The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Ben.S.
You don't apply there for a laugh - it's just not done. Do you really want to go for an interview you're not bothered about? It's quite a hassle. What would happen if you got in (VERY hypothetically) - would you decline the offer? It's a waste of a choice at best.

Ben

I was going to apply there for a laugh as I had two spare choices, but the whole effort thing got the better of me. It would have been quite fun to say i'd turned down a place at Cambridge though!
Ben.S.
I thought everyone knew by now - NO!!! They used to - but that gave rise to the problems you are probably worried about.

Ben

I think this came up on another thread and someone said that tthey now your UCAS number so they could look up your application online, thus finding out your other choices!!! Dont know if thats true or not.
Reply 22
Unregistered
I think this came up on another thread and someone said that tthey now your UCAS number so they could look up your application online, thus finding out your other choices!!! Dont know if thats true or not.

NOT TRUE!!! When you go online you not only need your UCAS number but you get a password as well, which only you (and UCAS) know so there is no way a Uni will be able to find out where else you have applied (unless you tell them of course...)
Unregistered
I think this came up on another thread and someone said that they know your UCAS number so they could look up your application online, thus finding out your other choices!!! Dont know if thats true or not.

Absolutely no truth in this.

Yes they know your Application Number, but they don't know your Online Enquiry Password, which is something known only by yourself and UCAS.
Reply 24
Unregistered

That would be really sneaky!
Reply 25
Even if they could, I sincerely doubt that they'd play the spy game and go rummaging online cheekily. They're busier and maturer than that :smile:
another reason not to bother to apply to oxbridge if youre not really bothered - your application form has to go in earlier, by several weeks.
Adhsur
Even if they could, I sincerely doubt that they'd play the spy game and go rummaging online cheekily. They're busier and maturer than that :smile:

Im not so sure about that. They wouldnt even have to look everyone up, just make a shortlist and look up those. I think Oxbridge especially might be tempted :smile: !!!!
I'm sure the idea of applying to Cambridge for a laugh is appealing now, but believe me - even if you're not taking it seriously, the whole process is a real pain. Don't think you will be turned down flat without interview - they interview most applicants and from then on you would be in hot water. Why go and be critically assessed by highly academic people if you are not confident in your own abilities? I saw a student with 6 A grades leave an interview in tears. If you think you can manage it, why not take it seriously? I think if you really have a spare place and want to try out the Cambridge experience, do, but take it a little seriously. Otherwise it might just be a big confidence wrecking excersise. With b&b of course. :wink:
Reply 29
Haz
I'm sure the idea of applying to Cambridge for a laugh is appealing now, but believe me - even if you're not taking it seriously, the whole process is a real pain. Don't think you will be turned down flat without interview - they interview most applicants and from then on you would be in hot water. Why go and be critically assessed by highly academic people if you are not confident in your own abilities? I saw a student with 6 A grades leave an interview in tears. If you think you can manage it, why not take it seriously? I think if you really have a spare place and want to try out the Cambridge experience, do, but take it a little seriously. Otherwise it might just be a big confidence wrecking excersise. With b&b of course. :wink:

I think I was lucky with my interview at Trin. as the professors were very nice and made me feel at ease. I've heard some terrible stories about their frustration being released at the expense of a candidates pride.
Reply 30
Bigcnee
I think I was lucky with my interview at Trin. as the professors were very nice and made me feel at ease. I've heard some terrible stories about their frustration being released at the expense of a candidates pride.

the ppl who interviewed me at oxford for ppe were nice too:
philosophy: friendly young chap in 20s... very polite and mild mannered
politics: serious but still he seemed cool, wore a cool blue waistcoat lol
economics: middle aged bloke, had a nice relaxed convo. seemed like the kind you'd meet in a pub playing darts with a pint of bitter lol

but saying that i was rejected so maybe they just went easy on me heh. apparently their questioning was more fierce for the candidates they were considering accepting.
edders
the ppl who interviewed me at oxford for ppe were nice too:
philosophy: friendly young chap in 20s... very polite and mild mannered
politics: serious but still he seemed cool, wore a cool blue waistcoat lol
economics: middle aged bloke, had a nice relaxed convo. seemed like the kind you'd meet in a pub playing darts with a pint of bitter lol

but saying that i was rejected so maybe they just went easy on me heh. apparently their questioning was more fierce for the candidates they were considering accepting.

I think that's true - the girl who came out sobbing probably got in! They did give me a fairly hard time, but it was always friendly. I did get in so maybe you're right - an easy ride is bad news!
Reply 32
Unregistered
another reason not to bother to apply to oxbridge if youre not really bothered - your application form has to go in earlier, by several weeks.

