The Student Room Group

optometry vs radiography

the title basically, having a dilemma because ive written my ps on optom but now having 2nd thoughts and considering diagnostic radiography. The only problem is I havent had work experience within radiography so i dont have the insight into how an actual day looks like what it consists of, I have watched a few videos but make both look very appealing and I would rather have a written account of some form that highlights the pros/cons of both courses just to be more realistic
Considering the main factors e.g pay, hours, actual enjoyability of the job etc could anyone provide just some guidance or their own experiences on either of the courses?

Just a ps the main reason im having 2nd thoughts about optom is many people say that you quickly start to hate the nature of the job because its very repetitive also you're very limited as to what you can do, mainly doing eye tests and giving out prescriptions. But I also understand radiography is more or less the same.

Thank you
(edited 6 months ago)
Original post by dr.futureme
the title basically, having a dilemma because ive written my ps on optom but now having 2nd thoughts and considering diagnostic radiography. The only problem is I havent had work experience within radiography so i dont have the insight into how an actual day looks like what it consists of, I have watched a few videos but make both look very appealing and I would rather have a written account of some form that highlights the pros/cons of both courses just to be more realistic
Considering the main factors e.g pay, hours, actual enjoyability of the job etc could anyone provide just some guidance or their own experiences on either of the courses?

Just a ps the main reason im having 2nd thoughts about optom is many people say that you quickly start to hate the nature of the job because its very repetitive also you're very limited as to what you can do, mainly doing eye tests and giving out prescriptions. But I also understand radiography is more or less the same.

Thank you

There is a thread here that you might find useful - it is a few years old but the OP is still around.

For career prospects for DR, have a look at the following:

https://www.prospects.ac.uk/job-profiles/diagnostic-radiographer

Try to get a day or half a day of shadowing experience in the radiography department of your local hospital. Hospitals seem to be more open to this rather than requests for a full week of work experience. Also, any experience you have of working or volunteering in a public facing role (in restaurants, bars, charity shops, etc.) is good for your personal statement. You still have time to do this as you don't need to submit your application until the end of January.

Also try and get to a few open days and listen to the subject talks for both courses - it really helps with the decision making. My daughter had four courses she was considering (DR was the favourite), but after a couple of open days she had changed her mind and is now studying therapeutic radiography.

Quick Reply

Latest