The Student Room Group

Big dilema - Please help

Hi guys, I'm sorry if I woffle here its uite a long story but please help!

I have to hand in my college application form by Friday and I'm in trouble. Firstly I went to the opening evening yesterday evening, and in the brand spanking new prosepctus 2 of the subjects I wanted to do (economics and politics) were printed. I had finally made my decision of a levels, so that I have 2 academi subjects if I was to apply for oxbridge but now, they have said that they have cancelled economics because not enough people want to study it and politics was a misprint in the prospectus. How could they make such a huge mistake?! They didn't even acknowledge it on a letter, they only told me when I asked!

So my orginal choices for my subjects were Spanish, Psychology, Law, Economics and Government and politics. So now I am left with Spanish Psychology and Law - only one academic subjects and therefore not a suitable applicant.

I went to see several other departments when I found out. Firstly English but the Literature course seems soooooo borig because they only study victorian and world war 1 poems and novels. I already find English boring but if I had to do it I guess I'd have to stick it for 2 years, but I wouldn't like to dislike every minute of it.

I also looked at history but they only do nazi germany and dictatorship etc, when I was hoping for earlier history such as the tudors, which they do not offer.

I struggle to get A's in my Maths and sciences an find them very stresful, and really don't enjoy them.

Geography, bores me so much. So I don't know what on earth to do because there aren't and academic subjects for me to do, and then I wont be an suitable applicant for oxbridge.

I don't know whether to choose an academic subject which I will hate but it is respected however I probably wont get as good of a grade in. Or do I choose Business or Sociology (my two reserves) with the interest in the subject, but a subject which isn't respected howeer I would probably get a good grade in.

Firstly I am predicted all A's and A*s - that doesn't mean anyhting but might give you an idea of how I'm doing. Secondly at university I wish to study Law and Spanish Law (I know they say you need English, but on the oxford law website (where I would love to go) it doesn't say anything about a level english being a requirement its only GCSE's in english and maths what is needed.

Thanks for reading and if you choose to give me some advice I'm sorry for woffling its the story of my life. I know you cant choose for me but if you could give me a bit of advice because I'm so confused and stressed.

Amelia
xxxx
May I adivse you to take at least two essay-based A levels. Althougth oxbridge may not stipulate this as a requirment, it is more than likely you will be up against candidates who have this two a levels - Law is one of the most competetive degrees and so it would be silly to disadavantage yourself so early on.

May I suggest subjects such as; Religous studies, History, English literature etc. These subjects will teach you skills in essay writting and how to structure good, coherant arguments.

All be it, its down to you, it is your decision ONLY. I didn't particularly like the thought of physics, but I took it - it's now possibly my BEST subject.

Best wishes. Jordan
Reply 2
they wont know if theyll be able to run courses till the summer when everyone has enrolled etc so they might still do economics. and you dont have to make your final decision till the summer anyway
Reply 3
Pollypeptide
May I adivse you to take at least two essay-based A levels. Althougth oxbridge may not stipulate this as a requirment, it is more than likely you will be up against candidates who have this two a levels - Law is one of the most competetive degrees and so it would be silly to disadavantage yourself so early on.

May I suggest subjects such as; Religous studies, History, English literature etc. These subjects will teach you skills in essay writting and how to structure good, coherant arguments.

All be it, its down to you, it is your decision ONLY. I didn't particularly like the thought of physics, but I took it - it's now possibly my BEST subject.

Best wishes. Jordan

Like I said in my long winded story, I don't think I would a) enjoy or b) do well in History or english etc. Religious studies was one of my possibilities but they don't do it in any of the colleges in my county.
if you're not too keen on english or history, you could give philosophy a try.its not the MOST respected subject ever, but it is listed in the Cambridge 'suitable arts' category (have you read about that btw?google Cambridge a-level lists and you'll see what i mean if you don't know what the hel i'm on about :biggrin:)and involves things that will be related to law, and may interest you.But absolutely don't take too many 'soft' options, especially for Cambridge who have a blacklist of subjects they really dont like.
Reply 5
I would contact the school officially about the Economics & Politics situation, because if they haven't said that in writing etc it may not be finalised.

To be honest, you have to compromise somewhere - either taking a respected subject you may not enjoy as much, or a not-so-fantastic subject and not being eligible for Oxbridge.

And your perceptions on a subject can change - GCSE level and A-level are drastically different in many subjects, and you should perhaps give those other subjects that you've written off hastily a chance. Some topics which look a bit boring right now may become really interesting once you start.

For Law, I really would recommend at LEAST two, or three, essay based and respected subjects. That means English Lit, History, Philosophy, Religious Studies (and Politics to a lesser extent) etc. Or have you considered doing another language (if you do another one at GCSE already)?

I wouldn't recommend neither of Business or Sociology.
Reply 6
smileitcouldbeworse
if you're not too keen on english or history, you could give philosophy a try.its not the MOST respected subject ever, but it is listed in the Cambridge 'suitable arts' category (have you read about that btw?google Cambridge a-level lists and you'll see what i mean if you don't know what the hel i'm on about :biggrin:)and involves things that will be related to law, and may interest you.But absolutely don't take too many 'soft' options, especially for Cambridge who have a blacklist of subjects they really dont like.

I do know what you mean, unfortinatley they don't do philosophy.
oh thats a bugger :s-smilie:

'Excalibur' said about compromising, like either taking what you want over what you may need or vice versa. That is totally my concern, but atm the way I'm looking at it is you might as well take what's needed but include at least one you think you'll like, and then you will probably find you enjoy some, if not all of your other subjects.I mean stuff like people and teachers and the actual lesson content do come into it, and you won't know for sure how you feel about a subject til you try it.

If you're not into someething you can always change and also your applications needs to be in by friday, well i don't know about the college you're applying to, but the one i'm applying to gives you around 3 options between now and next sptember to change courses, and you can change courses even once you've started, right?

Definetely continue with Spanish (languages are highly sought after) and psychology and law, and then if you're stuck, put down two more, from English or History, something like that, (i'm presuming you can take 5 and if you're an A/A* peep then you shud b able to cope, if not then just drop one :smile:) andyou'll know for sure whihc one you prefer and just take that one!or keep both.depends if you can take 5, but rlly just remembr yu cn always change ur mind i think

xxx

Latest