The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Surely it's down to the individual person rather than what nationality they are.

One person could find the Russian they live with the most annoying person in the world. The another person could find the Russian they live with the perfect and ideal housemate.
Anyone who has come over from another country not understanding the way of life here or bringing some of their culture with them (or, possibly worse, overdoing their "Englishness" to the point of pure rudeness / arrogance / insolence / whatever) generally pisses me off. It's not a nationality-specific thing; chances are the American and German have similar cultures (well, they do) and the Nigerian doesn't / was brought up in a family that doesn't / has had external influences that has affected their way of life slightly.

Or maybe the nationality is irrelevant. Who knows.
Roger Kirk
Surely it's down to the individual person rather than what nationality they are.

One person could find the Russian they live with the most annoying person in the world. The another person could find the Russian they live with the perfect and ideal housemate.

That's not necessarily true. My initial thought was "yay, racism!", but on closer inspection, we all know that Asians generally work harder and get stressed more easily, Germans are obsessed with precision and punctuality, Spaniards are the opposite, and anyone who simply can't "do" English culture is immediately bloody difficult to live with. Of course, it could well just be the individual, but I think I would get annoyed very quickly with certain traits related to specific nationalities.

And then there's the culture thing; some cultures are inherently xenophobic / strongly (exclusively) religious / homophobic / intolerant...
generalebriety
That's not necessarily true. My initial thought was "yay, racism!", but on closer inspection, we all know that Asians generally work harder and get stressed more easily, Germans are obsessed with precision and punctuality, Spaniards are the opposite, and anyone who simply can't "do" English culture is immediately bloody difficult to live with. Of course, it could well just be the individual, but I think I would get annoyed very quickly with certain traits related to specific nationalities.

And then there's the culture thing; some cultures are inherently xenophobic / strongly (exclusively) religious / homophobic / intolerant...

But isn't that all generalisations and stereotyping?

Ad given that most of us at uni will perhaps only know one or two people at most of a given nationality, it doesn't put us in a good position to judge a particular nationality, rather only a couple of individuals. What is to say that those few we come across are representative of their whole country or not? :smile:
Reply 5
generalebriety

yeh that is true, its not exactly disliking an entire race, some people who come from a different culture will be rather annoying and i think we get along better with people that have similar ideas and stuff
Reply 6
Lol, this thread wasn't supposed to be racist just wanted to see if anyone else had annoying international housemates like me! :biggrin: All my international housemates seem to refuse to do anything English even though studying in England. They only want friends who are their nationality, eat their food, won't even drink damn tap water and take all the fridge space up with their stupid bottled water!!! :confused:
Don't give the Nigerian your email address, you'll end up with loads of scam emails.
Reply 8
Kimbolina
Lol, this thread wasn't supposed to be racist just wanted to see if anyone else had annoying international housemates like me! :biggrin: All my international housemates seem to refuse to do anything English even though studying in England. They only want friends who are their nationality, eat their food, won't even drink damn tap water and take all the fridge space up with their stupid bottled water!!! :confused:

Despite going to a multi cultural school, i found the same thing happened, the chinese stayed with chinese and did what all the chinese did, the asians stayed with asians and so on...I'm shocked that its like this at Uni as well, guess i was very naive:p:
Reply 9
M.A.H
Despite going to a multi cultural school, i found the same thing happened, the chinese stayed with chinese and did what all the chinese did, the asians stayed with asians and so on...I'm shocked that its like this at Uni as well, guess i was very naive:p:

I think it's REALLY unfair I've been put with these internationals who I have nothing in common with!!! The nigerian is shouting and screaming right now, yay fun!!!
Roger Kirk
But isn't that all generalisations and stereotyping?

Yeah, but generalisations and stereotypes happen for a reason. Just because it's a stereotype, doesn't mean it's false; all the Germans I know (quite a lot) conform to their precision / punctuality stereotype, most of the Asians I know (again, quite a lot) conform to their hardworking attitude / stressy stereotype, and so on.

Roger Kirk
Ad given that most of us at uni will perhaps only know one or two people at most of a given nationality, it doesn't put us in a good position to judge a particular nationality, rather only a couple of individuals. What is to say that those few we come across are representative of their whole country or not? :smile:

There's a hell of a lot of Asians coming over to British universities nowadays, as well as a fair number of Germans / Dutch people. Alright, it's not a fair claim to make that a whole nationality is annoying based off one Nigerian, but on the other hand, if you found typical Asian stereotypes annoying and lived around a lot of Asians (which is not at all unlikely) who all conformed to those stereotypes (again not at all unlikely), you'd be in a slightly better position to generalise.
M.A.H

Uh huh. There's loads of Chinese people here at Cambridge, and some of them are really nice, but a lot also seem to associate predominantly with other Chinese people and form fairly exclusive cliques, having conversations in Chinese with each other while in a group (of people who don't all speak Chinese), as well as either conforming to the typical "hardworking" stereotype, or trying to be "too" English by being the laziest people I know; I know a lot of examples of both. Of course, it's not universal, but it's very pronounced (as it was in my school, if less so because it was much smaller).
Reply 12
generalebriety
Yeah, but generalisations and stereotypes happen for a reason. Just because it's a stereotype, doesn't mean it's false; all the Germans I know (quite a lot) conform to their precision / punctuality stereotype, most of the Asians I know (again, quite a lot) conform to their hardworking attitude / stressy stereotype, and so on.

There's a hell of a lot of Asians coming over to British universities nowadays, as well as a fair number of Germans / Dutch people. Alright, it's not a fair claim to make that a whole nationality is annoying based off one Nigerian, but on the other hand, if you found typical Asian stereotypes annoying and lived around a lot of Asians (which is not at all unlikely) who all conformed to those stereotypes (again not at all unlikely), you'd be in a slightly better position to generalise.

Yeah it seems that it is a bit unfair to say nigerians are annoying because I have one nigerian housemate who is annoying but from observations and from friends who live with them, they are generally all the same to be honest. Same goes for other nationalities, maybe not ALL the people in a certain nationality are the same but it seems most of them are.
Reply 13
You can surely realise why the Asian stereotype appears to be true when the sample of the population you meet is the most hardworking and ambitious portion, I hope.
As for Germans...I really don't know where that stereotype comes from, the Germans I know (admittedly only 3 at uni and a couple at school) haven't fit it at all.

I really don't think it's a good idea to let yourself think that a stereotype is somehow correct as it leads to unwarranted prejudice. I wonder how many Chinese students haven't integrated because English students have assumed they want to stay with their own?
Reply 14
Apagg
You can surely realise why the Asian stereotype appears to be true when the sample of the population you meet is the most hardworking and ambitious portion, I hope.

Most of the Asians I've met (admittedly not a huge amount) tend to partake in drug dealing/consumption, slack off uni, and talk loudly on their mobiles in the middle of the library. You can't generalise.
Reply 15
Glutamic Acid
Don't give the Nigerian your email address, you'll end up with loads of scam emails.

ha! good one! :biggrin:
Perhaps you're both talking about 'different' Asians?
Reply 17
Kimbolina
Thought I'd start a thread on who you guys believe are the most annoying nationalities to live with from your personal experiences or someone you know etc. I currently live with an American, German and a Nigerian and I have to say the Nigerian is the most annoying so far, even though the other two aren't very nice either.

SHARE!! :tsr2:

The English are the worst.
They talk loudly, swear unnecessarily, forget to flush toilets and have poor personal hygiene.
Reply 18
Apagg
As for Germans...I really don't know where that stereotype comes from, the Germans I know (admittedly only 3 at uni and a couple at school) haven't fit it at all.

I really don't think it's a good idea to let yourself think that a stereotype is somehow correct as it leads to unwarranted prejudice. I wonder how many Chinese students haven't integrated because English students have assumed they want to stay with their own?

Yeah but I've tried so hard with my housemates and they don't wanna know, the Nigerian never comes out her room but now her Nigerian friends have come round she's screaming and shouting keeping everyone up. As for the American and German, they talk to me and everything but all their mates are from the same nationality!! If they really wanted to make friends with other nationalities surely there would be some sort of exception i.e. a few chinese hanging round with Germans for example which so far I have not seen atall.
Reply 19
Kimbolina
Yeah but I've tried so hard with my housemates and they don't wanna know, the Nigerian never comes out her room but now her Nigerian friends have come round she's screaming and shouting keeping everyone up. As for the American and German, they talk to me and everything but all their mates are from the same nationality!! If they really wanted to make friends with other nationalities surely there would be some sort of exception i.e. a few chinese hanging round with Germans for example which so far I have not seen atall.

Well on that note, are the majority of your friends British, or do you hang around with a group of Chinese students?
I don't see why the fact that they feel more comfortable with people from their own countries/cultures makes them bad to live with?

Latest

Trending

Trending