The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Under the new grading system introduced last year, it seems the best strategy is to get as many alphas as possible - if you're aiming for a high first. As it is impossible to get an alpha from a short question, this means that short questions should only be done if there is spare time.
Y__
Depends what you're aiming for, really. I used the first approach last year (only tried 2 section 1 questions in total, i.e. in all 4 papers), and I guess it might work although I guess it would've been sensible to try at least one section I on every paper.

I'd be really happy with a 2.i or a first.
So, say that a person manages to get 12-13 alphas but just a few (2-3) betas. Is this enough to get a first?
I'm slightly confused about the new marking system, and I can't find any information about it at all. Oh well.

Y__ , just out of curiosity, did you get a first last year? How many section II questions did you answer to?
Reply 782
Dialetheism
I'd be really happy with a 2.i or a first.
So, say that a person manages to get 12-13 alphas but just a few (2-3) betas. Is this enough to get a first?
I'm slightly confused about the new marking system, and I can't find any information about it at all. Oh well.

Y__ , just out of curiosity, did you get a first last year? How many section II questions did you answer to?

Yes.
13/3 would get you a first (or rather, would have got you a first last year), and I reckon 12/2 might just have worked too, don't quote me on that.

13/3 is an unrealistic score though - you shouldn't expect to be able to get an alpha on all the alpha questions you try.
The 13/3 score was just to get an idea of how the marking system works! Thanks :biggrin:
What is the new marking system? Has it changed significantly from previous years? 4th year has alpha +, alpha, alpha - ...and even gammas! Well confusing.
It's the same as before, just that they've changed the weights. Last year, an alpha was worth 30, and a beta was worth 5, on top of the raw score, of course.
Y__
Yes.
13/3 would get you a first (or rather, would have got you a first last year), and I reckon 12/2 might just have worked too, don't quote me on that.Really? Regardless of what else you scored?

Back when I took IA, if you took my best two papers I'd have got 14/0 (maximum possible) and indeed dropped only 5 marks from the maximum possible. It still wouldn't have been quite enough for a first - the alphas would have been fine, but the mark total wouldn't. (And 14/0 and no other marks wouldn't be enough for a first in IB or II either).

(I'm pretty sure I would have got a first under those circumstances, but only because someone would specifically bend the rules).
Is there anywhere which specifically details the marking method?

I found on the schedule that at the First / upper second boundary the mark taken into account is: 30*alphas + 5*Betas + mark

Does this effectively mean an question in section 2 is worth up to 50 "marks" and section 1 only worth up to 15 ?
Dadeyemi
Is there anywhere which specifically details the marking method?

I found on the schedule that at the First / upper second boundary the mark taken into account is: 30*alphas + 5*Betas + mark

Does this effectively mean an question in section 2 is worth up to 50 "marks" and section 1 only worth up to 15 ?

I believe the first 8 alphas are worth an additional 15 marks, and any further alphas are worth an additional 30 marks.
The details were given on the mark breakdown sheet, but I seem to have misplaced it.
Sighted a few first years in GRM today. I think there was a row of TSRers sitting in front of me, actually.
Reply 791
I have a quick question. I read this on a thread somewhere, but can't find it now. It was about Harvard vs. Cambridge.

I wondering which one is more difficult: Math 55 at Harvard or the Maths Tripos at Cambridge?

Also was wondering which institution has a better reputation for maths.
Reply 792
Math 55 is one course at Harvard, so it's not really a direct comparison. Math 55 is legendarily hard, considering how many people start and finish it, but difficultly isn't something the Tripos lacks, if you want your supervisors will be able to find questions you can't do. (See Gowers' "Problems for Enthusiasts" for example). With regards to reputation, they both have fantastic reputations for maths. Harvard probably has a better reputation generally, and Cambridge may edge it on maths, but it's hard to judge. Just to emphasis the important point Math 55 is ONE course
Reply 793
Thanks.

Also, about maths supervisions, is it normally grad students leading the supervisions or professors? And are the grad students/professors from your own college? Because I noticed that a lot of the maths professors are from Trinity...
It depends on what the college is able to arrange. Most of mine have been Ph.D. students. Some were from outside my college. Also, on a terminological note, not all teaching staff are professors.
Reply 795
I had more than half of them with academic staff, I have friends who have had mostly PhD students for their supervisions. In generally, it is probably fair to say that the quality of supervisors is evenly distributed throughout the whole population, whether just graduated, experienced or tenured - it is, after all, only an undergrad course and all supervisors will be reasonably familiar with the material and quite a bit more. It really depends more on their motivation and teaching abilities.
Reply 796
But are the academic staff that lead the supervisions from the college you attend?
Reply 797
Not necessarily, I've had two supervisors from outside my college who were not PhD students.
In general I would suppose that at most colleges, the fellows at that college supervise those subject that they feel qualified for and get external supervisors for the other subjects. These are mostly PhD students (since many fellows from other colleges are supervising 'their' students, i.e. don't have time for others), but there are exceptions to the rule.
Reply 798
^ Thank you.

Anyone reading maths at Magdalene?
Reply 799
Y__
Not necessarily, I've had two supervisors from outside my college who were not PhD students.
In general I would suppose that at most colleges, the fellows at that college supervise those subject that they feel qualified for and get external supervisors for the other subjects. These are mostly PhD students (since many fellows from other colleges are supervising 'their' students, i.e. don't have time for others), but there are exceptions to the rule.

Is this more common for advanced courses or smaller colleges?

Latest

Trending

Trending