The Student Room Group

Engineering TV/Radio programs

I thought it would be an idea for anybody who knows of any Engineering related programs to post them on here. I know Channel 5 have just started a program called 'Extreme Engineering' on Monday nights, I believe. Also, Adam Hart-Davis presents one on Radio 4 on Thursday mornings at about 9.30 - the name slips me. Sky Travel show a few interesting ones too - I watched one last night at about 2am which was about dams, and they also show similar programs about bridges and the like.
Reply 1
*Envisages a 9-6 live engineering program, showing some random guy staring at a computer screen non-stop, only moving to drink coffee* :biggrin:

I haven't seen many modern engineering programmes to be fair (note spelling 'programmes'!). Unless you call 'Scrapheap Challenge' one :s-smilie:. I long for the days of 'Tomorrows World' back when it was great.
Reply 2
LifeWired
*Envisages a 9-6 live engineering program, showing some random guy staring at a computer screen non-stop, only moving to drink coffee* :biggrin:

I haven't seen many modern engineering programmes to be fair (note spelling 'programmes'!). Unless you call 'Scrapheap Challenge' one :s-smilie:. I long for the days of 'Tomorrows World' back when it was great.

I wasn't sure whether it was program or programme (I always pick the wrong one) - dictionary.com wasn't much use because it said 'program' referred to TV/Radio. I guess thats an americanisation.
Reply 3
elpollodiablouk
I wasn't sure whether it was program or programme (I always pick the wrong one) - dictionary.com wasn't much use because it said 'program' referred to TV/Radio. I guess thats an americanisation.

We'll blame the media for that one. I've always been taught to use 'Programme' when referring to the TV but due to said Americanisation, 'Program' when referring to the computer. It's all very vague :mad:
Reply 4
LifeWired
We'll blame the media for that one. I've always been taught to use 'Programme' when referring to the TV but due to said Americanisation, 'Program' when referring to the computer. It's all very vague :mad:

Meh, now that you mention it though, tv programme does look right. Ah well. And I normally pride myself on being a good speller (surprising for an Engineer, I know)
Reply 5
elpollodiablouk
Meh, now that you mention it though, tv programme does look right. Ah well. And I normally pride myself on being a good speller (surprising for an Engineer, I know)

I think we'll all end up using 'program' anyway :frown:!

I've heard engineers have suspect spelling...I've always thought I'm not bad. Will they teach me to 'correct' my spelling in Uni? :smile:
There are loads on Discovery and Discovery Science. And UKTV Documentaries.
Reply 8
My spelling has always been exellent.

(just kidding.)
Reply 9
figgetyfig
My spelling has always been exellent.

(just kidding.)

Only one d in kiding. :rolleyes:
Reply 10
elpollodiablouk
Only one d in kiding. :rolleyes:

Let's not push this too far... :rolleyes:
Reply 11
LifeWired
Let's not push this too far... :rolleyes:

Oh don't worry, I milk things like this 'til they're bone dry. :biggrin:
Reply 12
elpollodiablouk
Oh don't worry, I milk things like this 'til they're bone dry. :biggrin:

This is not unpopular? :confused:

:rolleyes:

(Btw, have a look at the nanotech thread! Am I the only nanotech nut here?!?!)
Reply 14
Reply 15
Did anybody see that programme on Channel 5 tonight called 'Mega Structures' about the world's longest bridge in Japan? It was, indeed, mega.

Latest