Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Green_girl
I c that Notts is significant leader among those who replied:wink:

This is in the Nottingham forum, post the same thread in the RHUL forum and it'll be the other way around.
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Reply 21
il probably go around feburary...not sure of the exact date. but perhaps the 27th!!
i should get your name. so when i'm there i'd prolly holla...1
Reply 22
I'm a first year Economics student at Nottingham and Royal Holloway was one of the other Universities I applied to. Making my mind up between going to study at Nottingham or Royal Holloway was easy - Nottingham is much better ranked than Royal Holloway and it's a much better University when you just compare theire respective Economics course. I went to both open days and even though I thought that Royal Holloway would be a very nice place to study as the main building there looks just phenomenal, I still didn't want to study there since the immediate area around the University was barren. There were no big towns around and it would take a long journey to get into Central London. With Nottingham, I thought the campus was really nice and there was a major city very close to the actual campus. Also, as it's so close to Nottingham itself, there is so much choice in clubs, bars, etc. - A much wider choice than in Royal Holloway, where you would have a very long journey to get into London and it would be much more expensive as well.

To summarise, even though Royal Holloway would be a nice place to study, Nottingham beats it in every department.
Reply 23
thank you!!
well said. the way you've put it makes even more re-assured in putting Nottz down as ma first choice!
whereelse did you apply to btw??

and are you on BSC OR BA? hows the maths content?? is the course really flexible in terms of options from other departments and from economics itself??
i didnt have maths at AS or A-level and still got in. just wondering if you feel it would be a very difficult adjustment for me to make....???
Reply 24
geoff do you know if notts eco is on ib milkround?
I visited both and chose Nottingham because while Founders Building at RH is lovely, the rest of it isn't so nice ,and it's in the middle of nowhere!
Reply 26
Jibzy
thank you!!
well said. the way you've put it makes even more re-assured in putting Nottz down as ma first choice!
whereelse did you apply to btw??

and are you on BSC OR BA? hows the maths content?? is the course really flexible in terms of options from other departments and from economics itself??
i didnt have maths at AS or A-level and still got in. just wondering if you feel it would be a very difficult adjustment for me to make....???

I also applied to LSE, UCL, Warwick and Bristol. I got offers from Warwick and Bristol, but LSE and UCL didn't even consider me...

Everyone doing Economics in their first year will be on BA - the modules you choose in the second year with determine whether you'll be able to graduate with a BSc, but to be honest, employers really don't care if you have a BSc. BA is just fine and as long as you have some sort of Economics degree, they'll be happy.

I'm doing the harder of the maths modules at the moment and some parts are quite tricky - I'll have to read through the textbook carefully to fully understand some concepts. But since you don't have Maths at A-Level, you'll have to take the easier maths module (Quantitative Economics instead of Mathematical Economics) and from what I've heard from people doing the module, the easier maths module is ridiculously easy, even for people with no Maths A-Level!

The course is very flexible - there's plenty of choice within the Economics school itself and you can choose from a wide variety of modules from other schools as well, such as languages, politics, etc.
Reply 27
v2006
geoff do you know if notts eco is on ib milkround?

Sorry, I have no idea what an ib milkround is...
Reply 28
thanks man. really helpful. yup. im gona be going for quantitative econs lol.

o wow u turned down warwick? nottingham most be really hot with employers then? lol i'v always wondered if a Nottingham economics graduate is on par with a warwick graduate when it comes to employability?? it should be down to the personality of the individual, shouldnt it?, given as they are so close in terms of reputation?

im pleased u'v cleared up this bsc/ba issue. prior to, i was scared that employers only look favourably on BSC! bt it's all gd, now i know. and besides i wana do developement work in terms of the world bank when i graduate. so im guessing BA is even more relevant?

geoff_yin
I also applied to LSE, UCL, Warwick and Bristol. I got offers from Warwick and Bristol, but LSE and UCL didn't even consider me...

Everyone doing Economics in their first year will be on BA - the modules you choose in the second year with determine whether you'll be able to graduate with a BSc, but to be honest, employers really don't care if you have a BSc. BA is just fine and as long as you have some sort of Economics degree, they'll be happy.

I'm doing the harder of the maths modules at the moment and some parts are quite tricky - I'll have to read through the textbook carefully to fully understand some concepts. But since you don't have Maths at A-Level, you'll have to take the easier maths module (Quantitative Economics instead of Mathematical Economics) and from what I've heard from people doing the module, the easier maths module is ridiculously easy, even for people with no Maths A-Level!

The course is very flexible - there's plenty of choice within the Economics school itself and you can choose from a wide variety of modules from other schools as well, such as languages, politics, etc.
Reply 29
Warwick is probably slightly better when it comes to which one employers would prefer since it's ranked like one hight than Nottingham in terms of Economics, but I really didn't like the campus of Warwick. It's too much in it's own bubble and there aren't any nice cities close by (Coventry does not count as a nice city...). But still, it's true that it'll mostly come down to the individual themselves when employers have to choose between a Nottingham graduate or a Warwick graduate.

I have no idea if BA is more relevent than BSc in terms of development work, but yeah, there really isn't much difference in which type of degree you achieve.
Reply 30
thanks!. yeah i hear COVENTRYuni..ehem..i mean warwick lol. is pretty boring...lol
ows bristol though?
Reply 31
Jibzy
thanks!. yeah i hear COVENTRYuni..ehem..i mean warwick lol. is pretty boring...lol
ows bristol though?

You are only a 20 minute journey to Brum I think. The nightlife and shopping in Brum is excellent.
Reply 32
Jibzy
ows bristol though?

Bristol is great. I actually studied there for a year. The city is incredible although I was not a fan of all the steep hills in every direction you walk! I made great friends there, I just didn't like my course. I chose Nottingham over Bristol only because I wanted a clean slate and so that I could start afresh. But Bristol is a great place to study.
Reply 33
oh. what course is that?
Reply 34
jkyng1
oh. what course is that?

Mechanical Engineering
Reply 35
Do you find eco a lot easier than engineering?
Reply 36
oh cool! i think they are different in terms of difficulty? so can anyone tell me what is good about nottingham....coz it is going to be my first choice unless i hear from warwick..which i will have to think about!
Reply 37
I wouldn't say I'm finding it a lot easier than engineering, but the workload is less I guess and there are fewer modules to take. But still, you still have to work hard studying Economics. I'm definitely finding it much more interesting than Mechanical Engineering though.

What's good about Notts? Most things. Great city, great campus, good accommodation, great nightlife, many clubs and societies to join, plenty of people you'll make good friends with, etc, etc.
Reply 38
lol. are there loads of chinese?
Reply 39
y....dont u wana mix?

Latest

Trending

Trending