The Student Room Group

Disappointed with pass mark on theory test

I passed my theory test a few days ago with 43/50 on the questions and 61/75 on hazard perception. I was initially relieved to have passed first time (and pleasantly surprised with the hazard perception result), but I can’t help feeling disappointed that I only just scraped a pass on the questions. I read the Highway Code and took loads of practice tests (although I probably could’ve gone over road signs a bit more as three road sign questions tripped me up), so I feel a bit dumb that it still wasn’t enough to get a great pass mark. Most people who just scraped a pass seem happy just to have passed, but I’m a perfectionist and really wanted to come away with a higher mark, especially as I was used to getting 47+ on practice tests.

Did anyone else who just scraped a pass (either on the questions or hazard perception) feel disappointed with their pass mark to the point that they wanted to retake their test? I thought I’d ask because I’ve not really come across any threads about low pass marks. And I feel like I’m probably the first person EVER to consider retaking the theory test with a pass lol. To be honest though, I think that’s been fuelled by someone’s comment (“you revised that much and only JUST passed?”) and smart asses on forums shaming people who only just scrape a pass, saying how they shouldn’t be on the roads. I’m pretty shocked by how nasty and snobbish some people are about others’ pass marks.
Reply 1
Original post by HRGrantus
I passed my theory test a few days ago with 43/50 on the questions and 61/75 on hazard perception. I was initially relieved to have passed first time (and pleasantly surprised with the hazard perception result), but I can’t help feeling disappointed that I only just scraped a pass on the questions. I read the Highway Code and took loads of practice tests (although I probably could’ve gone over road signs a bit more as three road sign questions tripped me up), so I feel a bit dumb that it still wasn’t enough to get a great pass mark. Most people who just scraped a pass seem happy just to have passed, but I’m a perfectionist and really wanted to come away with a higher mark, especially as I was used to getting 47+ on practice tests.

Did anyone else who just scraped a pass (either on the questions or hazard perception) feel disappointed with their pass mark to the point that they wanted to retake their test? I thought I’d ask because I’ve not really come across any threads about low pass marks. And I feel like I’m probably the first person EVER to consider retaking the theory test with a pass lol. To be honest though, I think that’s been fuelled by someone’s comment (“you revised that much and only JUST passed?”) and smart asses on forums shaming people who only just scrape a pass, saying how they shouldn’t be on the roads. I’m pretty shocked by how nasty and snobbish some people are about others’ pass marks.

The mark you got is irrelevant. You demonstrated you had a good enough knowledge to progress to a practical driving test, and that is all you need to do.

You can't resit anyway, so...
Reply 2
Original post by IWMTom
The mark you got is irrelevant. You demonstrated you had a good enough knowledge to progress to a practical driving test, and that is all you need to do.

You can't resit anyway, so...

Right, well I’ll just have to get over it. Yeah, I thought it was irrelevant until I started reading/hearing negative comments about getting quite a few questions wrong. Tbh though, those are probably the kind of people who would claim you’re thick if you don’t get 50/50.
Reply 3
Original post by HRGrantus
Right, well I’ll just have to get over it. Yeah, I thought it was irrelevant until I started reading/hearing negative comments about getting quite a few questions wrong. Tbh though, those are probably the kind of people who would claim you’re thick if you don’t get 50/50.

The test is full of outdated and not relevant questions. Don't worry about it.
Reply 4
Original post by JohnGreek
You haven't come across any threads with low pass marks because there's no reason for people to broadcast what is, by definition, the minimum expected (and therefore a thoroughly unexceptional) score. Don't worry about it.

Be a perfectionist in areas of life where your grade matters. Get A*s at A-level. Get a First at uni. Finish your Master's with a Distinction. Otherwise, you're gonna consume your thoughts and effort into caring about something that a) no one cares about, and b) you can't change anyway.

I had the opposite of what you're describing - terrible practice paper scores (I failed half of my sample papers, and only passing the last two-three sample papers before my exam ), and a surprisingly good 47 for my actual test. Since then, I've done a bit more looking - independently - to make sure that my theory is actually up to scratch, more so for my own road safety as opposed to some arbitrary score in a test I will never have to do again in my life. I didn't feel any more intelligent thanks to my last-minute score improvement, because I knew that, deep down, what stopped me from doing amazingly well was that I couldn't be arsed to put in the time and resources to reach driving theory perfection. Conversely, you shouldn't be feeling bad for an outlier grade, when you were presumably doing very well in the rest of your practice papers.

Yeah, the fact that I usually did well on practice tests reassures me that I must have sufficient enough knowledge. I think revising for the test has been so consuming in the last month or so that I expected to pass with flying colours and got that in my head. I guess the test can be the luck of the draw to a certain extent. It’s also highlighted where I clearly still need to improve (namely road signs - and caravan/trailer towing questions I got wrong lol :unimpressed: ). I actually picked up my Highway Code the morning of the test to go through road signs but didn’t bother because I was too nervous to do any revision. Doh.

But yeah, what you’ve said about focusing on grades that matter is good advice. I’ll try to let that override obsessing over the theory mark :’) And like you said, it's important to make sure your theory is actually up to scratch, even with a high pass mark.
Reply 5
What on EARTH are you talking about bro. You should be grateful that you passed first time, compared to over half who fail at the first attempt.

The pass mark is irrelevant, as long as you have passed the reached the minimum standard, which you have, there's nothing to worry about.

I'm sitting my theory test on my 17th birthday which is in 10 days, so I hope I pass first time like you haha.
I'm a perfectionist to and I was dissapointed that I passed but got 46 out of 50 on the question part as I was hoping to get atleast 48 or above as I was hitting 49 to 50 out of 50 most times on the mock tests.Still happy I passed though and that I don't have to take the test again.
I'm the exact same, passed today but with 43/50 and 53/75 (mostly due to the fact I clicked too many times on the double HP video) but everyone seems to be bragging their scores? Tbh I'm just glad I passed and don't have to spend more money to go do the test again.
Reply 8
I passed with first attempt yesterday 48/50 🤪
(edited 2 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending