The Student Room Group

What happens if you leave the UK but want to continue study?

Hey, bit of a niche case I understand but struggling to see an answer.

I can see how to make sure I am making the right payments and the forms and such AFTER my course has finished, but in the mean time -

I'm a permanent UK resident and national, I've been fully eligible for tuition loan for my first 2 years of Study with the Open Uni (done full time but it counts as part time for tuition loan)

I fully expect to be here in my 3rd year of study, but there is a chance that 1) I might have to take a 4th year and if I do there is a chance I may be emmigrating to Australia in that time. It purely depends on IF we are able to go and how long it takes for the Australian government to issue the visa - which can be a year and therefore wouldn't matter

My question though is lets say the visa goes through before I start the 4th year, am I still eligible to claim student finance for the 4th year, even if I no longer live in the UK before it starts?

The question online is something to the effect of 'be a UK national for 3 years PRIOR to start of FIRST year of course' - so I feel like I may well be? as this will be the 4th year anyway. I know the next step is about making sure I make my payments to SFE but I want to know if I'm actually going to be able to finish my course - it's remote learning so it really doesn't matter where I am in the world.

EDIT: If we go it will most likely be a permanent visa. I'm still technically a UK national at that point but I won't be living here for the 4th year, most likely not even at the start/point of applying for 4th year finance.
(edited 5 months ago)
Original post by LewisJ8877
Hey, bit of a niche case I understand but struggling to see an answer.

I can see how to make sure I am making the right payments and the forms and such AFTER my course has finished, but in the mean time -

I'm a permanent UK resident and national, I've been fully eligible for tuition loan for my first 2 years of Study with the Open Uni (done full time but it counts as part time for tuition loan)

I fully expect to be here in my 3rd year of study, but there is a chance that 1) I might have to take a 4th year and if I do there is a chance I may be emmigrating to Australia in that time. It purely depends on IF we are able to go and how long it takes for the Australian government to issue the visa - which can be a year and therefore wouldn't matter

My question though is lets say the visa goes through before I start the 4th year, am I still eligible to claim student finance for the 4th year, even if I no longer live in the UK before it starts?

The question online is something to the effect of 'be a UK national for 3 years PRIOR to start of FIRST year of course' - so I feel like I may well be? as this will be the 4th year anyway. I know the next step is about making sure I make my payments to SFE but I want to know if I'm actually going to be able to finish my course - it's remote learning so it really doesn't matter where I am in the world.

EDIT: If we go it will most likely be a permanent visa. I'm still technically a UK national at that point but I won't be living here for the 4th year, most likely not even at the start/point of applying for 4th year finance.

Hi Lewis, To be eligible for student finance you must be residing in the UK for the course duration. Even though its a online course you must still be living in the UK at all times. Thanks, Angela

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending