The Student Room Group

I feel lost after a levels

I feel so idk weird most people are happy anlevels are over but idk I feel soo lost cos now I have no purpose my purpose before was to revise but now I feel so confused about life and where I'm heading
Just keep moving forward. Revising for A levels was never a "forever thing" nor was it your purpose.
University? Apprenticeships? Employment?
Reply 3
It's kinda depressing like I'll miss going to college and friends and doing work. It's
A weird
Feeling
Original post by revision1
I feel so idk weird most people are happy anlevels are over but idk I feel soo lost cos now I have no purpose my purpose before was to revise but now I feel so confused about life and where I'm heading

I finished my A-levels about 7 years ago in 2010.
I was in a situation similar to you.

Whatever you do, don't be a sheep.

I went to university because among many things everybody I knew was going. I just followed the mass, going with the flow.
I paid minimal attention to my education in uni, failed the 2nd year and came back home a faliure. I did not think uni through, had no specific goal in mind.

The best advice I can give is take your time- it doesnt matter if you decide to study uni 2/3 years from now, it doesnt matter if you're 23 or even 30, all that matters is that you know you want to do this, why you are getting in to educational debt, why you are there!

https://www.prospects.ac.uk/graduate-jobs

this government site is a good place to start. Look at what job interest you, whenever possible get in touch with someone living the career that interest you. Or take a week of work experience to see what the life is like. Be Proactive.

Don't just go to uni aiming for a 1st, Go to uni aiming for a specific job.
Take a gap year to figure this out if you need to, work part time, or full time to keep yourself busy and save money for future expenditures.

Good luck and lets catch up in a few years,
You can tell me then if my advice sucked or helped.
Reply 5
Original post by ChemicalChance
I finished my A-levels about 7 years ago in 2010.
I was in a situation similar to you.

Whatever you do, don't be a sheep.

I went to university because among many things everybody I knew was going. I just followed the mass, going with the flow.
I paid minimal attention to my education in uni, failed the 2nd year and came back home a faliure. I did not think uni through, had no specific goal in mind.

The best advice I can give is take your time- it doesnt matter if you decide to study uni 2/3 years from now, it doesnt matter if you're 23 or even 30, all that matters is that you know you want to do this, why you are getting in to educational debt, why you are there!

https://www.prospects.ac.uk/graduate-jobs

this government site is a good place to start. Look at what job interest you, whenever possible get in touch with someone living the career that interest you. Or take a week of work experience to see what the life is like. Be Proactive.

Don't just go to uni aiming for a 1st, Go to uni aiming for a specific job.
Take a gap year to figure this out if you need to, work part time, or full time to keep yourself busy and save money for future expenditures.

Good luck and lets catch up in a few years,
You can tell me then if my advice sucked or helped.

Thank you so much for your advise it was very helpful ! My tutor in college was actually almost forcing me to go uni even tho I don't know what to do with my life career wise. Deffo will take your advise what a levels did you study and what did you end up striding in uni and what are you doing now! Would love to know if you don't mind! Thanks again 😊
Thank you so much for your advise it was very helpful ! My tutor in college was actually almost forcing me to go uni even tho I don't know what to do with my life career wise. Deffo will take your advise what a levels did you study and what did you end up striding in uni and what are you doing now! Would love to know if you don't mind! Thanks again 😊

First, I want to start off by saying that I am not in anyway a success story, but I gave to you the advices that I did, I tell you my story with the hopes that ...you might learn from my mistakes or my hindsights and be better off for it.

To answer your question-
I studied Biology, Chemistry and RS; and I went on to study Human Biology at the University of Wales, formerly known as The University of Glamorgan at the time.
I picked the course on a whim, no plans. No goals.

After I failed my education I came back home. I was jobless for about 2 months, I felt lost, confused and angry about how I had ended up in my situation.

I had zero luck to begin with, those long walks up to the city job centers were one of the most depressing walks of my life.
Then good fortune shined upon me; I got a job as a Kitchen porter at a restaurant.

Looking back I like to think that I might have been the best KP to ever work in that restaurant. Not to get cocky, but no other KP I have met since that time has been so driven as I was!

I channeled all my frustration about everything on the endless pots and pans that came my way;
I thought to myself, "this is my bottom, if I can't even excel at this menial job then what can I do?, Is this really the edge of my limits? I don't know, but am going to find out!
and if this is it, then I am going to excel at it like none before me."

My efforts paid off, after many months, the owners offered me an apprenticeship in catering over other applicants including another KP working alongside me(who had been there longer waiting for that offer).

Nearly 5 years since I started my apprenticeship. Now I work as a Pastry Chef.
And I also like to think that I am the best Pastry Chef that this establishment has ever seen. haha

With regards to your teachers, I think that their intentions are good, even if lacking in clarification. Which is all they needed to do.

Simply put... 'The earlier you start ,the earlier you finish.'
The earlier you start your walk towards a particular goal-Career goal, academic, financial etc, the sooner you are likely to get there and have more time to enjoy the benefits of it.

But for most people, just identifying that goal to begin with is more difficult than reaching it.
Take your time discovering what you want to do in life.
Its not a race. But don't just waste time either, if you're going to take a break, keep that question constantly at the back of your mind while keeping proactive!

keep searching, you deserve to find out where the edge of your limits lies. Don't settle for comfortable.

Take some time out to think about what you want out of life. There's no rush, I only figured out what I wanted to do when I was 21! Get yourself a job (if you don't have one), save up some money and go on holiday, have a break
Reply 8
Officially done with a levels and it's all kicking in now I just don't know who I am anymore. It hurts so bad that I just can't take how I'm feeling. People my year are excited leaving college but I feel like I'm zoomed becasue for two years I've been studying there the teachers were nice will miss them and my friends. I feel like I won't get over how I'm feeling i only used to get out of my house cos of college and now it's all over it's like starting over again😭

I finished my GCSE's I feel so bored i don't know what to do with myself.
Officially done with a levels and it's all kicking in now I just don't know who I am anymore. It hurts so bad that I just can't take how I'm feeling. People my year are excited leaving college but I feel like I'm zoomed becasue for two years I've been studying there the teachers were nice will miss them and my friends. I feel like I won't get over how I'm feeling i only used to get out of my house cos of college and now it's all over it's like starting over again😭

Are you heading off to university?Maybe learn a language find a hobby watch a good documentary do some reading the library has great books.
Original post by Anonymous1502
Are you heading off to university?Maybe learn a language find a hobby watch a good documentary do some reading the library has great books.

I seriously a man panicking I feel so confused everything seems like a blur I honesty don have any hobbies and nope I'm not I should but I just have to take some time out
I seriously a man panicking I feel so confused everything seems like a blur I honesty don have any hobbies and nope I'm not I should but I just have to take some time out

Find a part time or a full time job so maybe you can save up and go on a holiday or save up and go to university next year.Learning languages is great youtube has so many good videos on any language literally the best part it is free.If you are not going to university why did you revised so much for your a levels why was it your purpose.Use them well either go to university do an apprenticeship or something.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Anonymous1502
Find a part time or a full time job so maybe you can save up and go on a holiday or save up and go to university next year.Learning languages is great youtube has so many good videos on any language literally the best part it is free.If you are not going to university why did you revised so much for your a levels why was it your purpose.Use them well either go to university do an apprenticeship or something.

I'll try to I seriously don't know how to stop or snap out of the way I'm feeling my
Friends have turned on me I don't have anyone
I know how you feel I felt the same way after I followed a career that I loved but then realised I was getting nothing out of it. Then I felt lost and I'm just going into something crappy but safe.
I'll try to I seriously don't know how to stop or snap out of the way I'm feeling my
Friends have turned on me I don't have anyone

If they turned on you during your momments of despair they are not friends.Friends are not people who only call you to go out or have something from you a friend is someone who cares about your mental and physical wellbeing who would listen to you during your times of deapair.Sorry if I was harsh I have been seeking mental help myself since 14 maybe you can go to a psychologist of some sort so you can open up to someone and they won't judge you as it is their job.What is stopping you?I have days where I don't know what am I doing and just want to give up and cry but then I remind myself of the ultimate goal which is to go to university and study medicine.

Set yourself a goal look at it every day give your life a purpose and meaning.You worked so hard during your a levels use that energy that drove you to study in the first place to achieve success.Use that determination and ambition exam season is tough it requires 3-4 months of study and more study.You managed while many crack under pressure use this dilligent nature of yours towards something positive making something of yourself.Maybe try tutoring it is a nice job working flexible hours unlike in a shop where there is no flexibility.Just for a year if you plan on going to university afterall.Maybe get some work experience to remind yourself why you worked so hard in the first place.Remind yourself where you want to be in life what do you want to achieve.
Reply 16
You can earn money and do things now. Trust me, it's much better.

For maximum independence, learn to drive.
Reply 17
Original post by yellowcar1

Literally I've just felt so confused about what it is I'meant to do now like we have 3 months which sounded amazing while I was doing the exams but after it sounds so long and I don't know what to do with myself like u said it feels like I have no purpose. It's coz like recently a levels became our lives, when we talked to our mates it was to complain about a levels, we didn't sleep it was coz of revision, didn't go out as much or at all coz of revision. like a levels and revision were our lives and now it's gone so quickly it's overwhelming. And I think there's like an idealistic idea of what it's like after finishing a levels so the real thing of sitting in Ur room staring at the ceiling anxious is underwhelming. it's just like a lack of that structure that for the past few years was ingrained into you. Also it's also like realising just now that that's it I won't go college again, I won't study those subjects, I won't sit with my mates at that one table we always run to, no more writing notes to each other in the locker we share, no more hot chocolate in the morning, lunch in the park while revising etc it's like all these lasts and its making me anxious on top of waiting for results which in itself causes stress. I genuinely thought it was just me feeling this shi until I texted the gc and found out we're all feeling this way and don't really know what to do, which to be honest made me feel better. Ik a lot of people are like do this or do that but to be honest I feel exhausted and drained like I want to do something and have a purpose but a part of me can't be asked. I don't know this time is like a very confusing bridge hopefully it'll be over soon
(edited 10 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest