The Student Room Group

Should I take Maths & Further Maths?

Yeah, I like maths... I'm not the best though, I'll most likely come out with an A at the end of this year for GCSE maths, although that'd be with next to no revision... Just don't have the motivation to do well really :tongue: (I know, great start to this thread :rolleyes: ).

But yeah, basically I want to do Maths and Further Maths. I'm willing to put in a lot of effort and stuff, so I'm not asking if I can get a good grade... I want to know what kind of disadvantages do I have, and how much have I missed by not doing GCSE Statistics?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
You want to do it and you're good enough to do it, so why not?

You won't have missed out at all by not doing GCSE statistics.
Further Maths is really easy for some people and really hard for others. From what you've said, you'd be in the second category (just like I would have been). So don't take it - you don't really need it unless you want to do Maths or certain Engineering courses at certain universities.
Reply 3
It's not about whether you 'need' a subject. Unless you're not really interested in three different subjects, you should choose your A-levels based on what you find most intriguing. If maths is what you like doing, then take Further Maths. You'll get a lot more out of it than a normal maths A-level.

Don't worry about the whole 'not wanting to revise for GCSEs thing' either. Quite a few people get that (I know I did) - it's more down to boring syllabuses than your own laziness. (Unless of course, you are lazy - in which case, forget all that :p:.) It will change when you get to A-level, believe me.
Reply 4
Hmm, basically I want to take either Computer Science or Software Development at university. I'm sure Further Maths will be beneficial in one way or another... Either way, I mainly want to take it because I have an interest for Maths - maybe the GCSE grade I'm predicting myself doesn't show that, but ah well... As I've already said, I'm more than happy to put in the work needed to get an A in both Maths and Further Maths, I was just curious if I missed enough by not taking GCSE Statistics to warrant wondering I should think about not doing Further Maths.
Reply 5
GCSE Statistics has nothing to do with further maths..

honestly.. i learnt alevel statistics in one weekend.. using the revision book and still got a B in that exam, with further maths you should concentrate on FP1 and FP2, thats when it starts to get tricky :smile:
Reply 6
You could always do AS level Maths and then in your A2 year pick up AS FM if you hvae got a good result for AS Maths.
Reply 7
If you're confident in it and with some revision can get an A/A* in your GCSE's then why not?
Reply 8
Quite a few universities actually recommend that you have further maths for their computer science courses. (Although for software development, further maths probably won't be so important.)
.Theory
Yeah, I like maths... I'm not the best though, I'll most likely come out with an A at the end of this year for GCSE maths, although that'd be with next to no revision... Just don't have the motivation to do well really :tongue: (I know, great start to this thread :rolleyes: ).

But yeah, basically I want to do Maths and Further Maths. I'm willing to put in a lot of effort and stuff, so I'm not asking if I can get a good grade... I want to know what kind of disadvantages do I have, and how much have I missed by not doing GCSE Statistics?

Hey, I've just taken Further Maths this year (I'm in Year 12).
I'd say you shouldn't have too many problems with it at all, well especially not C1 (most of this is just expanding on things covered in GCSE). I personally have been having problems understanding Mechanics, well it's taken me more time to understand than Core, but I think I've cracked it.

There's no reason why you wouldn't be able to do fm, provided you put the work in! In my school they generally tell us we should be doing 2 hours of studying every night at least, with an extra of maths for those of doing fm (Argh!).

I'd say the biggest disadvantage for me is probably lack of free periods, but this only applies if you're doing it as an extra.

Basically it's the pace which most people find the hardest I think, but it's up to you. Good Luck :smile:, and feel free to ask me if you need help!
Oh yeah, and nobody in my school does GCSE Stats, it shouldn't be a problem. (Lol well I hope not :p:)
I'm doing FM and didn't even have the option to do GCSE Stats whereas most of my class have done! I'm now doing 3 modules of stats, and it's not made any difference tbh. They may have coasted a little easier through S1, but S1 was still based on the Stats learnt in GCSE maths (yes, *very* basic) and then a little new stuff which wasn't in either....

Anyway, GCSE stats makes no difference. The FP modules are where the hard work is!!
Do both.
I wasn't given the opportunity to do further maths, and I am going to resent this FOREVER.
I'd say definitely go for both, if further maths is too hard you can always give up on it.
And I'm doing the stats modules and didn't do GCSE stats, and I got a quite fab grade in S1. You won't be disadvantaged at all.
Reply 13
I did both and found further math hard but not impossible (I got an A* at GCSE). It depends whether you do A Level maths in the first year then further in the second year then I dont think it will be as hard as what I had to do which was both simultaneously. You will probably find it ok as long as you work.
You're making a big rod for your own back if you take further maths and you're not really comfortable with your maths. I'd guess if you're A standard at GCSE you're going to struggle with the further pure modules, but I'm not sure whether unis recognise that further maths B is probably worth an A in most subjects.
Reply 15
Further maths is piss. GCSE maths is hard.
Reply 16
.Theory
Should I take Maths & Further Maths?

Yes. Because Maths is cool :cool:
Reply 17
.Theory

Do Further Maths if you're thinking of doing something Maths/Computing related in the future. It's recommended you do Further Maths if you are going to Oxbridge and other good universities. But it depends on what subject you want to read at uni.
Reply 18
further maths is really good, i can't see anything 'bad' about it. it's a) makes the 'normal' maths easier b) it's more maths (mmm) c) the exam's not in january d) there's only 2 lessons of it in a week e) count yourself lucky that you got an option to do FM; others may not and f) it looks posh on your application form even if you've done at AS level. personally further maths have inspired me to do more research on maths out of interest (which is like wow for me :rolleyes:) leik black holes ;yes; don't worry if you've got A for maths gcse, you get recapped and taught everything back in the lessons.
Reply 19
Hmm, thanks for the replies.

How does this sound if I want to take either Software Development or Computer Science at a highly ranked university?

- Maths
- Further Maths
- Physics
- German (Uhh... It fits in somehow)

Latest