The Student Room Group

STD test tomorrow but my period just came...

I have an STD test tomorrow, I've never had one before so I don't know what it involves. It's a general check up for everything. My period just came, would I still be able to have the tests done? I mean what needs to be done to test me? Can they just take some blood/do a throat swab (in which case my period would not be an issue) or will they need to examine me more intimately (in which case it would be an issue)? It's too late to phone up and cancel so I don't know what I should do.
Reply 1
When I booked my check-up, I was told to make sure the booking wasn't for when I was on my period. You might want to go down there on the off-chance that it's fine, but don't be surprised if you're told to book another test.
Maybe you should try ringing up before the appointment and asking?
Reply 3
space hopper
Maybe you should try ringing up before the appointment and asking?

I just tried that and I can't dial the number from my mobile cos it's a free number but not from a mobile so it wouldn't let me through. I was told I should dial the number without the first zero so I did but the call still won't get through and I tried about 20 times, it just keeps terminating...I could call tomorrow morning but my appointment is at 3:30, wouldn't they be annoyed if I called them so soon before the appointment? I'm worried they'll be cross with me...this period is a breakthrough bleed though (I'm on the pill) so it wasn't meant to happen, I'm properly due in two weeks. Grr how annoying...
Reply 4
In most cases it should be ok though less pleasant for the person taking the swabs etc.
Reply 5
randdom
In most cases it should be ok though less pleasant for the person taking the swabs etc.

Really? You sure? I'll check anyway but I'd be relieved if that were true.
phone

If you cant get through phone your GP

If it wont work on your mobile, go to the nearest phonebox, it will there
Reply 7
Anonymous
Really? You sure? I'll check anyway but I'd be relieved if that were true.

I suspect that will be the case as it will just be swabs etc it is definitely worth checking but the tests area still reliable if you are having your period.
I think if its a breakthrough bleed you should just go along. My breakthroughs have only been small and not lasted very long
Reply 9
Thanks for all your help everyone! I just wanted to update you: I went along and everything was fine, the nurse didn't mind I was bleeding cos I had to take the vaginal swab myself anyway. Lol, the only problem was that I fainted when I had the blood test done...
Thank u for sharing because I am in the same predicament myself so might just go along anyway. Thank u.

Quick Reply

Latest