The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
mrmarsupial
I am certain 500% on what subject I wanna do so that gives me a few choices to throw around so I am gonna apply to cambridge lol.

When I gotta get my form of for them and what AS grades u need for them to even LOOK at your application lol AAAA?

What subject do you want to do?

I'm sure they will consider you if you got good but not AAAA at AS, just write a good personal statement.
Reply 2
mrmarsupial
I am certain 500% on what subject I wanna do so that gives me a few choices to throw around so I am gonna apply to cambridge lol.

When I gotta get my form of for them and what AS grades u need for them to even LOOK at your application lol AAAA?

You don't apply there for a laugh - it's just not done. Do you really want to go for an interview you're not bothered about? It's quite a hassle. What would happen if you got in (VERY hypothetically) - would you decline the offer? It's a waste of a choice at best.

Ben
Ben.S.
You don't apply there for a laugh - it's just not done. Do you really want to go for an interview you're not bothered about? It's quite a hassle. What would happen if you got in (VERY hypothetically) - would you decline the offer? It's a waste of a choice at best.

Ben

Actually it's a great idea. Two mates in my year who got BBCU and BCDE at AS applied to Cambridge solely for a laugh. With their AS Levels declared on their UCAS form, they still got offers from Cambridge, and enjoyed a nice weekend down there, dining in hall with Tory snobs and the likes!
Reply 4
Unregistered
Actually it's a great idea. Two mates in my year who got BBCU and BCDE at AS applied to Cambridge solely for a laugh. With their AS Levels declared on their UCAS form, they still got offers from Cambridge, and enjoyed a nice weekend down there, dining in hall with Tory snobs and the likes!

Did they accept their offers?

Ben
Reply 5
Unregistered

lol free b&b good idea
Reply 6
Unregistered

But if you know you won't get an offer then you have wasted an application. If you got BBBB I can understand applying, but with BBCU then that is one less realistic university you can apply to.

I think university application is too serious to 'have a laugh' about.
Reply 7
Lord Huntroyde
But if you know you won't get an offer then you have wasted an application. If you got BBBB I can understand applying, but with BBCU then that is one less realistic university you can apply to.

I think university application is too serious to 'have a laugh' about.

Sorry to turn this post a bit serious :wink: but do the other Uni's on the form see the others Uni's you have applied to???

By this I mean if I applied to Manchester would they know that I had also applied to Bath for example??

What grades are you supposed to be getting to apply to Cambridge anyway???
Reply 8
you get 6 places to choose from, so it is only one place less.

Adam
i get the impression from ppl i know that people apply to see if they are "good enough", as a sort of test. then again, not everyone who applies has a burning ambition to get in. The best is perhaps to want to go, but not to feel you must. whatever you've got to want to, surely if you are considering it there's something about it which inspires you in some way.

if you apply and are not 100% that's no prob, it's easy to just scribble your way through the essays, exams and get through the interview, you might even get an offer. but when it comes to the exams, are you going to be prepared to put in the extra work to try and get there, knowing you could be somewhere else without having to work so hard?
Reply 10
Leekey
Sorry to turn this post a bit serious :wink: but do the other Uni's on the form see the others Uni's you have applied to???

I thought everyone knew by now - NO!!! They used to - but that gave rise to the problems you are probably worried about.

Ben
Reply 11
Leekey

By this I mean if I applied to Manchester would they know that I had also applied to Bath for example??

What grades are you supposed to be getting to apply to Cambridge anyway???

No, the unis only know that you have applied to them, they do not know if they are the best uni you applied to or the worst. They will not know the other unis you have applied too.
Reply 12
Ben.S.
I thought everyone knew by now - NO!!! They used to - but that gave rise to the problems you are probably worried about.

Ben

Thank God!!!

I would have hated to have thought that I could have applied and been rejected because according to the ratings the Uni isnt my "first choice". This was particularly worrying for me because the highest ranking Uni Im applying to isnt actually my first choice!!!

Thanks for the info!!!
Reply 13
mrmarsupial

Nope, I got AAB at AS and still got interviewed (I did 3 subjects out of choice).
Reply 14
edders
lol free b&b good idea

did you do OCR Psychology?
Reply 15
mjf
did you do OCR Psychology?

AQA
Leekey
I would have hated to have thought that I could have applied and been rejected because according to the ratings the Uni isnt my "first choice". This was particularly worrying for me because the highest ranking Uni Im applying to isnt actually my first choice!!
The application system used to disclose all 6 choices in every UCAS application to universities in the past.

All post 2002 entry UCAS applicants have the privilege of having "blind" applications to the universities - i.e. they do not and cannot know what other universities and courses you have applied for except ones to their own.

In fact, our year, the 2003 entry applicants were the first ones to use this new "blind" application system. I personally think it's advantageous for the applicant as the admission tutors will never know what other universities you have applied to and cannot give offers accordingly. Say for example, in the past, if universities knew you applied to top universities, the admission tutors will give or not give offers accordingly as they are familiar with typical offer grades/points the others are likely to give. This is important for the admission tutors as they would never be willing to waste an offer given to an applicant whom they reckon would be likely to reject it after being given it for another university's offer.

In short, apply to whichever university you want to get in to, though I would highly suggest that you stick to one course. Even though the system is now in the form of "blind" applications, your personal statement will clearly reflect what courses you will be interested in doing, because ultimately you will have to write about each course and as a result it will show badly if in fact you have not really made up your mind, consequently lowering your chances of getting an offer. So basically, if you apply to a safety school, i.e. highest chances of getting an offer from, choose the same course even if it is relatively harder compared with other less competitve courses.

Good luck in your application this year.
Reply 17
Chemical Engineering, and I would reject them muwhhaha I dont wanna go to cambridge no chance in hell. But wanna see if I get past the first hurdle in the system lol
Reply 18
mrmarsupial
Chemical Engineering, and I would reject them muwhhaha I dont wanna go to cambridge no chance in hell. But wanna see if I get past the first hurdle in the system lol

They stive to interview practically all that apply - so don't be so happy when they invite you for interview, it's merely a formality.

Ben
Reply 19
Vin
The application system used to disclose all 6 choices in every UCAS application to universities in the past.

All post 2002 entry UCAS applicants have the privilege of having "blind" applications to the universities - i.e. they do not and cannot know what other universities and courses you have applied for except ones to their own.

In fact, our year, the 2003 entry applicants were the first ones to use this new "blind" application system. I personally think it's advantageous for the applicant as the admission tutors will never know what other universities you have applied to and cannot give offers accordingly. Say for example, in the past, if universities knew you applied to top universities, the admission tutors will give or not give offers accordingly as they are familiar with typical offer grades/points the others are likely to give. This is important for the admission tutors as they would never be willing to waste an offer given to an applicant whom they reckon would be likely to reject it after being given it for another university's offer.

In short, apply to whichever university you want to get in to, though I would highly suggest that you stick to one course. Even though the system is now in the form of "blind" applications, your personal statement will clearly reflect what courses you will be interested in doing, because ultimately you will have to write about each course and as a result it will show badly if in fact you have not really made up your mind, consequently lowering your chances of getting an offer. So basically, if you apply to a safety school, i.e. highest chances of getting an offer from, choose the same course even if it is relatively harder compared with other less competitve courses.

Good luck in your application this year.

Thankyou for that, it was most informative and the advice on my personal statement was greatly appreciated. I am focusing on one course on my application so hopefully all the Uni's I apply to will see how much I want to do it.

Latest

Trending

Trending