The Student Room Group

The Persian Society (UKL Iranian Society)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TheTruthTeller
No I don't consider the regime democractic. The Shah himself overthrew democracy. But I can sympathise with him to an extent as he started becoming more cautious/ anti-western as Iran got more powerful as he did not want to be controlled by the people who helped but him into power. Unfortunatley the Shah was not pro-democracy as he was worried about political parties such as Tudeh (communists) gaining power and he was deluded thinking he was some sort of "omnibenevolant" dictator. He was infact very much against democracy. By being so totalitarian it meant he disregarded and underestimated the religious influence of the Shia clergy which partly led to his downfall.

[video="youtube;y51mG8YaRDA"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y51mG8YaRDA[/video]

His father was a great man, Iran required a dictator at his time. However his son, reza shah, had stopped acting in the same manner as his father by removing the ban of not being allowed to wear the veil etc...
You seem to lose focus as to why the Shah did what he did and the plans he had for Iran. You see what Dubai now is? That was planned for Kish time before.
All I'm saying is that the current government decieved and lied to people. Sureeee, that Khomeini would live in a remote area far from political matters...
They even asked Khomeini how he felt on the plane, returning back to his country after such a long time and he replied by saying nothing, I feel nothing. Great leader huh? Moving on, What happened when he came to power? Apart from banning the freedom people had and endless pointless wars such as the Iraq-iran one and political disputes?
At least the shah left himself. The current govt will not leave even if you protest endlessly. They'll just be dead people everywhere

I am not going to comment anymore, as I have mentioned what I think.
I am pro- democracy 100%, but not the one that Iran calls itself. The one that people actually want and the one that leaves if the majority wants it to leave. Tamam.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Kmohazeb
He was loved by many. To be honest, the majority of those that opposed the Shah in 1979 now regret the choice they made. You cannot compare what Iran was to what Iran now is.

By the way: did you know Queen Farah Pahlavi gave birth to reza pahlavi in a very unpopular hospital? Just to show empathy for those that cannot afford to have such privilieges

Loved by who? he was not loved at all. He was a monster and deserved the boot.

You can't blame those supporting the revolution as they needed change and needed hope. there was no alternative present.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Silly_Monkey
I haven't said that the current leaders are amazing and I want to have them around for tea and biscuits and give them an award for tackling corruption.

So what would you say about them then? It's always interesting when someone raves on about how terrible the previous regime was and stays mysteriously quiet about the current one.
Original post by Democracy
So what would you say about them then? It's always interesting when someone raves on about how terrible the previous regime was and stays mysteriously quiet about the current one.

It is always strange to me think there there are only 2 choices, current and previous.

If the previous regime was so popular - why isn't it here today? The average Iranian was disenfranchised, and were subject to cruelty under the previous regime. He was a murderer and frankly corrupt.

I said before that I am not exactly inviting the new regime to tea and biscuits. That enough should let you know how I feel.
It is always strange to me think there there are only 2 choices, current and previous.

That's generally how history works, the present and the past :rolleyes:

I am not asking you if those are the only two options - it should be abundantly obvious that I am opposed to both. I am asking you what you think of the current lot, since you seem so opinionated about the previous regime.

If the previous regime was so popular - why isn't it here today? The average Iranian was disenfranchised, and were subject to cruelty under the previous regime. He was a murderer and frankly corrupt.

I don't disagree with any of this.

I said before that I am not exactly inviting the new regime to tea and biscuits. That enough should let you know how I feel.

It doesn't though. Less soundbites, more substance please. You seem to have no problems at all with calling the Shah a "murderer", a "monster" and "corrupt"...and yet all the Mullahs get from you is a half-arsed comment about tea and biscuits? Why are you being so evasive?

You clearly have no problems with being articulate or forthright, so why don't you put your cards on the table and give us your honest opinion on the current regime? Then we'll know where you stand.
That's generally how history works, the present and the past :rolleyes:

I am not asking you if those are the only two options - it should be abundantly obvious that I am opposed to both. I am asking you what you think of the current lot, since you seem so opinionated about the previous regime.

I don't disagree with any of this.

It doesn't though. Less soundbites, more substance please. You seem to have no problems at all with calling the Shah a "murderer", a "monster" and "corrupt"...and yet all the Mullahs get from you is a half-arsed comment about tea and biscuits? Why are you being so evasive?

You clearly have no problems with being articulate or forthright, so why don't you put your cards on the table and give us your honest opinion on the current regime? Then we'll know where you stand.

Guess what, I am a sucker for their beards. I think they might not like biscuits as it is wee bit westernised. Don't worry, I reckon anyone can fall in love with a bit of Baklava and perhaps some South Asian sweets
Guess what, I am a sucker for their beards. I think they might not like biscuits as it is wee bit westernised. Don't worry, I reckon anyone can fall in love with a bit of Baklava and perhaps some South Asian sweets

And the half-arsed evasiveness continues! Typical Islamist apologist, you have no issue with channeling your anger into slamming the Shah, but you hem and haw like nobody's business when it comes to condemning those fascist Islamists. You don't care about corruption or murder, you just don't like it when your guys aren't the ones doing it.
And the half-arsed evasiveness continues! Typical Islamist apologist, you have no issue with channeling your anger into slamming the Shah, but you hem and haw like nobody's business when it comes to condemning those fascist Islamists. You don't give a **** about corruption or murder, you just don't like it when your guys aren't the ones doing it.

How did you guess?:adore:

So true hahahaaha

but seriously though you need to :doctor:
Please continue being evasive, it really does help hammer home my point :congrats:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Please continue being evasive, it really does help hammer home my point :congrats:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not sure how me telling you that I find their beards are :colondollar: is me being evasive?
Original post by Kmohazeb
I support the previous regime, yes the monarchy. There's no doubt that the previous regime was improving Iran rapidly(both domestically and internationally)whereas the current regime seems to have a huge interest in doing the complete opposite. I'm not sure as if you know why the Shah had to leave, let me make it clear for you. He had no other choice but to leave, this was because he cared for Iran(unlike the leaders now) and therefore had raised the oil price, thus as a consequence America had a huge role in replacing the Shah with religious fundamentalists, which I'm sure they now regret.
Also, One other thing I will never understand is that why would those people that support the government...like YOU leave Iran. Don't you chant "death to America" and detest all countries that as a result support America? Go back to your basijis

You have such a western media view of Iran, as if they all walk around in black chadors and aren't allowed to do anything... uh honey, things HAVE CHANGED! i agree the regime was too strict when it started, but Hassan Rouhani has changed this, women walk about with most of their hair showing, alcohol isn't illegal, women allowed in stadiums, honestly i believe you are building your views of the islamic republic from FOX NEWS (which by the way is a ****ty news channel). I haven't been to iran, so i didn't 'leave'. my dad came here because he was going to go to university in iran but it was shut down because everything was uncertain in the revolution, he was planning to come back after he finished here but he didn't, and he always wishes he had stayed, and i can see why-because firstly Iran is an absolutely beautiful country and the current leaders ARE modernising Iran, and have made many links as possible to other countries despite the inhumane sanctions placed on us by the likes of the UK, America and France, while maintaining the best foreign policy in the world, if you don't agree that Iran has the best foreign policy in the world, then there really is no point even discussing the Iranian government with someone who has such a dumb opinion like yours :smile: And by the way, stop being so disrespectful to the 'basijis'. Most of the population of Iran are Muslim, so that's why it is an Islamic Republic. It would be great if it wasn't because it should be secular, but it's not the worst thing in the world when the nearly all of the population follow the beautiful religion of Islam. Also Iran isn't even that much of an Islamic republic anymore, because many laws based on Islam have been loosened and will continue to do so, trust me!
Original post by arianaleila
You have such a western media view of Iran, as if they all walk around in black chadors and aren't allowed to do anything... uh honey, things HAVE CHANGED! i agree the regime was too strict when it started, but Hassan Rouhani has changed this, women walk about with most of their hair showing, alcohol isn't illegal, women allowed in stadiums, honestly i believe you are building your views of the islamic republic from FOX NEWS (which by the way is a ****ty news channel). I haven't been to iran, so i didn't 'leave'. my dad came here because he was going to go to university in iran but it was shut down because everything was uncertain in the revolution, he was planning to come back after he finished here but he didn't, and he always wishes he had stayed, and i can see why-because firstly Iran is an absolutely beautiful country and the current leaders ARE modernising Iran, and have made many links as possible to other countries despite the inhumane sanctions placed on us by the likes of the UK, America and France, while maintaining the best foreign policy in the world, if you don't agree that Iran has the best foreign policy in the world, then there really is no point even discussing the Iranian government with someone who has such a dumb opinion like yours :smile: And by the way, stop being so disrespectful to the 'basijis'. Most of the population of Iran are Muslim, so that's why it is an Islamic Republic. It would be great if it wasn't because it should be secular, but it's not the worst thing in the world when the nearly all of the population follow the beautiful religion of Islam. Also Iran isn't even that much of an Islamic republic anymore, because many laws based on Islam have been loosened and will continue to do so, trust me!

I'll reply to your daft opinion even-though I said I wont reply. I visit Iran every summer and I know how everything functions over there. ALCOHOL IS ILLEGAL AND SO IS WOMAN ENTERING STADIUMS. why do you think there's so much issues in Iran right now due to the volleyball games..BECAUSE WOMEN ARE NOT ALLOWED to enter. Yes, Iran has changed and Hassan Rouhani has cleared up some small issues within Iran, however Iran is essentially still an Islamic country and people want further change. What is the point of even wearing a hijab when you don't believe in it? why should it be imposed onto you? You yourself have just mentioned that most girls wear their hijab half way, well this shows that they do not want to wear it in the first instance, but they have to as it's AGAINST the law not to.
(edited 8 years ago)

This.

Original post by arianaleila
women walk about with most of their hair showing

Yet there still exist a 'morality police' and women are legally obligated to cover their hair in public. You are using this to defend the current regime? How perverse.

alcohol isn't illegal

Not for religious minorities, but for the majority of Iranians it is.

women allowed in stadiums

Not (completely) true, the rules prohibiting women from sport arenas have only very recently been relaxed (inconspicuously - Iran's laws are perhaps purposely obfuscated), but for the last volleyball game in Tehran (Iran vs USA) only 200 women were let in. So by no means are women 'allowed in stadiums' in any real sense.

the current leaders... have made many links as possible to other countries despite the inhumane sanctions placed on us by the likes of the UK, America and France, while maintaining the best foreign policy in the world

With whom in the developed world does this despotic Islamic regime have good relations with? Russia refused to even provide Iran with air defence systems at the peak of Israeli threats against them, and China and Russia have supported at least some of the sanctions currently placed on Iran.

if you don't agree that Iran has the best foreign policy in the world, then there really is no point even discussing the Iranian government with someone who has such a dumb opinion like yours :smile:

If you disagree with me you are dumb :rolleyes:

And by the way, stop being so disrespectful to the 'basijis'.

Does it hurt your feelings? :lol:

It [Iran] should be secular... nearly all of the population follow the beautiful religion of Islam.

This seems contradictory. If you love Islam so much ought you not to support an Islamic-based system of governance, and not think that Iran "should be secular"?

Also Iran isn't even that much of an Islamic republic anymore

As long as the state mandates what women have to wear in public, restrict what they can do in public (in a discriminatory manner) and have an unelected, murderous 'Supreme' Leader that makes all the decisions, then Iran will continue to be an Islamic Republic for all intents and purposes.
Democracy is not a silver bullet. Many people seem to forget that.
Original post by The Dictator
Democracy is not a silver bullet. Many people seem to forget that.

Go away you racist troll. You don't understand Iran. You are not even Iranian. Go and advocate the bombing of a nation aswell as the establishment of a repressive regime somewhere else.
Can a paki join in this society? :h:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by arfah
Can a paki join in this society? :h:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I kind of have :colonhash:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by binarythoughts
I kind of have :colonhash:

I'm assuming I can then? I'd still like an official consent from a Persian just in case I'm not fully welcome. 😳🙊

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by arfah
I'm assuming I can then? I'd still like an official consent from a Persian just in case I'm not fully welcome. 😳🙊

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yep of course, but try not to use that word, it can make people feel uncomfortable (I know you weren't using it in a racist context, but still).
Yep of course, but try not to use that word, it can make people feel uncomfortable (I know you weren't using it in a racist context, but still).

Oh I stupidly didn't realise it might be offensive. I love you guys💋😘. But okay I won't use that word again. Are you fasting? How's it going if you are:h:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest