The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lion7
Hi!I have just received my AS results and I'm hoping to Maths at Cambridge, which I'm aware has applicants, like the people in this thread were, with relatively high UMS. My scores are as follows:
C1: 98
C2:100
S1: 98
M1:96
FP1: 97
D1: 100
S2: 90
M2: 83
I am happy with the top 6 (in spite of the silly mistakes dropping me off 100) but my school let us opt in to sit 2 extra modules (S2 and M2). Unfortunately, my M2 score is a lot lower than I expected considering I was one of the strongest in M2 in my class (I hope to get it remarked for the sake of my FM grade). Will this rogue module be a detriment to my application and make me a uncompetitive applicant for Mathematics? And, did anyone else in the thread have rogue module scores when they applied and how was this treated?

My average is still above 95 and I am predicted 4A* in Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Chemistry. Would I have a chance of being selected for interview and, if so, given a strong interview performance, could I make an offer?

Thanks in advance!

You'll get an interview almost surely. If your interview performance is then strong you would get an offer.

You may get asked about your mechanics score but it is quite clearly rogue and your scores in the pure modules are very high.

I remember someone at the Cambridge STEP Easter School who got an offer with a B in FP1 if you want context to reassure you.
Original post by Themathgeek
Okay so I am split between cambridge and oxford (for a maths degree) so I would appreciate any help, advice and views on how much of a chance I stand getting an offer.

GCSE: 11A* 2A
AS: Maths (A), Further Maths (A), Economics (A), French (B)
A2 predictions 4A*: Maths, Further Maths, Additional further maths, Economics

I did 7 maths modules and average 95% ums

I've done a work placement, BMO, maths challenges, etc etc

Any advice for interview also welcome, thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oxford focus more on GCSE grades than Cambridge but Cambridge focus more on AS UMS. Also, Oxford focus more on the interview and give lower offers whereas the Cambridge interviews are much more relaxed but give higher offers. That might help you decide which to go for :smile:
Reply 6022
Original post by DJMayes
You'll get an interview almost surely. If your interview performance is then strong you would get an offer.

You may get asked about your mechanics score but it is quite clearly rogue and your scores in the pure modules are very high.

I remember someone at the Cambridge STEP Easter School who got an offer with a B in FP1 if you want context to reassure you.

Thank you so much for the prompt response! In terms of interviews, what sort of preparation can I do and in what context would they ask about the score, would they pose M2 problems at interview in my case?
Original post by lion7
Thank you so much for the prompt response! In terms of interviews, what sort of preparation can I do and in what context would they ask about the score, would they pose M2 problems at interview in my case?

It'll depend on which college you're intending on applying for I guess but from my experience they have a uniform set of questions they ask candidates so it's unlikely they'll throw in M2. If M2 gets brought up specifically I'd imagine it would just be enquiring as to why that module in particular is so much lower. Pretty much the entirety of the interview will just be you doing Maths with them anyway so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

The idea of the interviews are:

(a) test your ability to work with non-standard problems
(b) to see how well you respond to the supervision style of teaching

You prepare for (a) by doing exactly that. I used STEP I, and you'll find plenty of proposed past interview questions online and I believe on this forum if you search for them.

As for (b), I'm not entirely sure what good preparation for this is unless you have a teacher who is familiar with the Oxbridge Maths system - not just an oxbridge graduate, as my mock interviews with a classics graduate demonstrated to me. It's something to bear in mind in the interview though - if you're not getting the question done immediately, don't panic. They'll be talking to you, nudging you in the right directions and demonstrating to them that you can make use of this is as useful as just showing that you can do a question.
Original post by DJMayes

I assume that was intentional? :tongue: PRSOM
Original post by shamika
I assume that was intentional? :tongue: PRSOM

Couldn't resist :wink:

Original post by Mathemagicien
You were one of the mentors? :eek:

No, I attended it way back when! I did apply to be a mentor one year but didn't even make it to interview.
Original post by lion7
Hi!I have just received my AS results and I'm hoping to Maths at Cambridge, which I'm aware has applicants, like the people in this thread were, with relatively high UMS. My scores are as follows:
C1: 98
C2:100
S1: 98
M1:96
FP1: 97
D1: 100
S2: 90
M2: 83
I am happy with the top 6 (in spite of the silly mistakes dropping me off 100) but my school let us opt in to sit 2 extra modules (S2 and M2). Unfortunately, my M2 score is a lot lower than I expected considering I was one of the strongest in M2 in my class (I hope to get it remarked for the sake of my FM grade). Will this rogue module be a detriment to my application and make me a uncompetitive applicant for Mathematics? And, did anyone else in the thread have rogue module scores when they applied and how was this treated?

My average is still above 95 and I am predicted 4A* in Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Chemistry. Would I have a chance of being selected for interview and, if so, given a strong interview performance, could I make an offer?

Thanks in advance!

DJMayes has it all covered but to add assurance from a personal level, if it means anything, I got 79 in M1 and 76 in C3 (then retook C3) and applied to Trinity with 93.5% average, got an interview/offer/acceptance/good results in first two years (with a few hiccups).

I also have a friend who applied with 79.5% UMS to Sidney Sussex who somehow got an interview in which he claims to have said that "collisions is [his] favourite topic in mechanics because it's the easiest", and then got an offer out of it.

You are well secure, best of luck! Start the STEP preparation early, I started around this point as well (August after receiving AS results).
Which is more important, interview performance or ums score?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by phoebeisgreat

Posted from TSR Mobile

Whilst none of us can say for certain I would choose interview performance every time. The majority of Cambridge applicants have near perfect Maths UMS with the marks they dropped being whatever silly mistakes they made on the paper at the time. It tells you very little about their actual mathematical ability (A Levels are far too easy) and so I'd imagine heavy weighting in favour of interview performance. UMS is really about getting your foot in the door, I feel, and so long as it's sufficiently good for interview I'd not dwell on it.
Original post by DJMayes
Whilst none of us can say for certain I would choose interview performance every time. The majority of Cambridge applicants have near perfect Maths UMS with the marks they dropped being whatever silly mistakes they made on the paper at the time. It tells you very little about their actual mathematical ability (A Levels are far too easy) and so I'd imagine heavy weighting in favour of interview performance. UMS is really about getting your foot in the door, I feel, and so long as it's sufficiently good for interview I'd not dwell on it.

Ah thank you-this is reassuring! I didn't do as well as I had liked but still managed an average of 94 mums. What do they test you on in the interview?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

For maths Interviews for sure.
We see candidates every year with literally 99SUMS acerages and 99%MUMS averages getting rejected. Yet others with ~90 etting in with even D's in AS subjects.
It is really only about the Maths literally just the maths. Also if you get an offer and hit 1,1 being a UK student there is a 99% chance ur in.
How should I prepare for interview? I understand it's important to do as much maths as possible, but any other tips? Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6032
Original post by physicsmaths
For maths Interviews for sure.
We see candidates every year with literally 99SUMS acerages and 99%MUMS averages getting rejected. Yet others with ~90 etting in with even D's in AS subjects.
It is really only about the Maths literally just the maths. Also if you get an offer and hit 1,1 being a UK student there is a 99% chance ur in.

I was silly enough to do 2 AS modules in y10, C1 and C2 where i got 80 and 70 ums but I resat in y11 getting 100s. The rest of my modules are good, would they take any consideration when calculating avgs of my y10 modules
How should I prepare for interview? I understand it's important to do as much maths as possible, but any other tips? Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do STEP I. Learn how to talk maths verbally, whether that means practicing with a friend, to a mirror, idk...

Personally, I didn't do much. Was on holiday overseas between getting my invite and going for the interview. Still did fine, so not sure any prep is necessary per se. That said, I did have STEP I under my belt.
Original post by 11234
I was silly enough to do 2 AS modules in y10, C1 and C2 where i got 80 and 70 ums but I resat in y11 getting 100s. The rest of my modules are good, would they take any consideration when calculating avgs of my y10 modules

Not for averages

Posted from TSR Mobile

Specifically, you can look at the tests some colleges use. E.g. the Trinity ones (don't worry if you find them hard, they're supposed to be).
Hi, does anyone know if upon completing Parts IA, IB and II of the maths tripos we'll graduate with a "BA" or a "BA (Hons)"? Many thanks :smile:
I looked at the website and it said BA Hons provided necessary examinations have been passed...which examinations do they mean?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by apriori1234
Hi, does anyone know if upon completing Parts IA, IB and II of the maths tripos we'll graduate with a "BA" or a "BA (Hons)"? Many thanks :smile:
I looked at the website and it said BA Hons provided necessary examinations have been passed...which examinations do they mean?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Providing you pass, you'll graduate BA Hons. (Cantab.).

edit after your edit: to receive BA Hons. you need to pass part II with honours (i.e. get a third class or higher). If there are extenuating circumstances and you don't reach that threshold you may be awarded BA Hons or just BA.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Ben385
Providing you pass, you'll graduate BA Hons. (Cantab.).

edit after your edit: to receive BA Hons. you need to pass part II with honours (i.e. get a third class or higher). If there are extenuating circumstances and you don't reach that threshold you may be awarded BA Hons or just BA.

Okay thank you! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by apriori1234
Okay thank you! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Why do you ask by the way? I don't think I've heard anyone ask that before :P

Latest

Trending

Trending