That is a reason for applying to Oxbridge - universities start filling places as soon as they get forms from good candidates. The earlier you get your form in the better, so try and meet the Oxbridge deadline, even if you're not appling there.
Reply 33
Yep, I definetly had experience with that. I got an offer from Birmingham in about November :smile:.
Strange nobody’s mentioned this, but even if you can be bothered to do all the extra admissions stuff just for a laugh, it’s not as if applying to Cambridge isn’t already competitive enough - you’ll be making it harder for candidates who seriously want to go there. If you actually receive an offer, knowing from the start you’ll refuse, all you’ve done is taken away an offer for someone who may have had his or her heart set on going there. So there’s extra space on your UCAS form use it for a course you’re interested in! Or don’t use it at all! Is it really worth all the hassle of having to apply earlier and go through interviews, to waste other people’s time and possibly places at university, simply for a laugh?
Reply 35
Unregistered
Strange nobody’s mentioned this, but even if you can be bothered to do all the extra admissions stuff just for a laugh, it’s not as if applying to Cambridge isn’t already competitive enough - you’ll be making it harder for candidates who seriously want to go there. If you actually receive an offer, knowing from the start you’ll refuse, all you’ve done is taken away an offer for someone who may have had his or her heart set on going there. So there’s extra space on your UCAS form use it for a course you’re interested in! Or don’t use it at all! Is it really worth all the hassle of having to apply earlier and go through interviews, to waste other people’s time and possibly places at university, simply for a laugh?

I don't know about Cambrige but this dosn't happen at Oxford - when you are made an offer by Oxford it's not made offical by UCAS. After getting the offer you're given around 20 days to decide if you want to go. if you decine you never get the offical UCAS offer. In this case the offer goes to someone else on a waiting list, so if you get an offer and decline it - no ones lost out on a place.

I would encourage people to apply for Oxbridge - not if you dont want to go - but if you think you might like to go but don't think your good enough then do apply, you might just get in.
Reply 36
loftx
That is a reason for applying to Oxbridge - universities start filling places as soon as they get forms from good candidates. The earlier you get your form in the better, so try and meet the Oxbridge deadline, even if you're not appling there.

Thats true - by the time I went back to school in September I had made my choices and wriiten a first draft of my personal statement. I applied before the Oxbridge deadline, and started getting offers from mid October. All of the interviews/post application days I went to were before Christmas. It is better to get them in early, because admissions tutors won't hve as much to get through so will spend more time looking at your form, and will generally be in a better mood to say yes to you!!
anyone applying to Oxbridge just for kicks are just wasting everyone's time.

They'll probably interview you, because to make the admissions process as fair as possible, they'll interview people with a certain minimum number of GCSEs. If they get time-wasters like you applying, wasting interviewer's time and college's money, then they might have to rethink that and start making harsher rules, which will affect other real applicants. Also if you go into an interview and blantantly waste the interviewer's time, then they'll be pissed off and it'll probably affect the way they administer the interviews after you, which again will affect real applicants.
If you're just there to waste time, then 1) I hope your school/college stop you 2) you fking grow up because you won't get into an uni - and yes other unis can see where you've applied to.
Reply 38
DanMushMan
anyone applying to Oxbridge just for kicks are just wasting everyone's time.

They'll probably interview you, because to make the admissions process as fair as possible, they'll interview people with a certain minimum number of GCSEs. If they get time-wasters like you applying, wasting interviewer's time and college's money, then they might have to rethink that and start making harsher rules, which will affect other real applicants. Also if you go into an interview and blantantly waste the interviewer's time, then they'll be pissed off and it'll probably affect the way they administer the interviews after you, which again will affect real applicants.
If you're just there to waste time, then 1) I hope your school/college stop you 2) you fking grow up because you won't get into an uni - and yes other unis can see where you've applied to.

how can other unis see, i know they get shrinked versions of our forms, when i was at bath they had my form on A4, they had the front page...........i am not sure if it was all of it tho. i saw the top and it looked exactly like the normal form, just smaller. i asked a ucas lady who came into my school to talk to us, she said they can't see the other unis. (i dont trust her :P)
loftx
I don't know about Cambrige but this dosn't happen at Oxford - when you are made an offer by Oxford it's not made offical by UCAS. After getting the offer you're given around 20 days to decide if you want to go. if you decine you never get the offical UCAS offer. In this case the offer goes to someone else on a waiting list, so if you get an offer and decline it - no ones lost out on a place.

I would encourage people to apply for Oxbridge - not if you dont want to go - but if you think you might like to go but don't think your good enough then do apply, you might just get in.

Yikes, I'd better reply to Cambridge then. I don't really want to decide until after I know my further maths resit result, because then I'll know whether I have a realistic chance of getting the grades...

Latest

Trending

Trending