The Student Room Group
Reply 1
My voluntary work certainly provided a degree of social awareness...
I think what they mean by social awareness is the ability to understand peoples worries and problems, their personal situations and so on. As long as you have decent work experience and understand the above, I'm sure you will be fine, as long as you are not a total social tool. :smile:
Reply 3
What do you mean by social awareness?

EDIT: Yeah thats what I thought it meant Speedbird! In which case I think some people are born with it. In the worst situations some people do and say the most stupid things without even realising the effects it will have on other people around them!

I'm not sure how you could learn it though?
Reply 4
I thought social awareness also meant experience of society outside of what you might be used to (e.g. working with children, the elderly, people with serious illnesses, disabled people?) So voluntary work would definitely help with that aspect and I'm sure you'd have a lot to talk about from your hospital experience!
Reply 5
Doctor S
I was just looking through some online medical application factors and i came across "Social Awareness" tbh i was stumped at this concept. What has anyone else done to gain a real social awareness because i can't think of anything apart from voluntary work in a hospital that i have done. Also it is apparently an important part to the admission criteria.

Yeh I heard that too: "concern for society at large" from the admissions tutor at bristol for med, on this DVD thing. Glad I put that in my PS.

EDIT: contextually though, I think it means like being aware that obesity is a growing problem amongs teenagers, etc.
Reply 6
mouse_mat
Yeh I heard that too: "concern for society at large" from the admissions tutor at bristol for med, on this DVD thing. Glad I put that in my PS.

EDIT: contextually though, I think it means like being aware that obesity is a growing problem amongs teenagers, etc.
yeah.. knowing that drugs are everywhere
no one has any money
and people dont want to get better
and there's loads of people with COPD
and hiv and epilepsy and stuff are really stigmatised

that sort of rubbish.
Reply 7
Saffie
yeah.. knowing that drugs are everywhere
no one has any money
and people dont want to get better
and there's loads of people with COPD
and hiv and epilepsy and stuff are really stigmatised

that sort of rubbish.

Not funny, I know someone HIV positive. Please don't take the piss so lightly.:mad:
Reply 8
Wangers
Not funny, I know someone HIV positive. Please don't take the piss so lightly.:mad:
i dont think it should be stigmatised, that's what i think's rubbish.

but seriously, chill out.. :s-smilie:
Reply 9
Saffie
i dont think it should be stigmatised, that's what i think's rubbish.

but seriously, chill out.. :s-smilie:

Ohh Oops, sorry I read that as one sentance:redface: My apologies:smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending