The Student Room Group

Cambridge Chemical Engineering Interview

For the Cambridge interview, some colleges do a Natsic/Engineering interview, and then a Chemical Engineering interview. I was wondering what sort of questions they might ask for the Chemical engineering interview, seeing as it is one of those courses that applicants would've had little prior education about.

If any offer holders or current Cambridge students could help, I'd be reaaaally grateful!
need help aswell
Reply 2
ive got an interview via engineering
anyone that has gone through this want to give advice?
xx
Reply 3
Original post by oyele
For the Cambridge interview, some colleges do a Natsic/Engineering interview, and then a Chemical Engineering interview. I was wondering what sort of questions they might ask for the Chemical engineering interview, seeing as it is one of those courses that applicants would've had little prior education about.

If any offer holders or current Cambridge students could help, I'd be reaaaally grateful!

Original post by rexs2000
need help aswell

Original post by ndk123
ive got an interview via engineering
anyone that has gone through this want to give advice?
xx

You can ask an actual AT in his thread here:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=504157
@Doonesbury hope you don't mind me tagging you - received two interview invites for ChemEng via NatSci from Trinity Hall and I'm unsure what to expect from them i.e. one maths based, one chemistry based? I don't know which subjects will be called upon, could you shed any light? :smile: thanks in advance.
Reply 5
Original post by Anon4012
@Doonesbury hope you don't mind me tagging you - received two interview invites for ChemEng via NatSci from Trinity Hall and I'm unsure what to expect from them i.e. one maths based, one chemistry based? I don't know which subjects will be called upon, could you shed any light? :smile: thanks in advance.

Seems like a fair assumption... :smile:
Reply 6
Just looking in to wish folks well - hope you get a lot out of the experience whether successful or not. Son got as far as winter pool last yr for chem eng via NatSci at catz. but didn’t get fished. Really enjoyed the day. I can only speak for his experience so don’t know how representative this is. He spent quite some time looking over his personal statement beforehand so he could expand/justify on it if asked. This was a complete irrelevance as not one second was spent on this. Chemistry only came into the warm up questions, little questions on the periodic table which don’t really matter that much (two students who welcomed us said they messed up their warm up questions spectacularly and still got in). Both interviews were quite mathsy. The best way I can describe it is supercharged learning. In the chem eng interview they took some presumably standard undergrad problem to do with pipes, flow in and out, balancing equations, using calculus, drawing graphs etc. and led him through the problems asking questions to help him think his way through. They had to offer him a short cut at one point where his friend said it could have been solved with bog standard further maths (he only did maths a level and further maths as). This was the only area he thought he could have shone more - perhaps looking ahead at the maths syllabus, as generally with the interviewers help he solved a few problems within the time. It was a really energising experience because you are doing real learning 1 to 1 at your own maximum pace instead of sitting at the back of class writing down notes about what someone else is saying. I guess this is one of the jewels in the crown of the Cambridge experience. I think it is really important to go and have fun - only 1 of 11 applicants got in to Catz but hopefully it was a positive experience for all 11. Good luck!
Original post by David888
Just looking in to wish folks well - hope you get a lot out of the experience whether successful or not. Son got as far as winter pool last yr for chem eng via NatSci at catz. but didn’t get fished. Really enjoyed the day. I can only speak for his experience so don’t know how representative this is. He spent quite some time looking over his personal statement beforehand so he could expand/justify on it if asked. This was a complete irrelevance as not one second was spent on this. Chemistry only came into the warm up questions, little questions on the periodic table which don’t really matter that much (two students who welcomed us said they messed up their warm up questions spectacularly and still got in). Both interviews were quite mathsy. The best way I can describe it is supercharged learning. In the chem eng interview they took some presumably standard undergrad problem to do with pipes, flow in and out, balancing equations, using calculus, drawing graphs etc. and led him through the problems asking questions to help him think his way through. They had to offer him a short cut at one point where his friend said it could have been solved with bog standard further maths (he only did maths a level and further maths as). This was the only area he thought he could have shone more - perhaps looking ahead at the maths syllabus, as generally with the interviewers help he solved a few problems within the time. It was a really energising experience because you are doing real learning 1 to 1 at your own maximum pace instead of sitting at the back of class writing down notes about what someone else is saying. I guess this is one of the jewels in the crown of the Cambridge experience. I think it is really important to go and have fun - only 1 of 11 applicants got in to Catz but hopefully it was a positive experience for all 11. Good luck!

Thank you so so much for this! - I have my interviews at catz on Monday and I will make sure to enjoy them!! :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by revisionboi
Thank you so so much for this! - I have my interviews at catz on Monday and I will make sure to enjoy them!! :smile:

How exciting! Good luck on Monday!
Does anyone know when colleges recieve NSAA results? Im freaking out that they havn't responded yet because of it
Original post by Anonymous #1
Does anyone know when colleges recieve NSAA results? Im freaking out that they havn't responded yet because of it

They were released on the 29th of November you have to log in to see your results they don't send you anything.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending