirements for CEng.

AVEC offers several important facilities for use on motorsport teaching and R&D, including a sustained motion g-cueing driver cockpit simulation suite, 4WD articulating fast-transient response vehicle dyno, high-speed tyre testing, braking rigs, and dSPACE and AVL modelling and simulation software suites running on Cranfield’s HPC clusters.

The two Motorsport-specific MSc courses are:

Advanced Motorsport Engineering MSc (cranfield.ac.uk)

Advanced Motorsport Mechatronics MSc (cranfield.ac.uk

We also have a new scholarship just launched: TJA Scholarship | Enter the World of Motorsport

Hope this helps 🙂

Gemma
2nd Year PhD Student (Environment & Agrifood)
Student Ambassador
(edited 2 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending