The Student Room Group

Ubc admission requirements

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Inkfigment
Are you going to retake Business to get an A?

Also how did u fund for the tuition fees and housing costs? Did you get a loan from the bank or something?

I still have a sheeeeet ton of questions to ask you but so far you have been extremely helpful as I have read your previous posts and the clarity you give in your answer. Also really appreciate you responding to my question.

Thank you so far.
Original post by helpmelolz
errrrrrrrrrrrr...........to be honest this year was my retake year lol. I did economics chemistry maths and product design the year before and I got 4 Us. But this time I took maths accounting business and I prefer these subjects but unfortunately kinda phooooked it....again but not as bad. I have big phoking aspirations and I don't wanna let these new results let me down. I am not gonna take business but i know.....i know for a fact I can improve cos I have my own business right now and obviously the skills are transferable. But I got that B in accounts this year and can get it to an A.

So if my predicted was AAB and my personal profile includes my own professional business/gold dofe/NCS and like leadership in my sports do you think I have a chance for the undergraduate degree in commerce at UBC Sauder.

I know its bloody competitive as hell but i've failed too many times to be let down by these grades. To be on a level with you I can feel it that I can change my grades....no lie. My head is in the books and my eyes are ruined.

Hey! I hear you, and there's no doubt that you'll be super successful. But right now, we're just talking about requirements as UBC might look at it and how predicted grades work. You might be able to bring a B up to an A, that's likely. But it's not possible to bring a D up to an A, or a B for that matter - even if you score really high 90s in your final A levels. You might be able to explain why your grades are low in your personal profile and maybe that might help but putting out a predicted that isn't realistic isn't likely to help your case. Own your grades. Explain why you have your grades. UBC is really competitive, especially after you get in because everything you learn is going to be harder that your A levels and they have to be convinced that you can cope.
Hey! I hear you, and there's no doubt that you'll be super successful. But right now, we're just talking about requirements as UBC might look at it and how predicted grades work. You might be able to bring a B up to an A, that's likely. But it's not possible to bring a D up to an A, or a B for that matter - even if you score really high 90s in your final A levels. You might be able to explain why your grades are low in your personal profile and maybe that might help but putting out a predicted that isn't realistic isn't likely to help your case. Own your grades. Explain why you have your grades. UBC is really competitive, especially after you get in because everything you learn is going to be harder that your A levels and they have to be convinced that you can cope.

Thanks for the response. How shall I play it now? I'm going back this week to start my A2 course. Shall I talk to my teachers if they can test me again in like a few weeks so they can get a sense of my progress? Wouldn't a teachers reference help....if they say something positive or I can prove to them I can do it? Because I wanna go UBC bad asf and unfortunately I messed up my AS. Is there a way for me to still make a path into UBC Sauder or is my dream dead? You see I might be moving to Canada in 2 years so I wanna adapt to the culture and lifestyle in British Columbia.
Thanks for the response. How shall I play it now? I'm going back this week to start my A2 course. Shall I talk to my teachers if they can test me again in like a few weeks so they can get a sense of my progress? Wouldn't a teachers reference help....if they say something positive or I can prove to them I can do it? Because I wanna go UBC bad asf and unfortunately I messed up my AS. Is there a way for me to still make a path into UBC Sauder or is my dream dead? You see I might be moving to Canada in 2 years so I wanna adapt to the culture and lifestyle in British Columbia.

I applied over four years ago, so I'm not sure if they require references from teachers now. They didn't while I was applying but maybe there's a space for extra documents. Look into that for sure. No dream is dead until you decide it is - apply, try to put in a recommendation from someone who believes in you and can vouch for you. Make a solid personal profile. Make up for your grades with extracurriculars and experience in different things. Make a solid case for yourself and show them why they would totally want you in their university!
Even if you decide to go to another university, you could get really good grades and transfer to UBC, I know loads of people who've done that. So that's always an option.
I applied over four years ago, so I'm not sure if they require references from teachers now. They didn't while I was applying but maybe there's a space for extra documents. Look into that for sure. No dream is dead until you decide it is - apply, try to put in a recommendation from someone who believes in you and can vouch for you. Make a solid personal profile. Make up for your grades with extracurriculars and experience in different things. Make a solid case for yourself and show them why they would totally want you in their university!
Even if you decide to go to another university, you could get really good grades and transfer to UBC, I know loads of people who've done that. So that's always an option.

Thank you very much. That was very helpful and greatly appreciated. I'm so grateful I found you online because you have been amazing.

I've still got a few more questions about UBC and your experience but let me sort my mess out right now then is it ok if I lay those questions on you later?

Absolute legend. Cheers.
Also how did u fund for the tuition fees and housing costs? Did you get a loan from the bank or something?

I still have a sheeeeet ton of questions to ask you but so far you have been extremely helpful as I have read your previous posts and the clarity you give in your answer. Also really appreciate you responding to my question.

Thank you so far.

Sorry, didn't see this! My parents actually fund my education so I'm afraid I won't be helpful with that. Although, I'm sure you can ask around in banks close to where you are and they'd be able to tell you about interest rates associated with education loans.
Thank you very much. That was very helpful and greatly appreciated. I'm so grateful I found you online because you have been amazing.

I've still got a few more questions about UBC and your experience but let me sort my mess out right now then is it ok if I lay those questions on you later?

Absolute legend. Cheers.

Of course, ask whenever you feel the time is right for you! You can message me if you have any questions, any time. Good luck!
Sorry, didn't see this! My parents actually fund my education so I'm afraid I won't be helpful with that. Although, I'm sure you can ask around in banks close to where you are and they'd be able to tell you about interest rates associated with education loans.

ok no worries. I'll ask banks and stuff. cheers. It's cos for Sauder the fee is like 49k CAD per annum for 4 years.....
Reply 28
Hello, I am helping my daughter looking into options for which courses to take for A levels to help her get into universities. I have looked into UBC and it mentions English as a prerequisite. Is that at A levels or GCSE?
Original post by dw.uk
Hello, I am helping my daughter looking into options for which courses to take for A levels to help her get into universities. I have looked into UBC and it mentions English as a prerequisite. Is that at A levels or GCSE?

Hi, what faculty is she looking to apply to?
yo hey inkfigment, needed some help with my personal profile. I got some questions to do and like there is one quesitons which says: 'What social issue is important to you? Why? How have you personally helped to address this issue? (maximum 200 words)'. Not gonna lie what does it mean and why would they ask me in this context? I know they want to know if im proactive or not but social issue is a bit of a broad one. The only thing I can think about is me helping environmental issue, e.g plastic waste. Help would be much appreciated. Kinda stresed and eyes are messed up for too much work...
Hi, I go to UBC Vancouver and I did A-levels. Feel free to message me if you have any questions about UBC.

As for your question, I think your AS level grades would matter more than you GCSEs. So if your AS level grades are better, you might have a solid chance of getting in. Your A level predictions should be strong as well. And as the other reply says, your personal profile matters almost as much as your grades! Try to show them how well-rounded you are. Good luck :smile:

Hi, I just finished my AS Level my subjects are: Mathematics, physics and IT. I have recently discovered that IT A Level is not acceptable UBC. I am going into my final year of high school this September 2020. What do you suggest I do. I really want to go to UBC.
Reply 32
Original post by LuciferStark
Hi, I just finished my AS Level my subjects are: Mathematics, physics and IT. I have recently discovered that IT A Level is not acceptable UBC. I am going into my final year of high school this September 2020. What do you suggest I do. I really want to go to UBC.

It’s too expensive
Original post by OMG354
It’s too expensive

Ur not answering my question buddy.
Original post by LuciferStark

Hey there. What’s your intended field of study and what are the required subjects?
Reply 35
Hey there. What’s your intended field of study and what are the required subjects?

Yo guys. I just applied to UBC sauder and my predicted grades were A Accounting A Business B Maths. I felt my personal profile was quite strong (maybe alright...idk). I havent got a response yet and also this Covid 19 threat is probably slowing down the process. Is it still ok to even wait this long to get a reply or have things gone south for me?
Reply 36
Original post by Jonny J
Yo guys. I just applied to UBC sauder and my predicted grades were A Accounting A Business B Maths. I felt my personal profile was quite strong (maybe alright...idk). I havent got a response yet and also this Covid 19 threat is probably slowing down the process. Is it still ok to even wait this long to get a reply or have things gone south for me?

I just got an offer a month ago from engineering
Original post by Jonny J

Hey, not sure this is a question any of us can answer. The best thing you can do is reach out to the admissions committee!
Reply 38
Hey, not sure this is a question any of us can answer. The best thing you can do is reach out to the admissions committee!

Ye Inkfigment, so basically I got an offer from my second choice which is Bachelor of Management at Okanhagen however I have been waitlisted for UBC sauder school of business Bachelor of Commerce. They said they will give an update on or before 30th May but I have to accept my management offer by 15th May. So....kinda consfused and also i'm still waiting for SFU's decision. I really want to go to Sauder and the Okanhagen program is very similar to the UK universities I have applied for so it would be cheaper to study here.... Due to Covid 19 what are the chances that I may get in?
Hi everyone, I really want to apply to UBC for next year as I’m taking a gap year. I want to apply for the commerce course however I did not take maths a level. However I got an 7 (A) in GCSE (considering I was the first year to take the new hard ones). I took business, English lit and psychology at a levels and got A* psychology, A business and B in English. How important is the A level maths and do you think I can apply without it? Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending