The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 380

That's more of a praparitory one, sort of to bridge the gap between school and university and for general interest.

There isn't a reading list as such for the course, but there are some suggested texts for the course in the sceduals:

The books are listed under to course content for each of the topics
Reply 381
Any books you would recommend to finish reading prior to applying for maths and going to interview?

Not necessarily the texts themselves, but books on more advanced mathematics that will help in application process?

Anyone start on their application for 2010 matriculation?
Reply 382
Zhandro
Any books you would recommend to finish reading prior to applying for maths and going to interview?

Not necessarily the texts themselves, but books on more advanced mathematics that will help in application process?

Anyone start on their application for 2010 matriculation?

If you read one book pre-interview, personally I'd make it Liebeck's Concise Introduction to Pure Mathematics. Its incredibly well-written and covers a lot of interesting topics, with enjoyable problems set at the end of each chapter. Really worth reading :yep:

Have a look at www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Recommended_Mathematics_Reading for some more suggestions :smile:
Reply 383
However, don't think that reading books then putting down that you've 'read books' on your personal statement is necessarily going to help you much in the interview. Any books you read should be for personal interest, not because 'cambridge said so'.
around
However, don't think that reading books then putting down that you've 'read books' on your personal statement is necessarily going to help you much in the interview. Any books you read should be for personal interest, not because 'cambridge said so'.

I should add here that my interview started off talking about what I did at school very briefly, then the rest was just working over questions that they gave me. No discussion about reading/extracurriculars at all.
Reply 385
blap
I'm a prospective applicant :smile:
Do we need A's in every module, as I heard somewhere that we do, but can't find the evidence.
Because M1 went ****, and I don't think I got an A in it, but I'm pretty I got an A overall as the core's went excellent.

No you don't. It will look strange, but they really seem to ignore everything except the interview. I got a C in C4 (kind of the most crucial module I'd taken) and got in.

They did specify in my offer to get 90% in it though.
W0bble
No you don't. It will look strange, but they really seem to ignore everything except the interview. I got a C in C4 (kind of the most crucial module I'd taken) and got in.

They did specify in my offer to get 90% in it though.

I wouldn't take this as absolute gospel, but it's a point worth considering. the DoS' will appreciate that some people can have bad days
Reply 387
I think Imperial College London might have been the Uni you're talking about, they do ask for As in all 12 maths modules now.

Don't worry about your module scores, mine ranged from 79 to 98 I think. Start thinking about STEP for the time being, it's good practice for interview.
Next year's lecture lists are available here if anyone's interested.
Reply 389
I assume "M, W, F 10" translates to "Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays at 1000"?
Reply 390
SimonM
I assume "M, W, F 10" translates to "Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays at 1000"?

Yup.
I'm still as puzzled as I was when I first found out a month ago that they decided to move IB Fluid Dynamics to Michaelmas without actually telling the students. The course info thing that Siklos emailed around at the end of Easter still says that Fluid is a Lent course. I'm sure there's gonna be someone out there who likes to do a lot of vacation reading being slightly annoyed at the fact that they haven't "prepared" themselves (pre-read) for the course at all when Michaelmas comes :P
I haven't gotten around to doing any reading yet. Let alone CATAM. Hopefully I can get out of this internship soon and get back to "real" work...
Hi guys!
I was wondering where the first year maths lectures take place, as I can't find it anywhere on the faculty website... Many thanks!
Reply 394
I think it's the Cockroft in New Museums..
ok thanks
See attachment for details.
Reply 397
Any other mathmo freshers been invited to the introductory course the week before everyone else starts? It says on my letter from Caius that it is organised jointly with a few other colleges, I was just wondering what it involved.

And what's it like, to any older mathmos that did it? :smile:
sonofdot
Any other mathmo freshers been invited to the introductory course the week before everyone else starts? It says on my letter from Caius that it is organised jointly with a few other colleges, I was just wondering what it involved.

And what's it like, to any older mathmos that did it? :smile:

King's (apparently) don't do it. I've been told to turn up on Friday the 2nd.
Reply 399
I've had a largely maths-free summer, haven't been enjoying it at all lately. I'd gladly change courses but the only thing I really want to do is zoology and Cambridge don't offer it :frown: . Part IA was dreadful - really didn't like it. I hope part IB is going to be better, but I'm not even a tiny bit enthusiastic that it will be :frown: .

Positronized
I'm still as puzzled as I was when I first found out a month ago that they decided to move IB Fluid Dynamics to Michaelmas without actually telling the students. The course info thing that Siklos emailed around at the end of Easter still says that Fluid is a Lent course. I'm sure there's gonna be someone out there who likes to do a lot of vacation reading being slightly annoyed at the fact that they haven't "prepared" themselves (pre-read) for the course at all when Michaelmas comes :P

Um...? It's listed in the lent column in http://www.maths.cam.ac.uk/undergrad/lecturelists/Maths%20Lecture%20List%20IB%20-%20Web.pdf .

Latest

Trending

Trending