The Student Room Group

Radiography Applicants Thread!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Just got confirmation for spending a day in a therapy department near here, woo hoo :smile: Then I can let Hallam know and get things moving yey :smile:
I have accepted a place at sheffield hallam for radiotherapy and oncology :biggrin:, so excited about goin to uni nxt year. if ne1 else is puttin hallam as their first choice get in touch! xxxx
Reply 22
Just got an unconditional offer through from Portsmouth for Radiotherapy.

Well guys, I'm going to be a radiotherapist whatever happens! Wooooohoooooo!

I'm spending a day at a local hospital in two weeks and then will give Hallam the feedback from that, I'm a bit confused still though as my offer from them says all manner of things including to achieve the grades. I hope my A Levels are good enough from 04, there's no way I can get 200 points this year alone! I guess it was just the generic conditional text...
Reply 23
Just got confirmation - Hallam don't want me to get specific grades in my ASs :smile: Yey :biggrin:
Reply 24
Great stuff Sue :smile:
yey how exciting
i have spent the day doing physics and now doing some "relief" anatomy! lol busy day tomorrow so should go to bed but am not all that sleepy!
will be tomorrow morning though
congrats on the offer
x
Reply 26
That looks like Dr McDreamy in your avatar :biggrin:
Indeed it would be! Am somewhat slightly obsessed by that show :smile:
hoping to find my Mc dreamy once i go out on placements hehe. I have a top that says "Mc dreamys intern" that i wore to the hospital the other day however no one commented on it whatsoever- i was somewhat dissapointed :frown:
x
Reply 28
hey i was really interested in a career in radiography however after reading some comments on here about not being a 'normal student' meaning that its harder work im not so sure. what are your exams based on? is there many essays or presentations to do? is there alot of biology and physics involved?
thanks guys, prob sound like i havent research this career what so ever but just a few questions that havent really been answered yet anyway thanks
Reply 29
Hey Jade...

First of all.. if you're going to uni to be a student.. maybe radiography isn't for you :smile: However you said you were interested in a career in radiography - if that IS what you want to do then studying it at uni is for you!

About not being a 'normal student'... well, you go on clinical placements, which most of the time make up half the course. You don't do that studying English! And some of those placements eat up into holiday time - but this is different from uni to uni. For example, Portsmouth keeps the main academic year so if that is a concern for you, I'd advise applying there!

But it really does vary from uni to uni for a lot of things. Because it's (mostly afaik) an Hons degree, there is a research project involved. There's a lot of anatomy from what I gather (current students can add more to this), and physics so far as understanding the radiation science of it goes.

With regard to placements again it's different at every uni... as to how far away from the uni itself you go...

I've had three interview days so far, they went a bit like this:

Cardiff - 3 weeks hols at Christmas and Easter, 7 at summer. Placements are in 12 week blocks. Some assessments are exams, some presentations/assignments, you also have case studies from your placement, some practical assessment (dissecting room! :P but you don't actually do the dissecting).

Portsmouth - the placements were in like 3-6 week blocks IIRC... and the academic year is normal so runs September->June pretty much... Again.. mix of different assessment methods...

Sheffield Hallam - placements between 4-10 weeks, focused on one hospital mainly except elective/cross placement sites. Assessment sounded similar to Cardiff, minus the dissection room, and the students there told me there were only two exams but they were three hours heh!
Reply 30
Update on the application run for me this year!

Just got back from Cardiff interview.. my word I am tired. I was quite nervous last night so didn't sleep as early as I'd like and had to wake up at 5.15 :frown:

The interview was.. so-so I think. I wouldn't be surprised if I don't get an offer. I felt like more questions were asked at my other interviews and there's a few things I didn't get to say that I sort of thought about afterward.

But... if I don't get an offer, I'm not that fussed. Already I know I'm definitely doing this one way or another, and I've got into two places which I preferred to Cardiff.

No offence to anyone at Cardiff or anything :biggrin: The city is nice, but the Heath Park campus just struck me as a bit dreary and alien. There was nothing that really jumped out at me and made me say "yeah, I really want to come to Cardiff". Compared to Hallam... I mean at Hallam there was nothing (bar the little extra distance from my home town) that made me think I didn't want to go there.

So I wonder if I wasn't as convincing as I could've been in the interview. But hey, that's honest, and if I don't get an offer, maybe someone who wanted it more will do.
Reply 31
Offer from Cardiff! oO
Reply 32
well done Sue!

