The Student Room Group

Cambridge History Students and Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
I applied last year with a deferred entry, and got a place in Christ's College. Now I'm trying to finish my military service in Finland. I hope you do well. The interviews and stuff aren't as intimidating as you think.
I have done quite a bit of extra reading. There are about 10 books I would like to discuss at interview. I'm applying for Caius btw.
Reply 182
It depends on the interview I guess, but in my interview they didn't ask many direct questions about the books I had mentioned in my personal statement.

On the other hand, they can be very useful when answering to other questions, since you can draw facts and opinions from them, and relate them to the questions asked.
kay_oh_dee
Oooh...this is new...
Hi everyone, just thought I'd introduce myself. I've just got an offer for History this October, Queens' College. Really looking forward to it! Are you all mainly enjoying the Cambridge History experience so far, or is it living hell :p: ? Do you know any Queens' historians by any chance?

My supervisor for this term was the lovely Dr A Thompson of Queens. A very nice chap who made my first term much less stressful than I thought it was going to be.
Reply 184
giorgioncgs
Hello,
I've applied to Peterhouse for History. Who else is applying to read History at Cambridge? Best of Luck!
George
:smile:

Hi, I've applied to Clare for History :smile:
My interview was yesterday! Have you had yours yet?
I thought it was better than I expected!
Depending on my A level grades I am hoping to sit the Cambridge entrance exam next year.The problem is my school is quite unhelpful, only one person has ever attended Cambridge from my school.
I feel going to a comprehensive school I'm some how missing out, as the 'careers officers' seem to know nothing of admissions.
Does anybody know any interesting books that will really boost my knowledge and depth of understanding for these exams?
The careers officers and such like often merely point out all the common misconceptions and such like, so it's not a bad thing not having one - they are often crap.

In terms of the history exam there are no books that are going to vastly improve your chances of doing well but I would suggest:

In defence of history - Richard J. Evans
What is history? - E.H. Carr

Along with these basic intorductions just read widely, gaining 'knowledge and depth of understanding' is, for most people, a marathon and not a sprint. You have plenty of time.

Good luck with your exams and such.

<3
Reply 187
I've suddenly encountered a very radical change in heart, and, despite liking the look of the History courses I have applied to so far, I feel that if I surprise myself and do better than expected- I would like to wait a year and apply for Cambridge instead (working on more things to "spice-up" my application, perhaps taking modules from the Open University, relevant work experience etc).

At the moment I am predicted an A in Media Studies, a B in History and B in Computing (essentially the grades I got in AS, bar Computing, which I have resit and am on track for a B). It's going to be quite difficult for me to attain As in the latter two, and I am fully aware of that, but I'm definitely going to try my hardest to boost them up. That, however, still leaves me with another problem- Media Studies.

I am doing incredibly well in Media Studies at the moment, having attained nearly full marks in both my AS and A2 coursework pieces, aswell as nearly top marks in my AS exams (I anticipate with similar efforts, the same in my A2 exam also). This *should* enable me to average out an A* grade (or at least equivalent) overall at the end of the course, if my research on the "new" A* grade serves me correctly.

Just how well respected is an A* in Media Studies, though? I know for a fact that most Colleges of Cambridge don't specify which subject one should attain the A* in, so surely I wouldn't be disqulified from applying JUST because it's in a "lesser" course... would I?

Thanks.
Cambridge HATES media studies. Sorry.

If your other subjects were super acedemic and/or amazing grades, credentials good and interview aced ... maybe, just maybe.

but in your situation, particularly with a subject as competitive as history, I would say the odds are against you. You never know though :smile:
teno
I've suddenly encountered a very radical change in heart, and, despite liking the look of the History courses I have applied to so far, I feel that if I surprise myself and do better than expected- I would like to wait a year and apply for Cambridge instead.

At the moment I am predicted an A in Media Studies, a B in History and B in Computing (essentially the grades I got in AS, bar Computing, which I have resit and am on track for a B). It's going to be quite difficult for me to attain As in the latter two, and I am fully aware of that, but I'm definitely going to try my hardest to boost them up. That, however, still leaves me with another problem- Media Studies.

I am doing incredibly well in Media Studies at the moment, having attained nearly full marks in both my AS and A2 coursework pieces, aswell as nearly top marks in my AS exams (I anticipate with similar efforts, the same in my A2 exam also). This *should* enable me to average out an A* grade (or at least equivalent) overall at the end of the course, if my research on the "new" A* grade serves me correctly.

Just how well respected is an A* in Media Studies, though? I know for a fact that most Colleges of Cambridge don't specify which subject one should attain the A* in, so surely I wouldn't be disqulified from applying JUST because it's in a "lesser" course... would I?

Thanks.

It's a soft subjected and I believe black listed, which means they may not even consider it,be it A* or C. Your setting your self an incredibly hard task, especially for History it being one of the most competitive subjects you could apply for. They also may specify that the A* be in History.
On paper your application wouldn't be upto scratch compared to other history applicants, but if you perform well in interview etc then you may be lucky and get an offer
Reply 191
Wouldn't they expect you to have the A* in History though? Considering that's the course you're applying for? I suspect Media Studies is only acceptable as a fourth subject.

Don't Cambridge look at module marks too? I'm sure TSR had told me that somewhere- in which case it wouldn't be enough to scrape As. I'm not sure if it's the same for post A Level applicants though...

Perhaps you'd be best going to one of the unis that's already accepted you.
Reply 192
ArchedEdge
On paper your application wouldn't be upto scratch compared to other history applicants, but if you perform well in interview etc then you may be lucky and get an offer

This is what I am trying to weigh up in my own head: whether it's worth taking the risk and waiting a year. I did read that Media Studies was, quite annoyingly, blacklisted... I just didn't think it'd be that much of a big deal if it was at an extremely high grade.

It is easy to do well in Media Studies, fine, but it's very difficult to stand out and do phenominally well.

If I do manage to get A*AA (A* in Media) what kind of things would you recommend I get involved in during the gap year to increase my chances of getting an offer? If I was to take a gap year, obviously.
Reply 193
teno
This is what I am trying to weigh up in my own head: whether it's worth taking the risk and waiting a year. I did read that Media Studies was, quite annoyingly, blacklisted... I just didn't think it'd be that much of a big deal if it was at an extremely high grade.

It is easy to do well in Media Studies, fine, but it's very difficult to stand out and do phenominally well.

If I do manage to get A*AA (A* in Media) what kind of things would you recommend I get involved in during the gap year to increase my chances of getting an offer? If I was to take a gap year, obviously.

Media studies is black-listed, and if you wanted to apply to Cambridge you'd need to be doing a fourth subject since media studies isn't counted; regardless of the grade. There's was a lot of talk about people applying with 'dodgy' A-Level choices at last year's open day. Unfortunately it's going to be almost impossible for you to apply if you're only doing three A-Levels and one of them is media studies. Plus you'd need to get an A* in one of your other A-Levels, other than media studies, to be able to apply anyway.
Reply 194
Have a look at the history offers given out this year. There's a good chance they specified history as the A*. I know Cambridge has done that for at least some other subjects. Also, I don't mean to be harsh, but if you think it will be difficult for you to get an A at A2 level in history, is it really a good idea to study it at such a demanding university?
Media studies IS counted, you just can't have 2 blacklisted subjects out of 3.

They seem to have moved their blacklist on the website?! But when I last saw it, it definitely said that you could have 1 blacklisted subject out of 3. Anyways, try really hard to get an A* in history this year.

OP, what's your 4th AS in? You could take another subject next year maybe? And just generally read and think about History loads, research things you're interested in, etc.

Where are your offers for this year?
Also - from http://www.cam.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/apply/requirements.html#alevels

"The subject in which the A* is to be achieved is unlikely to be specified in most cases." I know it says most, but it seems likely that they'd be most likely to specify it for maths/engineering /etc - since Imperial already ask for specific module marks in Maths modules, and Cambridge have STEP etc.

Since this is the first year of the A*, it seems unlikely that they'd specify the subject - I know that some colleges were going to offer arts students AAA (and science students A*AA) anyway. Not sure if they actually did though - check the offer threads.
Reply 197
I'm pretty sure media studies is on the list of subjects that hinder your application to Cambridge.
Reply 198
angelmxxx
Media studies IS counted, you just can't have 2 blacklisted subjects out of 3.

They seem to have moved their blacklist on the website?! But when I last saw it, it definitely said that you could have 1 blacklisted subject out of 3. Anyways, try really hard to get an A* in history this year.

OP, what's your 4th AS in? You could take another subject next year maybe? And just generally read and think about History loads, research things you're interested in, etc.

Where are your offers for this year?

My 4th AS was in ICT, another reason why I dropped it. I got a C. It's practically worthless for this application in my opinion. My offers so far are Birmingham, Keele, Staffordshire and De Montfort (got an interview with them, but I'm not too worried about the outcome). Also, at Keele and Staffordshire, I opted for the joint course of History and Media, Communications and Culture.

I am really passionate (cliche, been said billions of times before) about History, I'd love to go to be able to study it at somewhere like Cambridge. I was given an offer from Birmingham based almost entirely on my personal statement alone, as my predicted grades didn't match the minimum required (AAB). I tried my best to convey a personal interest in my own hobbies through there, so I'm not lacking my extra-curricular studies.
Reply 199
Computing and ICT are on Trinity's list of A levels suitable only as a fourth subject. Media Studies is actually on the 'limited suitability' list. That's just one college, but still, it doesn't look good... Surprisingly, it looks like they consider computing more of a problem than media studies.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending