The Student Room Group
Reply 1
probably fail - we needed 30% in all parts of a module to pass, and 40% overall.

Did you get 45% of the total module (ie 90% in the essay), or 45% in that essay, what i mean is when the total mark is calculated it would be halved to show the value which contributes to the overall module mark.
hand it in
Reply 3
sarah.
for one of my courses we had to write two essays (50%, 50%). I've handed in the first one and I got 45%. If I don't hand in the second one will I fail the course? Or do I still have 45% from 100%?

Well, it's obvious isn't it? 40% for one essay, 0% for the other essay. That's an average of 20%, so a definate fail.
Obviously fail. Are you sure that university is the right place for you?
Reply 5
no hero in her sky
Obviously fail. Are you sure that university is the right place for you?

Exactly.

Why would you even think about not handing in an essay???? I reckon if most people got 45% in an essay that they would want to try and do their best in their next essay.
Reply 6
Miss. B
Exactly.

Why would you even think about not handing in an essay???? I reckon if most people got 45% in an essay that they would want to try and do their best in their next essay.

To be fair, though, maybe the OP was really just unsure as to what the '45%' actually meant (hence her odd mistake in thinking it was "45% from 100%" when it clearly isn't).
Reply 7
hobnob
To be fair, though, maybe the OP was really just unsure as to what the '45%' actually meant (hence her odd mistake in thinking it was "45% from 100%" when it clearly isn't).

Maybe, but why would you want an overall mark of 45% in a modual. Surely you want to do the best you can so you can achieve a great mark at the end.
Reply 8
Some unis don't take the first year into account when calculating the overall degree, so for some people it may be an unecessary strain to work too hard. Also, there could be some mitigating circumstances we don't know about.

But yea, try and get your essay done asap and hand in atleast your attempt.
Reply 9
Dude
Maybe, but why would you want an overall mark of 45% in a modual. Surely you want to do the best you can so you can achieve a great mark at the end.

I just read it as an attempt by the OP to reassure herself that no matter how badly she did on the second essay, she wouldn't actually be able to fail the module (which unfortunately isn't the case). So what she wants isn't the overall mark of 45% for the module, but the certainty that 45% would be the mark she'd get in a worst-case scenario.
Maybe I just misread the initial post, though...:dontknow:
Reply 10
how much is the coursework worth and how much is the exam worth?

If it's only a coursework module you fail.
Reply 11
Robbolo
Some unis don't take the first year into account when calculating the overall degree, so for some people it may be an unecessary strain to work too hard. Also, there could be some mitigating circumstances we don't know about.

But yea, try and get your essay done asap and hand in atleast your attempt.

That is true, although at my uni we have to pass everything to move onto the 2nd year. (and passing means at least 30% in each component of a module, but 40% overall)

If you have mitigating circumstances tell your tutors asap! :smile:
It doesn't matter iirc, if part of the course isn't completed, it ruins everything else.

I thought that all parts of the course need to be at least attempted, regardless of previous grades. If there is a module or examination missing because you didn't attend or didn't do it, then you fail, even if you were to get 100% on everything else.
Uhh hand in the other essay!! Would seem abit silly not to, surely??.............
Reply 14
Hand it in, they will average the 2, I reckon. So if you only get the same mark again you won't fail.

Latest

Trending

Trending