Not that I'm a radiographer, but I know quite a few at George's.
yey congrats there well done :smile:
to add to what has already been pretty much said already if your wanting to be a normal student and go to uni maybe 8 hours a week then no this isnt the course for you, if however your wanting a course that is much more hands on and career based then yes this is for you.
It varies from uni to uni but my placements up here at glasgow run in blocks of 5 weeks in the first year gradually extending as you go through the course. I have 4 exams in jan 2 for anatomy 1 written one practical eg labelling xrays and bone diagrams, one multiple choice for human physiology and one for radiation science (physicis) which is a 10 mark per question type of deal!
there is a lot of anatomy in the first term which i found enjoyable but you need to keep on top of the work and revision.
Ive had no essays and only lab reports for physics that ar assessed so been just a term of learning really which im now trying to see how much has fitted into my brain :smile: whilst revising!
its a different type of course but i thouroughly enjoy it :smile:
x
Im currently on the Radiotherapy and Oncology course at SHU, feel free to ask any questions! :smile:
Reply 35
little_miss_sunshine24
Im currently on the Radiotherapy and Oncology course at SHU, feel free to ask any questions!

You're soooo going to regret saying that :biggrin: :biggrin:

1. Do you like it?

2. Are you happy that you decided to go to Hallam?

3. Is all of your academic study based in that one building? I kinda liked the atmosphere of that :smile: Plus it's very fancy and nice.

4. What don't you like about the Hallam course?

5. Do you feel 'busy' all the time? I want to go somewhere that sorta pushes me I guess :smile:

6. Is it quite a sociable course in general? Spend time with course-mates etc?

7. How long would it take to walk from Collegiate Crescent into town? Do you know anyone who stayed at or near Charlotte Court as well and walked in? :smile:

I really loved the place and general feel I got when I was up there; and it has been by far the most informative when it comes to the course itself so far. I'm this close to firming right now tbh :biggrin: Just wanna know if there's any reasons I shouldn't :P
Hi again! Goin to keep the q's in numbers then you know what im talking about!

1. I really like it, definately made the right choice although placements are hard work at first both mentally and physically and they thrown you in the deep end, i watched the radiographers setting up on the first day then on the second day they got me using the bed controls and the gantry, by the end of the first placement i was able to set a patient up correctly to the tattoos and move the gantry to the correct place. The more you push yourself to get involved in the treatment room the better, they like that!

2. Definately happy I went to Hallam. Ive already completed a degree from Nottingham Trent before I came to Hallam and to me Hallam is loads better.

3. We usually have lectures in the main building near the library and a few every now and then in RWB (Robert Winston Building) but i think it depends on how big the groups are, we quite often have seminars in RWB. With the timetable also you are only in academic for around 8 weeks (I think, cant remember off top of my head) at a time then u go out on placement so academic is split up quite well with practical work. Over the summer in the first year you are just out on placement. Have you stated where you would like to go for your placement?

4. Cant really say theres anything I dont really like, apart from parking around campus!!! Parking is v difficult.

5. Theres always so much to do, the lectures are quite intense so you will get pushed!

6. Everyone is really nice in our year, although u make friends with people at the start of the year you will find that you spend more time with the people you are on placement with.

7. I think its about 20 mins or so walk into town but the bus is really cheap so most ppl jump on that, i think the furthest out people on my course lived was Bramall Lane, Archways and Leadmill. Everyone else either lived at the Forge or around Ecclesall Rd.

My gut instinct when I went for my interview was that I loved the place and it hasnt been proved wrong!
Reply 37
little_miss_sunshine24
My gut instinct when I went for my interview was that I loved the place

Same here.. nowhere else has come close :smile: I put preference for Weston Park on my form as many many will I'm sure, but then like.. Lincoln, Nottingham, Leeds, Derby as second choices; I've got accommodation in mind that comes with parking and those are all driving distance (sorta!)

One thing that appealed about SHU was that there'd be a lot more radiotherapists than basically any other uni that I've visited; plus the facilities are all amazing. Didn't see much of the main campus buildings but the learning centre/library looked nice.

Meh, who am I kidding. I'm going to my interview at St George's next week as it's right around the corner, but Liverpool I can't be bothered even just for interview and I've just sent my accommodation forms off for Unite at The Anvil so... SHU here I come :biggrin:

Thanks a lot for answering all my weird questions :biggrin:
Reply 38
Well the time has come (nearly)! Got a letter through offering me a place at Kingston/St George's two days after interview, just waiting for track to update.

I liked the 'feel' of the department there, very friendly both in terms of staff and students that I met; but I don't think it's for me sadly. I couldn't study at home - I need to make a new life for myself and I can't afford to get somewhere to live around here myself, and won't be eligible for halls due to distance.

Will be firming Hallam, insurance Portsmouth, and hi ho hi ho it's off to uni I go!
Reply 39
sounds great Sue - sorry you couldn't make it to George's but you sound like you're very happy with SHU :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest