The Student Room Group

Only 20% of young British people are active followers of Jesus

Scroll to see replies

>implying all young british people are christian
I expected the statistic to be lower.

Personally, I was baptised as a 'tradition' but I never believed in the religion. Genuinely had a crisis about this when I was like 5, felt like I wanted to believe for the security of salvation but you can't force yourself into a faith and I don't like most aspects of Christianity anyway.

People have the free will to choose what they believe now. We have access to lots of different ideas and beliefs. Before, we were either forced to accept Christianity or just didn't know any different. I think it's better now that we have a choice - religion is more genuine and I don't think Christians should be worried.
I didn't know Jesus had Twitter?

I'm kiiiidding, I'm not surprised though.
Reply 43
Original post by _archangel
Islam preaches objectivelty abhorrent things. Rejecting that doesn't make people intolerant.

Islam preaches abhorrent things? Like what?
Me thinks OP feels threatened by Christianity, like so many other Muslims. "Our religion has more followers than yours", etc. Carry on "Getting bigger and stronger" as you all like to say. Heaven is reserved for the very few, not billions.
I think that a lot of this comes down to how you define ''active'' or ''practicing'' members of religions. I don't know many people (maybe two or three, including colleagues and former classmates) who went to church for anything other than specific events or occasions. Some of the others would still call themselves Christians, even if they didn't go to a church. I know some people who identified as Christians but told me that they didn't believe that Jesus necessarily existed, and that he could have been a story used as an example Christian ideologies.

It all depends on how people define their own religion. Being in London, though, I doubt as many as one in five youngsters are actively following Christianity. But that's just personal experience.
Not surprised as a Christian. It is what it is. We don't know what the future will hold but religious people generally have more kids than irreligious people.
Original post by FarhanHalim
And to everyone else, do you feel that this is part of a change towards atheism and that eventually religions like Christianity will be non-existent in the UK?

It worries me that so many do. I hope that it is a move towards Atheism.

Perhaps now all those empty churches could be more productively used, e.g. to house the homeless.
Reply 48
They don't follow him that well.
Original post by Ladymusiclover
Not surprised as a Christian. It is what it is. We don't know what the future will hold but religious people generally have more kids than irreligious people.

Are you claiming that the religious indoctrinate their children?
Original post by RogerOxon
Are you claiming that the religious indoctrinate their children?

Regardless of religion but we tend to follow our parents' belief up until a point even in irreligious families. But in Jewish/Muslim families particularly the children tend to follow and live a religious life into adulthood.
Reply 51
The number are surprisingly high considering the traditional Church of England is filled with closed atheists and their version of Christianity is a mere parody of the religion.
My whole family is Roman Catholic; I was brought up Roman Catholic and went through all the things ya do. I stopped believing in all that nonsense once I realised that I'd been brainwashed into religion from the day I was born. I will never put my children through this BS. If they want to seek religion they can do so under their own free will.
Original post by markova21
Me thinks OP feels threatened by Christianity, like so many other Muslims. "Our religion has more followers than yours", etc. Carry on "Getting bigger and stronger" as you all like to say. Heaven is reserved for the very few, not billions.

Waiting for EternalLight to pop up with her 'facts'.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/06/17/one-six-young-people-christian-visits-church-buildings-inspire/

For any Christians on here, does this worry you? The fact that so few young people are actually practising Christianity? Or are you fine with it?

And to everyone else, do you feel that this is part of a change towards atheism and that eventually religions like Christianity will be non-existent in the UK?

It's not exactly news - I mean the number is likely to drop with the cancer that is atheism soaring
No it doesn't worry me, just makes me realise how rare true believers and followers of Christianity are in my generation tbh :cry2: good thing my college has a fun, buzzing CU :u:
Original post by markova21

How can you say that? Of course everyone has a place in heaven, they just have to choose that they want to go there :smile:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/06/17/one-six-young-people-christian-visits-church-buildings-inspire/

For any Christians on here, does this worry you? The fact that so few young people are actually practising Christianity? Or are you fine with it?

To the last paragraph, I certainly hope so. I used to be religious, and I can see the damage it causes.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'd say it's much lower than 20% by the time they get to 25/30.
Original post by desaf1
Many Christians convert to Islam every year.

I think that sort of thing gets balanced out by people leaving, Islam's growth is mostly just babbies in muslim families.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending