The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

Accommodation

Good to see there's finally a forum for King's.
I'm applying to Cambridge this year to do history and am considering putting King's as one of my other choices as it seems to have a really strong department. My mum however is a bit concerned about accommodation. From what she has heard, read in the papers etc., she anticipates that after the year in halls, any accommodation will be:
-hideously expensive
-and/or miles from the university, resulting in high transport costs and difficulty meeting with friends etc.
Is it really that much of a problem?
Thanks.
Reply 1
AlRP
Good to see there's finally a forum for King's.
I'm applying to Cambridge this year to do history and am considering putting King's as one of my other choices as it seems to have a really strong department. My mum however is a bit concerned about accommodation. From what she has heard, read in the papers etc., she anticipates that after the year in halls, any accommodation will be:
-hideously expensive
-and/or miles from the university, resulting in high transport costs and difficulty meeting with friends etc.
Is it really that much of a problem?
Thanks.

Depends if you get what you want. I got my first choice (Brian Creamer House) which is a 10/15 minute walk to college (and I get to walk past the Houses of Parliament every morning, and will be a neighbour to the Archbishop of Canterbury who lives in Lambeth Palace which is almost next door - which sounds really surreal to a northern suburban boy like me!), and is actually really nice and modern. Plus its just infront of a really nice park called Archbishops Park. Its quite small and basic, so its not going to be the rowdiest of places, but its also at around £3000 its not too expensive, especially when you consider that I've friends going to Leeds and Nottingham who are paying £2900 and £4000 respetively.

On the other hand there are the apartments Gt Dover St and Stamford St, which are both very near campuses (Stamford St being directly opposite the road from Waterloo Campus). The apartments all have ensuite and are quite luxurious in terms of amenities and facilities compared to the halls, but as a result are quite expensive (around £3800 I think). I personally didnt think they were worth the extra money as I dont think I'd really appreciate the luxuries. Plus, the Stamford St apartments which were near the campus I'll be studying at were a bit grey in my opinion, being the only accommodation not being near any greenery at all.

Also there is the Wolfson House, which is supposed to be horrendous, but has the advantage of being within walking distance of most campuses. I've heard many horror stories about the terrible quality of this accommodation and thus wanted to avoid it, although it does have a swimming pool :smile:

You could also get a place in an intercollegiate halls, which are mainly situated in Bloomsbury nearer to Euston Tech and that other godless institution on Gower St. They are in really quite nice areas and the accommodation is quite nice (if not a bit cramped), but are ALL catered, and thus pricier - which put me off.

With regards to accomdations which are far away from all of the campuses, there are Kings College Hall, which is catered, and Hampstead Hall, which is self-catered. These two really are quite a distance and you'd have to commute every morning. Plus Kings College Hall is supposedly in a notoriously rough area, and almost all the first years at Hampstead will have to share a room - but as a result are much cheaper. I'd try and avoid these two in particular.

In conclusion, the accommodation isnt all bad or hideously expensive. It depends on where you are put. Every accommodation at every uni will have its good points, and every uni will have its good accommodation and its bad accommodation.
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
After the year in halls.. your mum is right - london is more often than not extremely expensive. But if you shop around when looking for your 2nd year accommodation then there are places to be found probably from about £70 a week (possibly pushing it a bit - but if you look in places like camden there are some house shares to be found..).

You'll be more spread out from friends in the 2nd year most probably, but then again you'll be going to the union and out to similar places, plus meeting up centrally for lunch/whatever - so i don't think that keeping in touch with friends will really be too much of a problem (everyone will be in the same position, so everyone will be making the effort to meet up. My bf in london at the moment has friends living all over the place - croydon, bethnal green, hampstead, brixton, elephant & castle.. and he still manages to see everyone.)

Travel is most likely going to cost you a fair bit , even if , like me (in 2 weeks) you are going to be living really close to your campus - that'd be fine if all you do is go to your lectures, but in reality there's a lot more to london and with kings halls all over the place, as well as london generally being rather big it would PROBABLY be worth investing in a bus pass or travel card anyway - so what i'm saying is that the travel costs are most likely to be there anyway, regardless of whether you live really centrally or not - especially once the travel system is changed to fewer zones. Plus, it's the kind of thing that gets factored in to living in london and the comparatively larger loan.

Finally, london is a pretty amazing place to live, and going as a student is probably one of the best times to do it. In my opinion the benefits outweigh the costs.. especially considering that all of the major cities are getting much closer to london in terms of expenses (brighton is moreso i hear, plus they dont even get the larger loan to make it easier..)
After staying in Kings College Hall for a year, I decided to stay in Camberwell. Me and my friends have a newly refurbished ground floor 3 bedroom flat, costing us £85 a week each. It's great. I get a bus into college every morning, costs £5 or so for a weekly bus pass with a student thing... I could get the train from loughborough junction or denmark hill, but that requires more walking and costs more... :biggrin:

You get nice areas in boroughs and bad areas - as long as you use your common sense when out and about you'll be fine. Russell Square is in the borough of Camden, for example.

Latest