The Student Room Group

Engineering - Right Choices??

Hello. My first post here... :smile:

I recently completed my GCSEs and have just today finished the enrollment process at my sixth form. At the moment, I am pretty set on eventually doing an Electrical and Electronic Engineering MEng; however, I am concerened that the AS/A levels that I have chosen may prove disadvantageous in allowing me to undertake such a course. I am studying:

- Physics
- Maths
- D&T Systems and Control
- AVCE Performing Arts (possibly double award)

Obviously I am aware that the former two are essential, whilst I have heard the latter two being referred to as 'Mickey Mouse' subjects. My sixth form does not offer Electronics at AS, so I had to settle for Systems and Control which is the closest I could get to it. And Performing Arts is purely for personal enjoyment.

If I managed to get AAAB respectively in these subjects, would they surfice the entry requirements for most Uni's, and more specificly Imperial College London?

Thanks in advance,
Sam
Reply 1
With those A-Levels, and, as you stated, Physics and Maths to a very good standard, there shouldn't be any issue at all. D&T Systems Control might even prove to be useful! (There are many other A-Level subjects that can help since EEE is quite a multi-disciplinary field).

I see no real reason why Imperial would have an issue if you achieved your A's, particularly in the former two. Talk to an admissions secretary there to make sure about this though. Good luck btw, EEE is an excellent choice, the fact I chose it having nothing whatsoever to do with it :biggrin:!

Got through with only Maths and Physics at A grade (and FMaths somewhat less, but they'll teach the maths you need - just need to be flexible there) and am off to do the same thing, you should be fine (if not, then I might have a problem too...) :smile:
Reply 2
It seems to me that the only thing they are really bothered about is maths. G et a good grade in physics and they'll love you, the other subject/subjects don't really matter.(as long as you get decent grades :smile: ).
Reply 3
Thanks guys :biggrin:. Put my mind at rest. I've emailed a couple of admission people anyway, just to see what they say.
Reply 4
More than good enough. Even the cambridge prospectus says, essential: maths and physics, highly desirable: a third maths, science or technology subject.

So I'd say with goos results in those subjects you could apply to any of the best unis. I know it's early to be thinking about uni applications, but you could even link Performing arts to confidence building/public speaking in your personal statement, as communication and giving presentations are becoming increasingly important in business and industry nowadays.

Latest