The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Glutamic Acid
Err, why not Computing?

I just see it as a boring, pointless subject that takes far too much time learning programing and doing coursework. People are saying it compliments Maths and Physics, it doesn't at all. The only maths you do is adding, multiplying, and a bit of binary and hexidecimal.

Plus my Computing teacher's perhaps the worst teacher I've ever had so that doesn't help :p:
jobo3
I just see it as a boring, pointless subject that takes far too much time learning programing and doing coursework. People are saying it compliments Maths and Physics, it doesn't at all. The only maths you do is adding, multiplying, and a bit of binary and hexidecimal.

Plus my Computing teacher's perhaps the worst teacher I've ever had so that doesn't help :p:

I don't find it boring, and it's reasonably useful. To be honest one of the reasons I chose it was because there's a lot of programming. Perhaps when they said it compliments maths and physics it''s because of the logical, methodical element?
Glutamic Acid
Err, why not Computing?

The amount of documentation you have to do for the coursework is ridiculous.
I enjoy the actual programming, but dislike the "systems analysis".

I'm doing the A2 coursework (almost as I type this) and the data-flow diagrams are seriously testing my sanity.
I only continued it because I did well last year. But AS Computing confirmed that I wouldn't be doing Computer Science at university (which was something I had been thinking of doing for a long while).
Anyone applying to a reputable university for something maths-y or physics-y will clearly be able to do science, and if you can do 3 sciences then you can almost certainly do 4. Consider doing something to set yourself apart - I took maths, further maths, physics, classical civilisation and art (n.b. by "something to set yourself apart" I do NOT mean general studies, film studies, media studies etc!). Some people take an essay subject as a fourth subject for AS and then drop it at A2, to show they're 'well rounded' and all that: something to consider perhaps...

Consider this:

How many people applying to study a maths/physics related subject (assuming you are) at university will be taking maths/F maths, physics and chemistry, or economics? Can you distinguish yourself between other candidates with the same choices? If you're confident you can then go right on into whatever subject you're happiest with, but if not you need to start considering how to get yourself noticed by universities...
Reply 24
Chemistry and Physics... very important...
Reply 25
Glutamic Acid
I don't find it boring, and it's reasonably useful. To be honest one of the reasons I chose it was because there's a lot of programming. Perhaps when they said it compliments maths and physics it''s because of the logical, methodical element?

I suppose the programing isn't bad, I quite liked pascal, Unit 3 and 6 make me want to quit education though.
alex_hk90
The amount of documentation you have to do for the coursework is ridiculous.
I enjoy the actual programming, but dislike the "systems analysis".

I'm doing the A2 coursework (almost as I type this) and the data-flow diagrams are seriously testing my sanity.
I only continued it because I did well last year. But AS Computing confirmed that I wouldn't be doing Computer Science at university (which was something I had been thinking of doing for a long while).

I agree with the systems analysis, although I haven't done much work on it, it doesn't seem very interesting.

What exam board is it? I think I remember hearing that AQA have shaken up the coursework structure (limiting the documentation to around 20 pages).
Reply 27
BenSpurgen
How many people applying to study a maths/physics related subject (assuming you are) at university will be taking maths/F maths, physics and chemistry, or economics? Can you distinguish yourself between other candidates with the same choices? If you're confident you can then go right on into whatever subject you're happiest with, but if not you need to start considering how to get yourself noticed by universities...

I wouldn't be so sure that the best way to 'set yourself apart' is to take unusual subjects, certainly don't do it for that reason alone... It may help but there are better ways to do it that don't require 2 years and a lot a lot of time doing something you may not enjoy.

lol You seem to have plenty of conflicting suggestions here! Have fun deciding, and anyway, you can always drop it after the first year if you make a bad choice. Do what you enjoy, or what you think you might enjoy is my brilliant advice!
mikeleeds
I wouldn't be so sure that the best way to 'set yourself apart' is to take unusual subjects, certainly don't do it for that reason alone... It may help but there are better ways to do it that don't require 2 years and a lot a lot of time doing something you may not enjoy.

Should've made that clear, my bad :biggrin: my point was don't be afraid to try something non-sciencey for your fourth AS level if you want to - if you're interested in it it may well benefit you more than a 'typical' set of 4 AS-levels, just make sure it's something which is regarded well, a traditional subject rather than something like thinking skills or whatever...

Furthermore, as well as convincing universities you're a more rounded person, it may ACTUALLY make you a more rounded person - certainly I found my art was great to relax and my class. civ was handy to stop me becoming a stereotypical 'I can do sciences but have no other/social skills' sortof person (although 4 years of maths at Uni may well make me just that =D), and it gives you a chance to study something new at the same time.

Good luck with your decision!
Chemistry ftw.

Or, you could do something totally unrelated and arty, just for fun :biggrin:
I did maths , physics, fmaths and history but if you want to do well choose a subject with little coursework/ not history!!!
You can pick a different subject, but if you'll find a sciency subject a lot easier and will probably do better then I wouldn't bother.
I did maths , physics, fmaths and history but if you want to do well choose a subject with little coursework/ not history!!!
Oh and did art aswell so itll be easy for you
lolage
jobo3

Coursework has the potential to ruin even the best subject :frown: . Wish I'd learned programming at school. It might not go well with maths and physics at A level, but it'd be damn helpful once at university.
a language is always good
Reply 35
The Strangest Quark
Coursework has the potential to ruin even the best subject :frown: . Wish I'd learned programming at school. It might not go well with maths and physics at A level, but it'd be damn helpful once at university.

Even if you study Physics at uni? Which I'm presuming you are from the mention of quarks in your name.
Glutamic Acid
I agree with the systems analysis, although I haven't done much work on it, it doesn't seem very interesting.

What exam board is it? I think I remember hearing that AQA have shaken up the coursework structure (limiting the documentation to around 20 pages).

I'm on AQA.
For the AS, there is a suggested page limit of 20, but that doesn't include the code (so you can just put stuff in comments).
For the A2, there is no such suggested page limit, and I've seen an example of someone who did 100 pages of documentation (not including code) with 13 full pages of data flow diagrams...
Reply 37
I'm doing Chemistry, but doing all sciences I'm finding I'm actually missing writing essays and I never thought I'd say that. :biggrin:
Such a pointless thread. The op has given no input, no indication of what he/she wants to do/is interested in. All you guys may as well offer random suggestions.
Reply 39
silent ninja
Such a pointless thread. The op has given no input, no indication of what he/she wants to do/is interested in. All you guys may as well offer random suggestions.

Yeh I think from what the OP said it sounds like he should quit school & join the army

Latest