The Student Room Group

Can i get into any uni

if I did an a level last year (sat it early) and got an A (in my home language) and I'm planning on getting 2 As this year, is there any university for any degree that will accept this since its not in one sitting?? I didn't realise there was such a thing as one sitting so now I'm screwed

Scroll to see replies

Not too late to start another A-Level if you have a good work ethic?
Reply 2
Original post by S.H.Rahman
Not too late to start another A-Level if you have a good work ethic?

it is because I really need to focus on both bio and chemistry, since they're very demanding subjects. do you know whether every uni requires them to be in one sitting
Your application is weaker than others because one A level was taken early. If your first language is English it wouldn't matter that your third A level is in the language of your original home country. If however it's your first language then that would also weaken your application. However there are plenty of universities and courses that would be interested in an application from you.
Original post by feiow
it is because I really need to focus on both bio and chemistry, since they're very demanding subjects. do you know whether every uni requires them to be in one sitting

Plenty of other students do bio, chem and a third a level.
'one sitting' - 3 A levels done over two years without resitting A2 exams. Are you completing your A-Level in the course this academic year?
Reply 6
Original post by feiow

If you can't cope with more than two A Levels at once how are you going to cope with a degree?
Reply 7
Original post by gdunne42
Your application is weaker than others because one A level was taken early. If your first language is English it wouldn't matter that your third A level is in the language of your original home country. If however it's your first language then that would also weaken your application. However there are plenty of universities and courses that would be interested in an application from you.

really? could you please tell me which ones.
Reply 8
Original post by alow
If you can't cope with more than two A Levels at once how are you going to cope with a degree?

obviously I can, theres so much more to it but I didn't want to bore everyone on here. I was doing 5 subjects last year and it was way too much and it didn't allow me to focus on any of my a levels, I have now moved schools and this school has told me that having received the grade that I did in my home language I only need 2 other a levels, so I dropped the others and now I'm finding out that I might have made a massive mistake. doing 2 a levels has massively helped me though, to catch up on all the work I didn't focus on last year. if you have done 5 a levels then you know there are no free periods or anything and u have to spread ur time between 5 subject which is a challenge, hence this year I want as much time as I can get on bio and chemistry, for which subjects I am very passionate about
Original post by feiow
really? could you please tell me which ones.

Almost all of them. Think about what you want to study, check entry requirements via UCAS or from specific uni web sites and email them if you want them to clarify their position on your qualifications.
Reply 10
Original post by S.H.Rahman
'one sitting' - 3 A levels done over two years without resitting A2 exams. Are you completing your A-Level in the course this academic year?

basically, so Im doing bio and chemistry this academic year and obviously its a 2 year course so I started them in yr 12 and I am finishing them in y13 (this year)

my home language a level was a 2 year course too, since I did it a year early, I started it in year 11 and finished last year, yr 12

I thought that doing it a year early would be beneficial to my application, if I had known any of this I obviously wouldve done it this year that wouldn't have been a problem to me
There's been a thread already posted with answers to this question. In short most top universities would like that but there are lots of uni's that don't mind.

Thread:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2495548
Ask Uni whether or not they take native language as one of your Alevel option. I know Lancaster does so as Sheffield as I have emailed the admission but I have 4 alevels in total..

What's the logic behind "Your application is weaker than others because one A level was taken early?" This makes me really anxious, as I did both my Alevel math and fm early (this summer and this autumn). I thought this might demenstrate my ability.......
Original post by feiow
if I did an a level last year (sat it early) and got an A (in my home language) and I'm planning on getting 2 As this year, is there any university for any degree that will accept this since its not in one sitting?? I didn't realise there was such a thing as one sitting so now I'm screwed

As someone vaguely touched on above - Many universities will not accept an A-Level in your native language as part of their offer.

So, you’ve got the issue both of that, and the lack of one sitting.

I’d recommend picking up a third A-Level alongside the two you’re doing this year.
Original post by southpacific
What's the logic behind "Your application is weaker than others because one A level was taken early?" This makes me really anxious, as I did both my Alevel math and fm early (this summer and this autumn). I thought this might demenstrate my ability.......

It seems a common opinion that taking an A level early shows that you have high ability and did things much younger than other candidates BUT.......... If you then only offer 2 A levels taken in a later series it could be interpreted that you can't cope studying and succeeding with the demands of 3 simultaneous A levels and that might indicate you'd struggle with the workload of university. It's definitely something to avoid if, for example, someone intended to study medicine. It's not the end of the world, it will not matter to many universities and does not mean chances of university are doomed but early A levels don't generally strengthen an application.
It seems a common opinion that taking an A level early shows that you have high ability and did things much younger than other candidates BUT.......... If you then only offer 2 A levels taken in a later series it could be interpreted that you can't cope studying and succeeding with the demands of 3 simultaneous A levels and that might indicate you'd struggle with the workload of university. It's definitely something to avoid if, for example, someone intended to study medicine. It's not the end of the world, it will not matter to many universities and does not mean chances of university are doomed but early A levels don't generally strengthen an application.

Thx! I still have another 3 alevels for next summer (Physics, Chem, Eco) and I might be all right if taking 3 alevels in a row is the average.
Reply 17
Thx! I still have another 3 alevels for next summer (Physics, Chem, Eco) and I might be all right if taking 3 alevels in a row is the average.

In which case your circumstances are quite different to the OP :wink:
I thought it was accumulative?

My first year of college I was going to do 5 but then for a couple of reasons I wound up only doing 3, second year I didn't get the grade I needed to continue with one of them so I finished the other 2 A Levels and picked up a third AS course, and this year (3rd year) I'm finishing the new course and have picked up 2 AS to pad my timetable.

When I went to put it on UCAS I could put the completed A Levels as completed with definite marks and the ongoing one as pending, so long as I put the date of the qualification received down, and unis see it as 3 A Levels and 2 AS Levels, even though some of them were started 2 years apart.
Reply 19

yeah, thats what I thought too, maybe it'll be different, but for you, but what I have now found out is that if all 3 a levels are not taken in one sitting in a 2 year period, they don't count. it can be used as an "additional" a level but not one of the 3 that make ur offer. but if u started maths and fm last in yr12 and finished in yr12 then thats fine, but if u started them early, u might be in the same position as me

Quick Reply

Latest