The Student Room Group

Cambridge English Students and Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by dlaiden
That's not the Cambridge website. There is no required/suggested reading list for pre-offer applicants; just read widely across different periods and have something interesting to say about what you've read. And try to get around 90% UMS average in three of your subjects. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

oh okay, thank goodness for that. I will try my best! Thank you! :biggrin:
Any preparation advice for candidates wanting to apply for English Literature at Cambridge in September 2014 for entry in 2015?
I know it's early, but the earlier the better I always say.
And any advice for incoming international students? I have to admit I'm a little lost among all the paperwork, what college to choose, what books to read in preparation... anyone?
what is it really like? to intense to keep up with?
Original post by theviolonist
And any advice for incoming international students? I have to admit I'm a little lost among all the paperwork, what college to choose, what books to read in preparation... anyone?

I'm guessing it would be pretty tricky for you to get over here to check out colleges in person, so my advice would be to get hold of one of the Uni prospectuses and start short-listing based on stuff you want. Like, do you want a medium sized college or a big one? Or do you want one close to town/a pretty one/2nd year accommodation that's very close to the main College site, etc., etc.? I found that cut them down to 7 or 8 pretty quickly, and then you know that even if you picked one of the remainder by random, they're still close to what you're looking for in an ideal world.

As far as reading goes, just read what you love, think about it, and keep trying new things. They're not looking for anything really specific, after all.
Reply 1105
So far what I have read, the main point in applying for this course is that you have read widely and have thought about what you have read. I know that Im good in this, but are there any other things I should consider? In another thread, an applicant for English claimed that he/she was a published poet. So...do you need to be T.S.Eliot to get in?

Thank you : )
Original post by Rala
So far what I have read, the main point in applying for this course is that you have read widely and have thought about what you have read. I know that Im good in this, but are there any other things I should consider? In another thread, an applicant for English claimed that he/she was a published poet. So...do you need to be T.S.Eliot to get in?

Well, doll, I'm definitely not published, and I'm starting English at Cambridge in October. Don't let the over-achievers scare you - sounds like you're doing all the right things (though reading the occasional bit of critical literature is also helpful - you could try the Very Short Introduction to Literary Theory; that was good for me. It's also worth trying JSTOR or an equivalent site for academic essays on areas you're interested in. There's also a really awesome series of 'Cambridge Companions' for everything from Virginia Woolf to the Arthurian legend which gave me some background and ideas on a lot of stuff.)

Good luck! :biggrin:
Reply 1107
Original post by rae-79
Well, doll, I'm definitely not published, and I'm starting English at Cambridge in October. Don't let the over-achievers scare you - sounds like you're doing all the right things (though reading the occasional bit of critical literature is also helpful - you could try the Very Short Introduction to Literary Theory; that was good for me. It's also worth trying JSTOR or an equivalent site for academic essays on areas you're interested in. There's also a really awesome series of 'Cambridge Companions' for everything from Virginia Woolf to the Arthurian legend which gave me some background and ideas on a lot of stuff.)

Good luck! :biggrin:

Ah, thank you SO much! I have read Eagleton's Literary Theory - an Introduction and found it very helpful. Ill definitely check those recommendations out : )

Its all a bit overwhelming since Im not native speaker but your advice is super helpful ^^
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Rala
Ah, thank you SO much! I have read Eagleton's Literary Theory - an Introduction and found it very helpful. Ill definitely check those recommendations out : )

Its all a bit overwhelming since Im not native speaker but your advice is super helpful ^^

No problem at all :biggrin:
Hullo! This is my first post so I hope it belongs in this forum!

I have always wanted to study English at Cambridge (obviously that would be my first choice but other universities also look excellent!) but I have taken a bit of a strange route through my education/A levels.

I left school at 14 and self-taught my GCSEs (I have 9 A*s) and then I spent three years at college doing 4 A levels; french, chemistry, biology and history (I finished with ABBC). I have mental health problems and my attention was mainly focused on recovery at this point in my life. I had an offer from Oxford but I did not achieve the grades. I was not really in the best frame of mind to be taking exams.

I got a job in London in a library and I've made some really great friends. I feel a lot better about my mental health. I've also been going to evening school to study three new A levels in English literature, Spanish and Italian. I took them all in one year and I really enjoyed myself. I don't mean to boast or anything but I really am hoping for good enough grades for Cambridge this August.

So, basically, say I got A*A*A* (just 'say' I got this!), would I have a good chance at getting an offer from Cambridge if I applied this year? Or would my old A levels be used for the ums average? I've done 4 years in total of A levels but no retakes. So, which ones count? I'm so confused!

Thanks in advance for the help!
Original post by SweetieSoo
Hullo! This is my first post so I hope it belongs in this forum!

I have always wanted to study English at Cambridge (obviously that would be my first choice but other universities also look excellent!) but I have taken a bit of a strange route through my education/A levels.

I left school at 14 and self-taught my GCSEs (I have 9 A*s) and then I spent three years at college doing 4 A levels; french, chemistry, biology and history (I finished with ABBC). I have mental health problems and my attention was mainly focused on recovery at this point in my life. I had an offer from Oxford but I did not achieve the grades. I was not really in the best frame of mind to be taking exams.

I got a job in London in a library and I've made some really great friends. I feel a lot better about my mental health. I've also been going to evening school to study three new A levels in English literature, Spanish and Italian. I took them all in one year and I really enjoyed myself. I don't mean to boast or anything but I really am hoping for good enough grades for Cambridge this August.

So, basically, say I got A*A*A* (just 'say' I got this!), would I have a good chance at getting an offer from Cambridge if I applied this year? Or would my old A levels be used for the ums average? I've done 4 years in total of A levels but no retakes. So, which ones count? I'm so confused!

Thanks in advance for the help!

I reckon your set of circumstances is too peculiar for TSR to be of much help--it looks like it would be best to get in touch with individual directors of study / admissions tutors at colleges that interest you (if you're old enough to be a mature student it would probably be worth checking out St Edmund's / Wolfson / Hughes Hall) and asking them for their take on your situation.
(edited 9 years ago)
Hi,
Does anyone know how many supervisions/essays there are per week for English students in their first year? And are any lectures compulsory or are they all at each students discretion?
Thanks!
Original post by Wilby100
Hi,
Does anyone know how many supervisions/essays there are per week for English students in their first year? And are any lectures compulsory or are they all at each students discretion?
Thanks!

It will vary from term to term and from college to college to a small degree, but typically you'll have roughly one essay and one hour of supervision per week in whatever period paper you're doing and then on top of that maybe a weekly or fortnightly 1.5 hour college seminar on similar topics and the same for prac crit (where you will also probably be given past exam papers to answer every now and then). No lectures are compulsory but it is definitely a good idea to at least go to the ones on the Medieval and Shakespeare set texts.
Original post by TritonSails
It will vary from term to term and from college to college to a small degree, but typically you'll have roughly one essay and one hour of supervision per week in whatever period paper you're doing and then on top of that maybe a weekly or fortnightly 1.5 hour college seminar on similar topics and the same for prac crit (where you will also probably be given past exam papers to answer every now and then). No lectures are compulsory but it is definitely a good idea to at least go to the ones on the Medieval and Shakespeare set texts.

Thanks! What sort of length are the essays also?
Original post by Wilby100
Thanks! What sort of length are the essays also?

To an extent that depends on the supervisor and on what kind of essay you're writing. My prac crit exercises tend to be 1250-1750 words long, with period essays more like maybe 1750-2250 (depending on how lazy/keen I've been in a given week). In my experience they don't like having to read 2500+ word long essays because they're busy people and you're probably saying irrelevant things/using a really long-winded style at that point. My 18th century supervisor offered the option of doing one double-length period paper essay over two weeks to really get into a topic but I never did so.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by TritonSails
To an extent that depends on the supervisor and on what kind of essay you're writing. My prac crit exercises tend to be 1250-1750 words long, with period essays more like maybe 1750-2250 (depending on how lazy/keen I've been in a given week). In my experience they don't like having to read 2500+ word long essays because they're busy people and you're probably saying irrelevant things/using a really long-winded style at that point. My 18th century supervisor offered the option of doing one double-length period paper essay over two weeks to really get into a topic but I never did so.

Thanks so much!
Original post by Rala

Dude, you're fine. I'd assume I'm the 'published poet' you speak of and that's really not a big deal - I've had some pieces published in magazines, I don't have a collection of my own yet. That's my project for uni. :smile: Also I'm not particularly well-read and my lowest UMS is in English. It's very easy to let other applicants intimidate you - and god knows they're often very intimidating - but you have to focus on yourself.
Hi all!

As a (hopeful) applicant to Cambridge University (I actually haven't been able to make a final decision yet since I'm still waiting for my remarks to see how the UMS fares), I'd like to ask a rather broad question...

I've been looking over my choice of reading materials over the past year and so and realised that my overwhelming passion for 20th Century literature (Faulkner, Greene, Chandler, Vonnegut, Hemingway, and currently Du Maurier) and poetry (Robert Frost, E.E. Cummings, T.S. Eliot, Larkin, Plath), and even plays (Pinter) have unfortunately left me rather scant in the...well, the entire 16th-19th Century literature department. PANIC PANIC :eek:

Well, I guess I haven't been ENTIRELY negligent about pre-20th century literature. For example,

Novels-wise, I've read: Wuthering Heights, two Austens (guess which two), Walpole's The Castle of Otranto (which I really, really did NOT enjoy), and...well, that's it.

Plays-wise, a bit of Shakespeare (King Lear is one of my set texts for A2, and I've also read Romeo and Juliet, The Tempest, Hamlet, Richard III...so all the 'mainstream' ones), Marlowe's Dr. Faustus, and Oedipus Rex.

And as for poetry...bit of Renaissance Verse, 17th Century Libertines Verse, some pre-20th Century American Poets (Anne Bradstreet, Allan Poe, Dickinson), and tried (mind you I tried) to get through translations by Heaney and Tolkien of Beowulf.

In case you can't be bothered to read all the above (I don't blame you), basically I'm a bit worried my reading's been overtly narrow which may pose a problem as my Personal Statement is also similarly dominated by references to 20th Century literature. I've been told we should always just put down what we enjoy reading the most as opposed to what we think the universities want, but I don't want them to think of me as being limited in my range of reading and unwilling to read pre-20th Century...I actually enjoy most of what I've read in this time period, I just don't really know where to start!

So here's the skinny: anyone here have any recommendations for 16th-19th Century literature for me to peruse and enlighten myself?

For poetry I think I'll be getting the Norton Anthology of Poetry, but I'm really clueless about novels. I quite enjoyed the Austens, I LOVED Wuthering Heights and I do like my Shakespeare, but I just want to explore a bit more...

Anyway if you've taken time to even skim through this post then thanks and also my sincerest apologies for the rambling nature of my prose. Any suggestions I will treasure most dearly!!!
Original post by SeftonStalag
x

I have an unconditional Cambridge offer for Education with French for 2015, and I worked in a bookshop for 2 years :smile: I loved Flaubert's 'Madame Bovary' (there are several English translations out there, and personally I love European literature!), also Voltaire's poetry is a good read, again there are translations available.

If you don't fancy French literature (and tbh I wouldn't blame you!) then you could try the diary of Samuel Pepys, Swift's 'Gulliver's travels' or 'Evelina' by Fanny Burney.

I agree with trying to stick with what you enjoy, though - you could maybe mention a couple of non-20th C. works in your PS but if that's your passion, then I'd advise you to make sure it comes across!

Good luck :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by RosieEPQ
I have an unconditional Cambridge offer for Education with French for 2015, and I worked in a bookshop for 2 years :smile: I loved Flaubert's 'Madame Bovary' (there are several English translations out there, and personally I love European literature!), also Voltaire's poetry is a good read, again there are translations available.

If you don't fancy French literature (and tbh I wouldn't blame you!) then you could try the diary of Samuel Pepys, Swift's 'Gulliver's travels' or 'Evelina' by Fanny Burney.

I agree with trying to stick with what you enjoy, though - you could maybe mention a couple of non-20th C. works in your PS but if that's your passion, then I'd advise you to make sure it comes across!

Good luck :smile:

Thanks, that was really helpful! Wish I was dilligent enough to find work at a bookstore, sounds like a dream job for me :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending