The Student Room Group

my a-level comeback era ✰⋆

hello!

i'm in y13, and i'm mainly creating this because i received very disappointing mock grades and really want to work as hard as possible in the next four months to achieve the best grades possible, hopefully this gyg will help to get me back in shape in terms of my revision ^^

subjects: biology (AQA), chemistry (OCR A), maths (EDEXCEL) & spanish (AQA)
predicted grades: A*A*A*A* (they're very inaccurate but i needed them as high as possible for my ucas)
currently working at: ABBC
minimum i want to achieve: AAAB
my personal goal for a-levels: A*AAA

applying for: medicine - st andrews, exeter, sgul & aston
received and completed 4 interviews, just waiting now!
i'll also try to update this with decisions i get

overall goals for the rest of the academic year:
- achieve at least 3 A's in the summer
- hopefully receive a medicine offer
- be consistent with studying

i moreso created this just as a way to be able to document my studies and to be able to hold myself accountable, but it would be lovely to meet new people on here too (:

anyways, if anyone does stumble across this, any advice with revision or anything else would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
(edited 2 months ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by hpxna
hello!

i'm not entirely sure how gyg's work completely, but i've seen quite a few dotted around and thought it would be a good thing to get involved in

i'm in y13, and i'm mainly creating this because i received very disappointing mock grades and really want to work as hard as possible in the next four months to achieve the best grades possible.

subjects: biology, chemistry, maths & spanish
predicted grades: A*A*A*A* (they're very inaccurate but i needed them as high as possible for my ucas)
minimum i want to achieve in june: AAAB
my goal for a-levels: A*AAA

applying for: medicine

- get at least 3 A's to study medicine
- be consistent with studying and do my best in my exams

i moreso created this just as a way to be able to document my studies and to be able to hold myself accountable, but it would be lovely to meet new people on here too if possible :smile:

(sorry if i'm doing this wrong! as i said, i'm not entirely sure how this forum works lol)

anyways, if anyone does stumble across this, any advice with revision or anything else would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

hiya welcome to grow your grades - it's so cool that you are applying for medicine! i also do spanish - hows that going?

and what type of revision advice do you want? :smile: @hpxna
Reply 2
Original post by emm4nuella
hiya welcome to grow your grades - it's so cool that you are applying for medicine! i also do spanish - hows that going?

and what type of revision advice do you want? :smile: @hpxna

hi, nice to meet u! i really love spanish, i probably enjoy it the most out of all my a-levels but i do find it to be my weakest subject, i'm hovering at around a grade B atm, and i just don't really know how to revise it properly lol.
how do you revise for paper 1? i think i'm okay with paper 3, and paper 2 i know how to tackle i just need more essay practice to be honest, but i always perform the worst in paper 1
Reply 3
Original post by hpxna
hello!

i'm not entirely sure how gyg's work completely, but i've seen quite a few dotted around and thought it would be a good thing to get involved in

i'm in y13, and i'm mainly creating this because i received very disappointing mock grades and really want to work as hard as possible in the next four months to achieve the best grades possible.

subjects: biology, chemistry, maths & spanish
minimum i want to achieve in june: AAAB
my goal for a-levels: A*AAA

applying for: medicine

- get at least 3 A's to study medicine
- be consistent with studying and do my best in my exams

i moreso created this just as a way to be able to document my studies and to be able to hold myself accountable, but it would be lovely to meet new people on here too if possible :smile:

(sorry if i'm doing this wrong! as i said, i'm not entirely sure how this forum works lol)

heyyy
i'm also in year 13 and we take literally the same a levels except i take RS instead of spanish :smile:

i'm also applying to medicine!! except i've haven't had the best news so far, but i'm still staying hopeful
i'm also tryna get my act together after those january mocks loool they were horror, but its all a learning curve, and has just given me more of a reason to start revising now

what sorts of stuff are you planning to do right now? i think my proper revision will start after february half term, only because the new content is coming in HEAVY, and i don't want to stop keeping up with school work just to revise old content because then when i have to revisit all the newer content i'll be clueless. so for now i'm just making sure i'm up to date with current topics, maths needs a bit of tlc so i'm trying to do an exam question a day with my friend and perhaps a past paper a week? for bio chem and rs i want to start typing up flashcards for the new content as i go along because i've pretty much covered all the year12 content in my cards, just to save some time when i want to start actually revising
Reply 4
Original post by s.studies
heyyy
i'm also in year 13 and we take literally the same a levels except i take RS instead of spanish :smile:

i'm also applying to medicine!! except i've haven't had the best news so far, but i'm still staying hopeful
i'm also tryna get my act together after those january mocks loool they were horror, but its all a learning curve, and has just given me more of a reason to start revising now

what sorts of stuff are you planning to do right now? i think my proper revision will start after february half term, only because the new content is coming in HEAVY, and i don't want to stop keeping up with school work just to revise old content because then when i have to revisit all the newer content i'll be clueless. so for now i'm just making sure i'm up to date with current topics, maths needs a bit of tlc so i'm trying to do an exam question a day with my friend and perhaps a past paper a week? for bio chem and rs i want to start typing up flashcards for the new content as i go along because i've pretty much covered all the year12 content in my cards, just to save some time when i want to start actually revising

hey, nice to meet u! :smile:
my jan mocks were acc the same too LOL but ya it's motivated me a lot to start revising a lot

i'm almost finished a-level bio content in class, just a few more lessons for each, and i think i'm close to finishing chem content too? so what i want to do is to make sure i don't have any gaps in my knowledge at all after feb half term and there isn't any topic i don't understand. for bio i've also been making flashcards for new content after each lesson too.
i'm honestly a bit stuck on how to revise for chem, especially organic chem since that's the side of chemistry i'm the worst at. i know i want to memorise the organic synthesis pathways first and all the conditions, then probably all the mechanisms. i'm unsure if i want to make notes for the mechanisms, or use a whiteboard to continuously practise them, or make flashcards, have flashcards for chemistry been useful for you?

i basically just want to finish all my notes & everything, and have a full understanding of everything by the time we come back to school after feb half term so i can start focusing on exam practice, especially for maths imo as that's the subject i think i have the biggest lack of understanding in.

if u don't mind me asking, have u had any med interviews yet? it's cool to meet someone applying too, i just wanted to know how the process if going for u! i wish u the best of luck :smile:
Reply 5
saturday - 03.02.24

i thought it'd be useful to try and make daily to-do lists including revision tasks & homework and post them on here! the past week has been basically me stressing about my mock results, then stressing about uni decisions & not doing any work at all so i want to try and do as much revision as possible to take my mind off of these uni especially.
i've done all my interviews so it's out of my hands now. even though i don't think i've done well enough to get any offers tbh, the best thing i can do is put all my energy into my a-levels so i have the chance of reapplying if i don't get any good news this year.

to-do list:

get up to date w/ bio topic 7 flashcards

make list of maths topics i don't understand - DONE!

make a list of chem topics i don't understand - DONE!

flashcards for chem shapes of molecules

ocho apellidos vascos essay for spanish hw - DONE!

if i finish these i'll maybe add more tasks for today. if i don't finish them then i'll move them onto tomorrow :smile:
(edited 2 months ago)
Original post by hpxna
hi, nice to meet u! i really love spanish, i probably enjoy it the most out of all my a-levels but i do find it to be my weakest subject, i'm hovering at around a grade B atm, and i just don't really know how to revise it properly lol.
how do you revise for paper 1? i think i'm okay with paper 3, and paper 2 i know how to tackle i just need more essay practice to be honest, but i always perform the worst in paper 1

paper 1 is listening reading writing right? (if you do aqa) the only thing you can do is practise with past paper questions! practise practise practise lol! also revise grammar and vocab often because that will really help! i recommend creating a spanishdict account and you can do daily conjugation practises! and then practise vocab often from your textbook by perhaps creating quizlet sets :smile:!

what film and book do you study? perhaps i can give you more personalised advice for this ❤️
heyyy

do you have a grow your grades blog? :smile:
Original post by hpxna
saturday - 03.02.24

i thought it'd be useful to try and make daily to-do lists including revision tasks & homework and post them on here! the past week has been basically me stressing about my mock results, then stressing about uni decisions & not doing any work at all so i want to try and do as much revision as possible to take my mind off of these uni especially.
i've done all my interviews so it's out of my hands now. even though i don't think i've done well enough to get any offers tbh, the best thing i can do is put all my energy into my a-levels so i have the chance of reapplying if i don't get any good news this year.

to-do list:

make list of maths topics i don't understand

make a list of chem topics i don't understand

ocho apellidos vascos essay for spanish hw

if i finish these i'll maybe add more tasks for today. if i don't finish them then i'll move them onto tomorrow :smile:

good luck with your work ❤️ @hpxna :biggrin:
Reply 9
paper 1 is listening reading writing right? (if you do aqa) the only thing you can do is practise with past paper questions! practise practise practise lol! also revise grammar and vocab often because that will really help! i recommend creating a spanishdict account and you can do daily conjugation practises! and then practise vocab often from your textbook by perhaps creating quizlet sets :smile:!

what film and book do you study? perhaps i can give you more personalised advice for this ❤️

yes, i do aqa! thank you, ill look at spanishdict today :smile:
my teachers gave me quizlet sets from each topic, do you think it's more worth it to make my own or would it be fine to continue using those?

my film is 'Ocho apellidos vascos' and my book is 'La Casa de Bernarda Alba' :smile:
Original post by hpxna
yes, i do aqa! thank you, ill look at spanishdict today :smile:
my teachers gave me quizlet sets from each topic, do you think it's more worth it to make my own or would it be fine to continue using those?

my film is 'Ocho apellidos vascos' and my book is 'La Casa de Bernarda Alba' :smile:

you can use the teacher's one, that's okay :smile:

i also study LCDBA - the best you can do is regularly read the play and then make a list of themes and just continue doing essay practise!
Reply 11
you can use the teacher's one, that's okay :smile:

i also study LCDBA - the best you can do is regularly read the play and then make a list of themes and just continue doing essay practise!

alright, thanks! ^^
Reply 12
Original post by hpxna
my jan mocks were acc the same too LOL but ya it's motivated me a lot to start revising a lot

i'm almost finished a-level bio content in class, just a few more lessons for each, and i think i'm close to finishing chem content too? so what i want to do is to make sure i don't have any gaps in my knowledge at all after feb half term and there isn't any topic i don't understand. for bio i've also been making flashcards for new content after each lesson too.
i'm honestly a bit stuck on how to revise for chem, especially organic chem since that's the side of chemistry i'm the worst at. i know i want to memorise the organic synthesis pathways first and all the conditions, then probably all the mechanisms. i'm unsure if i want to make notes for the mechanisms, or use a whiteboard to continuously practise them, or make flashcards, have flashcards for chemistry been useful for you?

i basically just want to finish all my notes & everything, and have a full understanding of everything by the time we come back to school after feb half term so i can start focusing on exam practice, especially for maths imo as that's the subject i think i have the biggest lack of understanding in.

if u don't mind me asking, have u had any med interviews yet? it's cool to meet someone applying too, i just wanted to know how the process if going for u! i wish u the best of luck :smile:

hey!

flashcards for chemistry has worked great for me, it kept me on A*/As all through year 12 and got me an A* predicted for chemistry too

i personally love organic chemistry, especially the year 13 stuff, but i 100% get you on how tricky it is! i do make flashcards on all my topics including organic chemistry, but i'd definitely pair that up with whiteboard drawings (this keeps me engaged especially with different colours lol) and practice questions after you fully understand the concepts so that you aren't just drawing mechanisms based on muscle memory, but so that you can apply it to any question they throw at you.

in terms of medicine interviews i haven't received any, i've actually gotten 2 pre-interview rejections so far lol which really sucks because i can talk about medicine for hours it really is a passion, but i've just not been given the chance to show that in person :/
i am predicted A*A*A*A, and my best 8 GCSEs are Grade 9s, i am little contextual because of some circumstances in Year 12, i have LOADS of experience and i thought that came through in my personal statement, so I suspect it is my UCAT that has highkey ruined my chances of getting in this year
i am currently waitlisted for UoN which is exciting i know its not an interview invitation, but it is something at least; if they don't contact me by may/june time i'll have to assume it's a no
i have heard a lot of people get interviews after being on the waitlist for months, so at least im not completely off the radar!
if my 4th uni rejects me and i don't get this waitlist interview i will apply through clearing, and if that isn't successful i'll take a year out and give it another go next year :smile:
if anyone has any more information on the likelihood of a follow up interview after a medicine waitlisting please let me know!!
Reply 13
do you have a grow your grades blog? :smile:

heyy, i do not! what is a grow you grades blog, i've never heard of it...should i make one?
Reply 14
Original post by hpxna
saturday - 03.02.24

to-do list:

make list of maths topics i don't understand - DONE!

make a list of chem topics i don't understand - DONE!

ocho apellidos vascos essay for spanish hw - DONE!

just to support i'll put up what i did today too, no guarantees i'll update every single day haha just whenever i remember
homework/catch up

i did some catch notes and questions for biology - we are doing patterns of inheritance and manipulating genomes

finished chemistry lattice enthalpy and entropy notes to prep for my open book test on monday - we also got a set of notes on all we need to know so i just read through and highlighted that

entropy Qs (was meant to do this in class lol)

i redid my parametrics notes and Qs from class so this was parametric differentiation and integration - just watched TLMaths for this

mymaths homework

essay plan for RS (catch up from thursday's lesson)

revision

carried on working through my maths past paper

daily maths exam Q (03/02/24)

read through and annotated AO1 and AO2 for two 25marker WAGOLLs for RS, made a rough plan for structure of essay

15mins of animal responses flashcards (just starting off)

15mins of typing up flashcards for most recent RS topic (just starting off)

(please note: i am pretty sure i have a form of adhd, so today was quite hyperfocused for me, tomorrow won't be anywhere near as intense, i don't do this amount everyday 🙂 )
Reply 15
Original post by hpxna

hey!

flashcards for chemistry has worked great for me, it kept me on A*/As all through year 12 and got me an A* predicted for chemistry too

i personally love organic chemistry, especially the year 13 stuff, but i 100% get you on how tricky it is! i do make flashcards on all my topics including organic chemistry, but i'd definitely pair that up with whiteboard drawings (this keeps me engaged especially with different colours lol) and practice questions after you fully understand the concepts so that you aren't just drawing mechanisms based on muscle memory, but so that you can apply it to any question they throw at you.

in terms of medicine interviews i haven't received any, i've actually gotten 2 pre-interview rejections so far lol which really sucks because i can talk about medicine for hours it really is a passion, but i've just not been given the chance to show that in person :/
i am predicted A*A*A*A, and my best 8 GCSEs are Grade 9s, i am little contextual because of some circumstances in Year 12, i have LOADS of experience and i thought that came through in my personal statement, so I suspect it is my UCAT that has highkey ruined my chances of getting in this year
i am currently waitlisted for UoN which is exciting i know its not an interview invitation, but it is something at least; if they don't contact me by may/june time i'll have to assume it's a no
i have heard a lot of people get interviews after being on the waitlist for months, so at least im not completely off the radar!
if my 4th uni rejects me and i don't get this waitlist interview i will apply through clearing, and if that isn't successful i'll take a year out and give it another go next year :smile:
if anyone has any more information on the likelihood of a follow up interview after a medicine waitlisting please let me know!!

thank u sm for the tips!!

sorry to hear you haven’t received any interviews yet ):
I hope you hear good news from your 4th uni/from the waitlist! medicine really is just so competitive, your stats are amazing btw !!
please keep me updated tho, im rooting for you!
heyy, i do not! what is a grow you grades blog, i've never heard of it...should i make one?

yeah you definitely should!! you can read about it here: Grow Your Grades 2023 - 2024! - The Student Room

here's the link to mine if you want to see an example - emmanuella's year 13 gyg: fulfilling my academic potential - The Student Room ❤️
Reply 17
sunday - 04.02.24

i don't really have much planned to do today, hopefully starting tomorrow i'll be more productive but i'm trying to start off with smaller tasks and not overwhelm myself :smile:
i'll update with what i manage to get done later today!

homework:

biology seneca exam questions - done!

spanish topic 3a & 3b fact flashcards - done!

to-do list:

make a general study plan for everyday revision - done!

update bio topic 7 & 8 flashcards - done topic 8, need to finish topic 7

start making chem flashcards for y12 content using ocr spec & textbook - not done

i do also wanna create a study playlist, but idrk what kind of music to add, i've tried listening to classical and jazz before so i might take some inspo from other playlists :]

(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 18
Original post by hpxna
sunday - 04.02.24

i don't really have much planned to do today, hopefully starting tomorrow i'll be more productive but i'm trying to start off with smaller tasks and not overwhelm myself :smile:
i'll update with what i manage to get done later today!

homework:

biology seneca exam questions

spanish topic 3a & 3b fact flashcards

to-do list:

make a general study plan for everyday revision

update bio topic 7 & 8 flashcards

start making chem flashcards for y12 content using ocr spec & textbook

i do also wanna create a study playlist, but idrk what kind of music to add, i've tried listening to classical and jazz before so i might take some inspo from other playlists :]

finished my homework [:
gonna also try to do some conjugation practice on spanishdict today, tried it out yesterday and it was quite useful !
Original post by hpxna
finished my homework [:
gonna also try to do some conjugation practice on spanishdict today, tried it out yesterday and it was quite useful !

great to hear ❤️

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending