The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Hmm, perhaps I'll post here until my rejection. I started looking at STEP I (and a bit of II) last year, although I didn't enter myself for the exam, which I partly regret. I don't expect to get an offer; I'm applying more with the attitude of "because I can" than "because I'll get in".
Reply 181
Glutamic Acid
Hmm, perhaps I'll post here until my rejection. I started looking at STEP I (and a bit of II) last year, although I didn't enter myself for the exam, which I partly regret. I don't expect to get an offer; I'm applying more with the attitude of "because I can" than "because I'll get in".

Speaking as someone who is active in F38 I know that to be false.
Reply 182
Glutamic Acid

:rolleyes:

What's F38? Does it stand for Forum 38 or something?
turgon
:rolleyes:

What's F38? Does it stand for Forum 38 or something?

Yes? And the URL of the maths forum is http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=38
Reply 184
Glutamic Acid
Yes? And the URL of the maths forum is http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=38

So it is the maths forum. I was unsure as I've never seen it called F38.

(btw, if you were wondering what the :rolleyes: meant in my previous post, it's because I agree with SimonM's comments.)
Reply 185
Hello, mathsy people! I'm applying for maths at Clare college (and also Durham, Imperial, St. Andrews, Edinburgh).

How much maths have people done who are applying for 2009 entry? There are stories of those who have taken C1 etc really early, which makes me slightly worried as my school is very strict about when we do modules. I have done C1, 2, M1, S1, and FP1, and in January I'll be doing C3, 4 and S2. Also, I have only tried STEP I questions in school so far (with reasonable success), as they think we should wait until after (potential) offers for starting STEP II and III.

Eeek! It is all so very exciting and scary at once. I shall go and read something with no maths in at all now.
Reply 186
Vulgarity

How much maths have people done who are applying for 2009 entry? There are stories of those who have taken C1 etc really early, which makes me slightly worried as my school is very strict about when we do modules. I have done C1, 2, M1, S1, and FP1, and in January I'll be doing C3, 4 and S2. Also, I have only tried STEP I questions in school so far (with reasonable success), as they think we should wait until after (potential) offers for starting STEP II and III.

Don't worry with regards to when you take exams, Cambridge will understand that not all schools offer exams early.

With regards to STEP, count yourself lucky that your school does any help for them, some of us have had to do it all off our own backs
I sent my application off for Maths at Trinity today :smile:
Reply 188
Daniel Freedman
I sent my application off for Maths at Trinity today :smile:

Congratulations! My tutor says he's still checking mine and has almost finished writing my reference, although when I go onto UCAS it says "Your referee has not yet looked at your application" and "Your referee has not yet started your reference." Hmmm....
Reply 189
turgon
Congratulations! My tutor says he's still checking mine and has almost finished writing my reference, although when I go onto UCAS it says "Your referee has not yet looked at your application" and "Your referee has not yet started your reference." Hmmm....

My school always said that, but it wasn't the case; they were writing my reference in Word
Reply 190
I have sent my application to Trinity College for Mathematics, as an 'affiliated student' (already holding an undergraduate degree).
Will they interview me on telephone?
I wrote them back in May, 2008 and was told that they won't be calling too many Overseas students for interview at Cambridge. Infact, they told me that applicants applying as 'affiliated students' (already holding an undergraduate degree) are usually not called for the interview.
Reply 191
ha85pk
I have sent my application to Trinity College for Mathematics, as an 'affiliated student' (already holding an undergraduate degree).
Will they interview me on telephone?
I wrote them back in May, 2008 and was told that they won't be calling too many Overseas students for interview at Cambridge. Infact, they told me that applicants applying as 'affiliated students' (already holding an undergraduate degree) are usually not called for the interview.

you'll be best off sending the admissions office an email asking what the next steps are. that is, assuming it's not on their website.
My letter from Trinity says "most interviews will be held during the week of 8 December 2008".
i was told that if i went to cambridge to do a maths degree, many of the top banking and actuarial firms would look to scout the maths students. i was wondering if this true at cambridge and what proportion of the students who wanted a job where able to get it,

thanks
Depends how good candidates the students are. will move to maths thread where you might get better responses. :smile:
Reply 195
Jsbartlett
i was told that if i went to cambridge to do a maths degree, many of the top banking and actuarial firms would look to scout the maths students. i was wondering if this true at cambridge and what proportion of the students who wanted a job where able to get it,

thanks

By scout I assume you mean what I understand as headhunt. The top few in the year might get headhunted, but it's easy enough to get a job in actuarial if you really want it even without being headhunted if you're doing Maths at any decent university (banking less so perhaps), especially oxbridge. There's a Careers for Mathematicians event which firms that like mathmos come to, but to be individually headhunted you'll likely need to be getting starred firsts.
Reply 196
yusufu
to be individually headhunted you'll likely need to be getting starred firsts.

I can't imagine that being a worthwhile avenue to pursue for recruiters. Surely most people getting starred firsts would be looking to do postgrad, not muck about with actual numbers? :p:
ok, can I just ask, I recently read that for maths you need to have maths and further maths a-level. if you didn't have further maths a-level you have to take an AEA in maths. because A*s are coming in and AEAs are coming out, what happens if a candidate wanted to do maths, the school didn't offer further maths, and you can't do an AEA in maths. what happens? what could this applicant do apart from self-studying and registrating as an external applicant?

what wold you do?
Reply 198
im so academic
ok, can I just ask, I recently read that for maths you need to have maths and further maths a-level. if you didn't have further maths a-level you have to take an AEA in maths. because A*s are coming in and AEAs are coming out, what happens if a candidate wanted to do maths, the school didn't offer further maths, and you can't do an AEA in maths. what happens? what could this applicant do apart from self-studying and registrating as an external applicant?

what wold you do?

Firstly, I'm not sure where you got the AEA information from. As far as I'm aware Cambridge will ask people to take STEP I & II if they haven't taken further maths. I suspect this will continue with the A* grades
SimonM
Firstly, I'm not sure where you got the AEA information from. As far as I'm aware Cambridge will ask people to take STEP I & II if they haven't taken further maths. I suspect this will continue with the A* grades

check wikipedia

also, what if this applicant couldn't do STEP papers. what happens?

Latest

Trending

Trending