The Student Room Group

Human Rights Abuse in Saudi Arabia

Libya expresses deep concern about the cases of human rights abuse in Saudia Arabia. We hope that this can be resolved in accordance with international human rights standards.

Such cases include:

Rizana Nafeek- a teenager from Sri Lanka who went to work for her family in Saudi. She got a job as a baby sitter and a child died in her care. She was handed over to the police and forced to confess, and has been sentenced to death.

Abdi Hakim Gellani- a British man, he was held with out charge whilst in Saudi giving Umrah tours. He has since been released but is unable to leave the country.

Khaled Hussain Al Bulusy - accused of causing a fatal car accident, which he denies. Has been denied access to a lawyer, his wife has also been denied the right to see her husband despite obtained the required paper work.
Reply 1
Libya has absolutely no standing whatsoever to comment on other country's human rights record.
Reply 2
Liechtenstein agrees that the human rights record in Saudi Arabia is appaling and should be improved, but comments that that of Libya is also below the standards expected by the Human Rights Council.
Reply 3
Hey everyone,

I am a new MUN member and fortunately i represent Saudi Arabia:smile:

Regarding this thread, i would say that, Saudi Arabia is trying to improve its human rights campaign and i guess soon enough people will be able to withstand their arguments soo wait and see, All the citizens will have as much freedom as everyone in other countries do but some restrictions which are imposed atm will be untouched as it is the Islamic country so from the Islamic point of view, some restrictions will be imposed. I'll keep you all updated will all the new issues i can get.

Till then, all i need is encouragement as I have never spoken or discussed on current affairs; But now i have a chance to represent my home which i currently live in.

Take care all

bye

-M$ Ultr@-
Reply 4
The USA wonders why Saudi Arabia was singled out, there are many countries around the world with atrocious human rights records. We personally are appalled by any country who doesn't appreciate the sanctity of a human life.
Reply 5
UnaChance
The USA wonders why Saudi Arabia was singled out, there are many countries around the world with atrocious human rights records. We personally are appalled by any country who doesn't appreciate the sanctity of a human life.

How can a country which has the death penalty, imprisonment without trial with the threat of a military courtmartial for people, a lack of complete suffrage and extraordinary extraditions for torture make a statement like this?
Reply 6
We didn't say we were the high of morals, but you well know that there are many more countries out there with way worse human rights records than ours.
Reply 7
UnaChance
We didn't say we were the high of morals, but you well know that there are many more countries out there with way worse human rights records than ours.

You said you were appaled by any country that did not appreciate the sanctity of human life. Are you appaled by yourself?
Reply 8
Saudi Arabia, with all do respect, suggesting freedom
All the citizens will have as much freedom as everyone in other countries do
do you acknowledge that this if not done in phases could lead to the collapse of the current stable political situation.
Reply 9
Ethereal
Libya has absolutely no standing whatsoever to comment on other country's human rights record.

GOD agrees.

More to the point, Syria agrees.

Latest

Trending

Trending