The Student Room Group

Which college for maths?

Hi, I have asked this before and was told that a short list would help. I want to study maths, but he college needs good music facilities (I am a classical pianist). I would describe myself as quite quiet around new people but 'open up' around a small group of friends.

My list so far is:
Clare
Chorpus Christie
Emmanual
Gonville
St Johns
Trinity.

What would be best? I dont know how to narrow down this list :frown:
Reply 1
Clare is the most musical college on that list...probably the most musical of all the Cambridge colleges. I think Corpus is the smallest of that lot, if it makes a difference.
Womble548
Hi, I have asked this before and was told that a short list would help. I want to study maths, but he college needs good music facilities (I am a classical pianist). I would describe myself as quite quiet around new people but 'open up' around a small group of friends.

My list so far is:
Clare
Chorpus Christie
Emmanual
Gonville
St Johns
Trinity.

Trinity is, of course, renowned for its mathematicians. Emmanuel is generally competitive, and may therefore be good as well. St. John's is good for music, and the most beautiful of them all. Don't know much about Clare.
Reply 3
Clare is very musical (scarily so - I didn't know what I was letting myself in for!) but I don't know how "good" it is for Maths (though these things really mean very little). John's and Caius are also quite musical, but both big. Corpus is the smallest of that lot, but I'm afraid I have no idea what it's like socially.
Reply 4
Womble548

My list so far is:
Clare
Chorpus Christie
Emmanual
Gonville
St Johns
Trinity.

In terms of reputation for maths, Trinity undoubtedly has the best. Clare is supposed to be the most musical college, although any of those colleges listed would enable you to continue playing the piano as they are likely to have the appropriate facilities, practise rooms, etc. I know at Emma you can pay extra to have a larger room with a piano.
Reply 5
To echo what others have said, your choice should depend on a combination of social and academic factors, but simply put Trinity is the best for math. The top maths results from part IA, IB and II were all attained by Trinitarians (sadly us arts students do not do as well as the mathmos :redface: ).
Reply 6
Yes i've heard trinity is definitely best for maths, but there won't be any significant difference between the other colleges maths-wise. i'm sure music facilities are available to the standard you require at all colleges (at least they all have chapels!) So think about size of college / size of maths intake / distance from maths lectures (no idea where they are!). since no one's mentioned corpus, some say it's cosy / riendly / pretty, but can be claustrophobic, but academically very stong. good luck choosing!

Latest

Trending

Trending