The Student Room Group

graduating with a pass degree, can i still get a career

hi, i failed my engineering project due to poor time management, depression and very little supervision and help from my course. I am now only eligible for a pass degree and wandering if i can get a job in engineering. My degree was a BEng in chemical engineering. Also if i did manage to get a job does that mean I can't ever qualify for charter ship
Original post by <Karla
hi, i failed my engineering project due to poor time management, depression and very little supervision and help from my course. I am now only eligible for a pass degree and wandering if i can get a job in engineering. My degree was a BEng in chemical engineering. Also if i did manage to get a job does that mean I can't ever qualify for charter ship

I don't know your field in any depth, but I think it's fair to say that an Ordinary degree is going to present you with a lot of challenges with mainstream graduate recruitment. Maybe best to look at different firms which recruit outside the usual milkround.
Reply 2
Original post by Reality Check
I don't know your field in any depth, but I think it's fair to say that an Ordinary degree is going to present you with a lot of challenges with mainstream graduate recruitment. Maybe best to look at different firms which recruit outside the usual milkround.

yh, i'm trying consulting firms outside of graduate firms but the only thing i can get an interview for at the moment is event management.
Original post by <Karla
yh, i'm trying consulting firms outside of graduate firms but the only thing i can get an interview for at the moment is event management.

Getting an interview is a great start - you've already got further with an Ordinary degree than a lot of graduates do with a 2i !. Clearly, you must have a strong application otherwise.

You might have to accept that your degree is inevitably going to lead to you having to do some compromising in what career you can go into at the moment - but a sideways move once you've got a job and experience is more likely. The main thing for now is to get graduate-level employment despite the Ordinary, not necessarily getting employment in exactly the field you want to eventually end up in.
Reply 4
Original post by Reality Check
Getting an interview is a great start - you've already got further with an Ordinary degree than a lot of graduates do with a 2i !. Clearly, you must have a strong application otherwise.

You might have to accept that your degree is inevitably going to lead to you having to do some compromising in what career you can go into at the moment - but a sideways move once you've got a job and experience is more likely. The main thing for now is to get graduate-level employment despite the Ordinary, not necessarily getting employment in exactly the field you want to eventually end up in.

hmm thanks-i'm considering repeating the year at another uni
Reply 5
Hi, I got 2.2 BEng in Chemical Engineering from a Russell Group uni. But then I did an MSc from a mid ranked uni and got distinction. After that I've managed to get 4 graduate scheme offers. All of the schemes are very highly sought after and offer close to 30k starting salary. I know it's not an ordinary degree but still its not a standard 2.1.

Would you consider doing an MSc?
Reply 6
I will have an ordinary degree, wont be able to get on a masters. Congrats on your offers. To be honest, im not even interested in graduate schemes as this might even be too demanding with my mental health but to work in a field related to my degree would be great.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
I am so disappointed in myself, I completed my bachelor of nursing with the gpa 1.6. It hurt so much knowing that I am a failure. Through out my studies I was suffering from personal problems but did not tell anyone. I feel like a loser and a failure. My friends had graduates interviews even one with 1.9 gpa had 3 interviews. I feel like killing myself because of been a failure. I called Nursing agencies and they told me bring my Registration so they can set the interview to work in the nursing home for one year to gain experience before heading to the hospital. But this hasn't help me from thinking of been a failure... If only I had 2.0 gpa I would be happy..
Original post by <Karla
I will have an ordinary degree, wont be able to get on a masters. Congrats on your offers. To be honest, im not even interested in graduate schemes as this might even be too demanding with my mental health but to work in a field related to my degree would be great.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Did you do any work experience or internships? You could use your practical experience and any contacts you made to help you get a job in your field?
Original post by Grace07
I am so disappointed in myself, I completed my bachelor of nursing with the gpa 1.6. It hurt so much knowing that I am a failure. Through out my studies I was suffering from personal problems but did not tell anyone. I feel like a loser and a failure. My friends had graduates interviews even one with 1.9 gpa had 3 interviews. I feel like killing myself because of been a failure. I called Nursing agencies and they told me bring my Registration so they can set the interview to work in the nursing home for one year to gain experience before heading to the hospital. But this hasn't help me from thinking of been a failure... If only I had 2.0 gpa I would be happy..

What's done is done now. At least you have completed your course! Look towards concentrating your efforts on the interview and gaining more experience to help you in the future. It is understandable that you are feeling down, but try to keep positive. Don't compare yourself to others (I often find this is the worse thing to do). If you continue to feel like this, have you tried talking to someone (friend, family, professional)?

Remember, you still have options after your degree. You are not a failure.
Reply 10
Hi, I am in similar situation - graduated this summer with bachelor ordinary in international relations. It is very difficult to find university which accepts third year entry - at least until now I did not manage to find one.
Original post by alomani
Hi, I am in similar situation - graduated this summer with bachelor ordinary in international relations. It is very difficult to find university which accepts third year entry - at least until now I did not manage to find one.

You are unlikely to be able to find one if you are in the UK, that's just not the way degrees work. Once you have graduated, that's it, the degree result is sealed and unchangeable. You need to move on and forget about degrees and get the world of work started, realising that graduate specific opportunities are going to be difficult to get.
Hi I got a pass in my Beng degree in electronic engineering and computer science due to some personal issues back then. I found that not putting my grade on my CV got me in the door firstly and some employers would ask about the grade achieved and others wouldn't and reitterated the challenges on my life back then to provide context. I succeffully got into employment and built my experience and following the disssappontment of my degree I actively trained up with the money I made with some professional qualitificationa within my field which was it...ie Microsoft Citrix and cisco exams and this opened up my career path and we're truthfully more relevant to the working world for me than my degree....now I freelance for clients and am a business architect/analyst/change manager....and have a fulfilling career. Every sector is different but keep that chin up and don't let yourself feel down there are opportunities out there don't give up and hopefully works out for you ....do the research and see what excites your boat and try and get some useful industry quals under your belt and don't look back what's done is done .......onwards and upwards
Reply 13
Original post by <Karla
hmm thanks-i'm considering repeating the year at another uni

Can you do that after getting pass ordinary degree

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending