The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Really disgusting, truly sad, ashamed of the legal system tbh
Original post by That Bearded Man
And in the mean time (likely years if we shift public attitude towards equal rights for men here, with no sign of public opinions shifting that way at all) we continue this inequality.

My point stands that it wasn't attempted murder, but you shouldn't underplay that he could easily have exsanguinated and died. The idea that stabbing someone should be totally separated from causing a potentially fatal injury is silly.

I guess the only other thing you could have charged her with was "Wounding with intent to do grievous bodily harm", but I have to assume that given her mental state the CPS felt there was little prospect of proving intent beyond reasonable doubt. They were both very lucky that it wasn't more serious, but there doesn't seem to be an appropriate charge for a violent crime that presented a danger to life without any intent to cause grievous harm.
Original post by Saoirse:3
I guess the only other thing you could have charged her with was "Wounding with intent to do grievous bodily harm", but I have to assume that given her mental state the CPS felt there was little prospect of proving intent beyond reasonable doubt. They were both very lucky that it wasn't more serious, but there doesn't seem to be an appropriate charge for a violent crime that presented a danger to life without any intent to cause grievous harm.

How can stabbing someone not be considered as intent to cause bodily harm?
How can stabbing someone not be considered as intent to cause bodily harm?

Bodily harm yes, grevious bodily harm, given her mental state, beyond reasonable doubt may be a different matter. The type and size of the knife in question would also come into it.
I am truly disgusted. I can't even articulate how this makes me feel. When I read the initial article about her back in March, I thought that she would get a prison sentence. To find out that she has been spared it, and her biggest worry is that she can't go clubbing in London just shows that she's a narcissistic psycho. White privilege at its finest.
Reply 45
of course since she's a fairly attractive female they use pictures taken by a photographer in their article, not mugshots. n1. the whole story reeks of sexism and class discrimination.
Don't medical schools have an obligation to only permit medical students who are fit to practice? Oxford should expel this person.
She reminds me of another nutter that I used to work with that graduated from Cambridge.

Borderline psychopathic. Wanted to be a surgeon.
Original post by Technetium
I am truly disgusted. I can't even articulate how this makes me feel. When I read the initial article about her back in March, I thought that she would get a prison sentence. To find out that she has been spared it, and her biggest worry is that she can't go clubbing in London just shows that she's a narcissistic psycho. White privilege at its finest.

supposedly she's trying to steer clear of booze and drugs... so you'd think clubbing in London would be off the agenda anyway :unsure:
Reply 49
shes hot and upper class therefore she walked free

same happened with the girl who stole from harrods a few months ago

if you're relatively hot and upper class, you can literally get away with anything
Original post by 06moca1
Don't medical schools have an obligation to only permit medical students who are fit to practice? Oxford should expel this person.

They still might. Or the GMC might remove her registration - that's all still to come. They'll certainly do something.

Or it looks like she will drop out anyway as the profile of this case has made her infamous around the university and hospital.

So you will probably get your way one way or another.
it seems to be one rule for some and another rule for others smh
He'd be serving 25 - life for attempted murder.

For a first offence? Doubtful.
Original post by Cecily Nevyll
Eugh horrible lady. Come on feminists, where are you now huh???? Shouldn't you be screeching like harpies about how she should get the same sentence as a man because the genders are equal????? But no, these fat, blue haired feminists who don't shave their armpits only want equality when it suits them; when the women get the better deal things are fine as they are. In those cases the feminists are as quiet as a mouse and are deep inside the woodwork.

Do you really think feminism is about pressing for women to be sent to prison? Given how little it does anything useful for male offenders, that hardly seems like a good political position.

I think we're beginning to see in the thread that this isn't about privilege, but another chance for woman hate.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
Do you really think feminism is about pressing for women to be sent to prison? Given how little it does anything useful for male offenders, that hardly seems like a good political position.

I think we're beginning to see in the thread that this isn't about privilege, but another chance for woman hate.

That's odd, the outrage to Brock Turners trial then clearly wasnt about privilege, justice or lack thereof, just an opportunity to hate men

A lot of commentators have picked up that we cannot be serious about domestic violence if we ignore this aspect of the case. The victim has been ignored in all this.
Original post by nulli tertius
A lot of commentators have picked up that we cannot be serious about domestic violence if we ignore this aspect of the case. The victim has been ignored in all this.

Are you saying the judge ignored that?

I thought it was the case that it was a bread knife and he had only superficial wounds by the way and it was a casual tinder encounter, so it doesn't sound like the classic domestic abuse driven to extremes scenario, more like what it is, a case of drug abuse and nutty behaviour by someone who should know better.
Are you saying the judge ignored that?

I thought it was the case that it was a bread knife and he had only superficial wounds by the way and it was a casual tinder encounter, so it doesn't sound like the classic domestic abuse driven to extremes scenario, more like what it is, a case of drug abuse and nutty behaviour by someone who should know better.

"nutty behaviour?"
The laws don't apply if you're an attractive woman, it seems.
"nutty behaviour?"

Using the bread knife is hardly the crazed machete wielding maniac portrayed in the tabloids.

This story serves several purposes for right wing media. Firstly, direct attacks against a supposed elite, but a defenceless part of that elite, a young woman, whilst handily ignoring that most of the same media are run and controlled by the same elite. A useful distraction in public hate and easy prey. Secondly, direct hate against women to serve the wholly false right wing agenda that women have too much or are being treated too well.

Latest

Trending

Trending